Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Pencil me in for this, just let me know which weekend. Speaking from experience, Poole can be a bu**er from or to pompey at almost any state of the tide in that a favorable Solent/Hurst tide for one direction can mean a foul tide for the other.

If I've got a week to spare, I'd rather be in France or the CIs. Stuff the reed beds!
    Grow old disgracefully, it's more fun

Seajet is offline Registered User

Pete & Topcat,

I'm not retired - though it sometimes feels that way - just self employed; I got the message a while ago that if I'm going to work for an idiot, it may as well be me.

I was merely suggesting that for those who can afford the time, Wareham is well worth visiting.

On one occasion trundling among the reed beds on the River Frome I was met around the tight bend at Redcliffe by an 'Aquacar' coming the other way, hazard lights flashing,crewed by 2 chaps in top hats & tails; you don't get that sort of professionalism from the other nutters in France or the Channel Islands !
    Last edited by Seajet; 31-10-11 at 07:01.
    Anderson 22 Owners Association www.anderson22class.co.uk

The idea of sailing in company is for us novices to provide mutual support. The whole trip is free and easy and anyone can join any part, in any direction and leave at any time.

Has anyone had chance to check through the tidal planning yet?
    Last edited by PhillM; 31-10-11 at 09:43.
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

Phill,

it's too early for anything other than nominal planning; of course the weather ( in my experience only forecastable a few days ahead ! ) is as least much a consideration as the tides, probably moreso.

Laundryman is offline Registered User

Default Solent to Poole

Sorry, I'm a bit late replying to this thread but if you are compiling a list, count me in please. I may have just done the Cherbourg trip but still consider myself a novice! I wonder what criteria you have to meet to make the jump from novice to .......?
    Thanks. Alan

Thanks Seajet,

I agree that the weather is critical. In my planning I was assuming that we would go in the following circumstances:

Min wind F3. Max wind F4 gusting F5
    Sea smooth or slight, Vis good and weather dry.
    Fair weather in the period before and throughout planned sail - no big storms prior leaving big seas and nothing in the forecast to worry us.
    From what I have read, Poole is ok in everything below a gale but we must ensure that we donít end up wind-over tide at Hurst.

How does that sound?

Re the tides, I know its early to do a proper plan but never have done a trip with two tidal gates, I would appreciate feedback. Am I thinking on the right lines?

Cheers,
    Phill
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

Phill,

yes the right lines perfectly.

Laundryman,

I've been sailing for over 40 years and am still a novice; when I stop learning, you can prye my cold dead hand off the tiller !

onesea is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Phill,

yes the right lines perfectly.

Laundryman,

I've been sailing for over 40 years and am still a novice; when I stop learning, you can prye my cold dead hand off the tiller !
    If a person does not think like that, I would not want to sail with them...

Just caught up on this one.

The suggested weekend sounds good from the tide point of view. If you use North Channel rather than Needles there is little to worry about if you catch it just as the ebb starts. Only downside is that it is harder making west from there than the Needles in the usual SW, but you do have the full ebb to take you to Poole Fairway in time to catch the new flood into
    Poole.

As already noted the stream is strongest through the Haven +/- 2 hours LW and it can be a bit hectic on a nice day at weekends! You can use East Looe which is now very well marked, but shallow and the ebb is confusing at the Haven. Best used when leaving as it saves the long haul up the Swash. Going east is more demanding if you want to get well up the Solent on one tide, so leaving Poole a couple of hours before low water gives you a push out of the harbour. The flow is weak in the north part of the bay, so you will get maximum benefit as you get closer to the Solent - again North Channel is the preferred way in. Great feeling when the flood picks you up and you are rushing past the beach showing 7-8 SOG.

When you are in Poole you have some choice of anchorages - Pottery Pier is a favourite, but can be busy, and is a lee shore. Alternatives are South Deep and Shipstal Point. To go on the Quay you have to use the Marina, which is often full at weekends. Best if you want a marina is Poole Yacht Club, just past the ferry terminal. All tide access, good clubhouse and 10 minutes walk from the fleshpots of the Quay. Although members club visitors are welcome. Quite a few clubs and associations (Southerleys and Hillyards for example) use it for their rallys. If you are sufficiently organised to know numbers in advance you will probably be able to arrange pre booked space.

Just something to think about (having kept a Jaguar 25 in Poole harbour since 1991 up until a couple of years ago), according to my old log books for roughly the dates you're planning the trip for, the wind has mainly been from between SE and NE.......

Given those winds, the Portsmouth to Poole trip would be perfectly viable, and the potential windward passage back could be then be over two legs (Poole to Yarmouth, then Yarmouth to Portsmouth).

Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast