ALPHORA is offline Registered User

Default Monark Crescent Outboard

I have been given a Monark Crescent outboard to sort out for a friend. It is twin cylinder, probably about 10 to 15 hp. It starts and runs well but there is very little water flow from the tell tale, even after a good flush out, and none appears at tick over. I would like to check the impeller. I have removed the gearbox, no impeller at the bottom of the leg. I have loosened the bolts holding the top of the leg to the bottom of the crankcase. The leg has dropped about half an inch and is now stuck fast. Does anyone know the correct routine for stripping this outboard. I do not want to resort to force as if I break anything I realise there is little chance of finding replacement parts. Any advice would be most gratefully received.

VicS is offline Registered User

I'd have expected to find the water pump on the top of the gear case where it is driven by the vertical drive shaft and is just immersed in the water.

Engines with a fixed drive ( no clutch) can have them behind the prop, driven by the propshaft.

Id not expect to find the pump above the normal waterline.
    Last edited by VicS; 25-10-11 at 19:52.

ALPHORA is offline Registered User

thanks, I will have a good look at the bottom of the leg and report back. There is a small plate on the side of the leg, just above the prop, with holes in it that I have not managed to free yet. I will have a look under it when it is freed off. Are the water pumps usually the normal rubber impeller type?

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ALPHORA View Post
    thanks, I will have a good look at the bottom of the leg and report back. There is a small plate on the side of the leg, just above the prop, with holes in it that I have not managed to free yet. I will have a look under it when it is freed off. Are the water pumps usually the normal rubber impeller type?
    The plate with holes in it is possibly the water intake.
    You have had the gearcase off so no hidden joint in the gear shift rod to find ?

I'd expect a flexible vane pump. Seagulls are the only ones I know of that have a rigid impeller although there are probably others.

. I'd think Bill Higham Marine will be the only chance of finding any spares.

I take it it really is a water cooled engine ... not air cooled with a water cooled exhaust .. I'd not expect an engine that size to be air cooled

Hi Alphora,

just read your post and registered immideately.

These kind of Swedish outboards have the same shaft from 9 H.P. up to 25 H.P.
    There are in fact 2 impellers in the middle of the shaft, one for the cooling of the motor, another one for the bilge pump which is built in (you'll find a capped connector at the top of the shaft to adapt a hose there).

Spare impellers can hardly be found, I still have some of them as I have two 25 H.P. motors. I even have some spare part catalogues of some of the motors which I bought over the years as I started to collect these old outboards but stopped with it and sold most of them.

Please post a photo of your motor, then I will probably be able to tell you what motor you call your own.

Regards
    Bernd

P.S. My technical English is not the best...
    Last edited by neuenbaumer; 02-01-12 at 13:43. Reason: correction of technical information

Quote Originally Posted by neuenbaumer View Post
    Hi Alphora,

just read your post and registered immideately.

These kind of Swedish outboards have the same shaft from 9 H.P. up to 25 H.P.
    There are in fact 2 impellers in the middle of the shaft, one for the cooling of the motor, another one for the bilge pump which is built in (you'll find a capped connector at the top of the shaft to adapt a hose there).

Spare impellers can hardly be found, I still have some of them as I have two 25 H.P. motors. I even have some spare part catalogues of some of the motors which I bought over the years as I started to collect these old outboards but stopped with it and sold most of them.

Please post a photo of your motor, then I will probably be able to tell you what motor you call your own.

Regards
    Bernd

P.S. My technical English is not the best...
    Hi neuenbaumer,
    I,ve been searching for Crescent outboard motor parts and read your post regarding impellers. I have a 9 h.p Crescent Marin 2 cylinder model No. nr173 and I need two new impellers. the old ones on my engine are 10 vanes (outside Diameter approx. 46.7mm with shaft diam. approx 13mm) do you still have the spare impellers you mentioned. I believe the original part number was 2853-1046-11.
    I am very interested in buying the two impellers if they suit my engine

Regards
    Haydn

Hi Haydn,

I am on holidays so I could not reply earlier.
    If you would send me a photo of the leg of your motor, I could see, if its the same leg for which the impellers are made.
    I am pretty sure that it will fit as the 90 is similar to the 140 and up to 250 Crescent/Archimedes/Monark and Volvo did not vary in most of the spares.

As I do not have catalogues here I cannot check the no.

If you have a photo please send me a private message an I'll give you my email-address.

Kind regards
    Bernd
    Last edited by neuenbaumer; 19-07-12 at 12:02.

Vailinij is offline New User

hi Neuenbaumer
    I have a Crescent 60hp, its not pumping any water out and ive got no idea about outboard motor, can you help me
    Cheer Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Vailinij View Post
    hi Neuenbaumer
    I have a Crescent 60hp, its not pumping any water out and ive got no idea about outboard motor, can you help me
    Cheer Jack
    Hi Jack,

I'm sorry,

I neither have parts nor any idea about the 60 h.p. engine itself.

If it's similar to the 45 H.P. engine it might be the impeller pump, I thinks its a double one, too. One for the cooling, one for the bilge pump.

The pump is situated in the middle of the shaft. Maybe the impeller or the bilge pump is o.k. then you can just switch the impellers to use the best for cooling.

Did you check, if anything is blocked at the water intake?

Regards
    Bernd

Vailinij is offline New User

Default Crescent outboard

Hi Neuembaumer

Thanks i'll have a look, thanks again.

Jack