Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

The report is very much a financial assessment of the business case for moorings - and on that level it is well written.

Willing to moor on a rubber band? The majority of those mooring will only see that there is a handy bouy to tie to, they will not know or care what is underneath. The suggestion is that most will not be overnighting anyway, which seems likely to me too.

Their reliability (or otherwise) will only be proven by use & I certainly wouldn't worry about using one, cos any failure would soon be well publicised!
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

One of the assumptions made in that report, if I read it correctly, is that the 'free anchoring area' will only be available once all moorings are taken. Which means, for 200 moorings, for 99% of the year there would be no free anchoring. Apart from anything else, 200 regimented mooring buoys in the bay would be an absolute travesty.

From the supporting introduction when the report was launched on thursday it seems the suggestion of 200 buoys was an attempt to get a best case scenario benchmark for the business model. The growing feeling is that 50 EFMs plus anchoring should meet the conservation need, though this is still being argued.

The brief for the report specified providing moorings for all visiting boats as a base line, and then working back to see if there was an optimum number which improved economic viability. Unsuprisingly, as we see, there is not.
    Is Conservation for wildlife or conservationists?
    http://boatownersresponse.org.uk

Quote Originally Posted by oldharry View Post
    The growing feeling is that 50 EFMs plus anchoring should meet the conservation need, though this is still being argued.
    Is there an assumption that anchoring would be an "overflow" option, only used once all the bungee moorings are taken? Because I often prefer to anchor, especially where there are lots of moorings and lying to my own gear will let me get a little further from the crowd.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by galadriel View Post
    This doesnt tell us how many seahorse have been killed as a result of tagging, no one will ever know, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions what may have happened. You will observe here that the number of divers increases after the BBC and Chris Packham publicise yet again the location of this protected species. Can you hear the outcry if they did the same with the location of, say, a peregrine falcon nest!

The report is from the Studland bay group.

"The diver reports ran from 10/4/11 through until 30/9/11 and were limited to divers diving from the beach in Daylight.

The Total =278

and the break up for each month is :

April =14
    May=38
    June=49
    July=68
    August=75
    September =34

Most of the dives took place on Fridays and Saturdays with the SHT coming down around 0830 hrs and diving for 2.0 hrs

The independent divers were normally spread over the Friday and Saturdays too but would be much later in arriving ,after lunch and dive for approx 1.5 hrs .

It is has been confirmed that these independent divers were hoping to catch sight of Seahorses .

Examples of reports are :

18/6/11 ..Saturday 12 Divers 9 SHT with 3 independent

29/8/11..Bank Holiday Monday 15 divers SHT

30/9/11 ...Friday late Sept heatwave 10 divers 6 of which were SHT and 4 independent .

Between 15/6/11 and 29/7/11 there were numerous reports of night time Polish divers diving off South Beach in groups of 12 -17 ,using spearguns , very bright lights and normally arriving in a minibus and van after midnight.
    These divers were interviewed by Dorset Police on the night of the 29/7/11 and were warned about the noise and disturbance to villagers and sheltering boats , they said they were only fishing and did not return .
    On the 31/7/11 the South Beach Cafe was broken into and a fire was started causing major damage ,nothing was stolen but all fridge doors were left open .

So together with these Polish divers and a couple of divers working from the Middle Beach the real total could be much higher around 350 in total.

There were 7 people submitting reports on Divers , their names are available ,but have been witheld by request .

Prior to 2007 the average divers seen throught the summer was normally less than 10 ."

The one observation I have made from this, is that on several occasions, there will have been far more diving activity than boating!
    Simply astonishing that those idiots can be so short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    Is there an assumption that anchoring would be an "overflow" option, only used once all the bungee moorings are taken? Because I often prefer to anchor, especially where there are lots of moorings and lying to my own gear will let me get a little further from the crowd.

Pete
    Thats what we (i.e. BORG and RYA) are pushing for. Nobody is actually saying no anchoring any more, but some are still unhappy about it. The ideal will be if the moorings are there for those who want them - which DWT survey figures suggest would be 2 out of 3 boats. I myself prefer to lie to my own ground tackle generally so dont want to see this stopped here!

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    The report is very much a financial assessment of the business case for moorings - and on that level it is well written.

Willing to moor on a rubber band? The majority of those mooring will only see that there is a handy bouy to tie to, they will not know or care what is underneath. The suggestion is that most will not be overnighting anyway, which seems likely to me too.

Their reliability (or otherwise) will only be proven by use & I certainly wouldn't worry about using one, cos any failure would soon be well publicised!
    I think that is right. There is the probability that a pilot scheme will be funbded and run to see whether they work. Studland proposed obtaining a hulk, and leaving it on an EFM in a more exposed part of the bay. They would then monitor how soon it comes ashore! This suggestion was actually widely welcomed, and the feasability of a pilot study by MMO on these lines is being looked at.

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings

Surely a hulk would damage the grass on its way ashore.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Surely a hulk would damage the grass on its way ashore.

I love the idea of using a hulk to test these moorings, we could hold a contest as to what boat qualifies, I'm sure Sunseekers could provide something...

Having researched these Environmentally Friendly Moorings ( EFM's ) a bit, I'm with Old Harry, I'll stick to my trusty Bruce ta very much, it's seen me through 2 severe gales at Studland; and as mentioned before, with a 'council corkscrew mooring' one never knows if it was last used by a 50 footer in a gale and is hanging on by its' toenails !

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast