Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
    ianat182 is offline Registered User

Wink

Just a word of warning; when crossing Christchurch Bay and in the vicinity of Hengistbury Head there are many long-line and pots in the area with very small buoys marking them, well out into the bay, even close to racing marks(yellow buoys), and over the shallower waters here when approaching from the North Head mark.
    Also be aware of the ferry at the Poole entrance which has right of way here.
    Unless you have more than deep pockets I would not recommend the Salterns Marina on your right hand side at 43 for a 25 ft overnighter 2 years ago( think Sandbanks !!)

ianat182

Default Poole Entrance Tides

The big ebb runs from 3 to 0.5 hr before LW at the entrance
    The big flood runs from 0.5 to 3.5 hrs after LW at the entrance.

The small ebb runs from 4.5 to 5.5 hrs after LW
    The small flood runs from 4.5 to 3.5 hrs before LW
    The smaller ebb and flood are about half the rate of the big ones so not such a problem.

Slack slots are:
    5 and 3 hrs before LW,
    at LW, and
    4 hrs after LW.

Note: Times are for Poole entrance
    (http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide...px?PortID=0036 give times for Poole entrance).
    Most publications refer to Poole Quay or Bridge where LW is 0.5 hr later than the entrance.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by LadyInBed View Post
    The big ebb runs from 3 to 0.5 hr before LW at the entrance
    The big flood runs from 0.5 to 3.5 hrs after LW at the entrance.

The small ebb runs from 4.5 to 5.5 hrs after LW
    The small flood runs from 4.5 to 3.5 hrs before LW
    The smaller ebb and flood are about half the rate of the big ones so not such a problem.

Slack slots are:
    5 and 3 hrs before LW,
    at LW, and
    4 hrs after LW.

Note: Times are for Poole entrance
    (http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide...px?PortID=0036 give times for Poole entrance).
    Most publications refer to Poole Quay or Bridge where LW is 0.5 hr later than the entrance.
    Thank you that it REALLY helpful.
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post

Looking at the Almanac, it appears that the weekend of 4th/5th/6th May would meet the requirements. All times in UTC.

Friday May 4th Portsmouth
    0240 1.0
    0922 4.5
    1501 0.8
    So should facilitate a good morning sail to Yarmouth for people comming from the East.

Saturday May 5th Portsmouth
    0329 0.7
    1015 4.7
    1550 0.6
    So if we leave 0915 UTC (10.15 BST) we should catch the stream going west. We should aim to arrive Poole just after LW, which is at 1535 0.5.

Sunday May 6th
    Poole LW is at 0403 0.4 so looking at the tidal estimate in the Almanac it looks like the tide will be on the ebb from 10.00 onwards.

Portsmouth
    1106 4.8
    1638 0.5
    So using HW +5 we can get back into the Solent from 1606 onwards.

Depending on the weather we could then go back into Yarmouth or use the stream to get down as far as Cowes before sunset at 1952. I guess the decision as where each person wants to stop will be up to each skipper and depend on how tired they and their crew are.

Monday 7th May - for those who dont want to carry on East from Yarmouth until Monday (and that most likly would include us)

Portsmouth
    0505 0.4
    1159 4.9
    1726 0.5
    So there could be an early morning sail back eastwards.

My wife has also suggested that on the way back we could use Lyimington instead of Yarmnouth, so that if the weather breaks, we could at least get the train home and get to work for a few days, then return to pick up the boat when it improves. We dont want to get into a position where we are under pressure to get home for work and end up sailing in marginal weather.

As I say, I am VERY new to this sort of planning and would appreciate feedback, corrections and of course better suggestions!

OK so I have been sorting out holidays etc and the above works for me and the family. Of course its subject to weather and confirmation closer to the time.

Can we please take a roll call of who is in (in principle). Russell has been talking to the marinas, and there is nothing big planned in either that weekend.

If you are happy with the dates, please add your name below and PM me with your email address.

Thanks,
    Phill
    Looking for Cheverton boats to feature on http://cheverton.org.uk/

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PhillM View Post
    If you are happy with the dates, please add your name below and PM me with your email address.
    I'm in!

My leave year is synced to the tax year, so I'll probably be hoarding the days by that point and may not take both the Friday and Monday off. But I can reach Yarmouth late on Friday or return to Southampton late on Sunday, depending on which the tide serves best.

EDIT: Just noticed the Monday is a bank holiday. Will probably be able to do all four days in that case - hurrah!

Pete
    Last edited by prv; 10-11-11 at 23:19.

Seajet is offline Registered User

Count me in ! Those tide times look particularly handy BTW.

Ru88ell is offline Registered User

I'm in.

Please note that the list of participants will be kept in the first post of the topic.

Put me down too please.

Wouldn't mind some company from off Langstone to Yarmouth on the Friday.
    "ICUIDADO! LLAMA!"

Seajet is offline Registered User

Giblets,

I presume you mean to sail in company ? I should be able - and happy - to do that, though I'm sure there will be lots of boats coming from Chichester.

Andy

prv is online now Registered User

Is the plan to have some kind of meetup in Yarmouth as well as Poole? If I'm merely pre-positioning to catch a tide through the Needles, I tend to just tuck in behind Hurst Spit for the night, being free, without the hassle of mooring up, and quicker to get away. But I might be tempted in to the bright lights if there's beer involved

Pete

Page 7 of 58 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast