Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

Default MiFi - is it any good?

I currently use a Vodafone dongle for connection to the net but I have to say that unless I'm in the right place and standing with one leg at a 45 degree angle with my right arm pointing to the sun it doesn't work!
    I've come accross a Mifi device which apparently provides good realiable wireless broadband connection. Does anyone have any experience of these things, and also would I be able to use the contract SIM card that I currently use in the useless dongle or do I need to use a SIM that's "made" for the Mifi device?

dmmbruce is offline Registered User

I have read that these are good, but a development of them called the Wirie is considerably better.

Sorry no experience, just read it on blogs.

Mike
    Wrong no man, write no woman.

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Thepipdoc View Post
    I currently use a Vodafone dongle... I've come accross a Mifi device which apparently provides good realiable wireless broadband connection ... would I be able to use the contract SIM card that I currently use in the useless dongle ...
    If you can't get a decent signal with your dongle, the MiFi won't be any better. However, it does have the advantage that you can place it in an area with a good signal.

If you get one from Vodafone, or an unlocked one, it will work with your SIM card.

Look on eBay, loads there, search for: (3G, wireless G, MiFi, Mi-Fi) (unlocked, voda*) wireless router
    Nigel
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info

Vara is offline Registered User

Have you tried putting an extension USB cable on your dongle, you can go up to 5 metres with it ( probably more) and with the addition of a freezer bag and lastic band you can usually find the optimum location.

As I understand it the MIFI is designed to give a wireless network, so if you only have one laptop, probably a waste of resource.
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

lukedh is offline Registered User

mifi is good if you use Linux as it gives you a wifi connection, whereas dongles generally don't work at all. You may also get G3+ connection speed depending on your provider.

Genoa is offline Registered User

Default T Mobile Pointer

Hi
    I have this device and its pretty good. It also has a CR9 socket for an external aerial (you can get unidirectional ones). T Mobile do a great offer - 6 months wifi on a PAYGO contract - 20!!! so plus the device its a massive 80 for 6 months. I have only run out of "credit" once - when my son decided to watch the last spooks series on the MiFi so its a pretty decent package.
    An external aerial can cost ~25 and gives you several miles offshore and means the thing can be sheltered.
    Hope this helps,
    P

arawa is offline Registered User

I "upgraded" to one of these from a standard broadband dongle so that, as well as me using a laptop, my wife could use her Ipad.

Most of my cruising is on the West Coast of Scotland where mobile signals can be weak. Much of the time I could get a GPRS signal of sorts with the dongle, but I have found that there are many more blank areas with the mifi. But where there is a strong signal it works very well.

Thepipdoc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    Hi
    I have this device and its pretty good. It also has a CR9 socket for an external aerial (you can get unidirectional ones). T Mobile do a great offer - 6 months wifi on a PAYGO contract - 20!!! so plus the device its a massive 80 for 6 months. I have only run out of "credit" once - when my son decided to watch the last spooks series on the MiFi so its a pretty decent package.
    An external aerial can cost ~25 and gives you several miles offshore and means the thing can be sheltered.
    Hope this helps,
    P
    Do you mean this?

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...-pointer-payg/

I can't seem to find the offer you are referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepipdoc View Post
    I currently use a Vodafone dongle for connection to the net but I have to say that unless I'm in the right place and standing with one leg at a 45 degree angle with my right arm pointing to the sun it doesn't work!
    I've come accross a Mifi device which apparently provides good realiable wireless broadband connection. Does anyone have any experience of these things, and also would I be able to use the contract SIM card that I currently use in the useless dongle or do I need to use a SIM that's "made" for the Mifi device?
    Don't know where you are, but I've found either of my two Nokia mobiles are far more sensitive and use less power than the Huawei (sic) dongle.

I'd suggest trying one of the HDSPA mobile phones rather than the USB modem.

nigelmercier is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Genoa View Post
    I have this device and its pretty good...
    Which device would that be, there are dozens ...
    Nigel
    FREE Bavaria Yacht Forum: www.bavariayacht.info