Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Jurgen's Avatar
    Jurgen is online now Registered User
    Location : Bristol Boat in Brixham
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    847

    Default Stolen from Torbay Seaways Boat Yard

    A sad story to tell, my boat had been out of the water for 12 days in Torquay.

    The goood lady wife noticed the following were missing from the boat when we went back in the water.

    Chartplotter x 2
    Depth Finder x 1
    Command mic for VHF x 1
    Dubarry Sailing Boots x 1
    Laptop x 1
    Ipod x 1
    Life Jackets x 2
    Grab Bag inc Flares etc x 1
    Binoculers x 1

    So much for a secure boat yard!

    The police were not interested, my insurance company were not interested.

    The lesson,

    NEVER LEAVE EXSPENSIVE KIT ON BOARD!
    Last edited by Jurgen; 15-11-11 at 09:15. Reason: change of details

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    175

    Default

    what a pity ! sorry to hear that !


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
    A sad story to tell, my boat had been out of the water for 12 days in Torquay.

    The goood lady wife noticed the following were missing from the boat when we went back in the water.

    Chartplotter x 2
    Depth Finder x 1
    Command mic for VHF x 1
    Dubarry Sailing Boots x 1
    Laptop x 1
    Ipod x 1
    Life Jackets x 2
    Grab Bag inc Flares etc x 1
    Binoculers x 1

    So much for a secure boat yard!

    The police were not interested, my insurance company were not interested, the boat yard was not interested.

    The lesson,

    NEVER LEAVE EXSPENSIVE KIT ON BOARD!
    Not good. Is this the place on the road from Newton Abbot, on the left just before the first roundabout going into Torquay?

    Seems there is a lot of thieving going on around here (W country), surprised that the boatyard aren't showing any interest, even more surprised about your insurance co, have they given any reasons? I'd certainly be pursuing them hard.

  4. #4
    Jurgen's Avatar
    Jurgen is online now Registered User
    Location : Bristol Boat in Brixham
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    Not good. Is this the place on the road from Newton Abbot, on the left just before the first roundabout going into Torquay?

    Seems there is a lot of thieving going on around here (W country), surprised that the boatyard aren't showing any interest, even more surprised about your insurance co, have they given any reasons? I'd certainly be pursuing them hard.
    No It's in Torquay Marina next to the Fuel Station

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
    So much for a secure boat yard!
    . . . , the boat yard was not interested.
    Then it's about time the boat yard took an interest. On their website they advertise storage in a "secure yard". (see link below). If their yard is not reasonably secure they are not supplying what they offered.

    http://www.torbayseaways.co.uk/9.html
    'The lyf so short
    the arte so long to lerne.'

  6. #6
    Jurgen's Avatar
    Jurgen is online now Registered User
    Location : Bristol Boat in Brixham
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    847

    Default

    Have spoken to Torbay Seaways who were not informed of the theft by my engineer who had promised to inform them of the teft so apologies to John @ Torbay Seaways!

  7. #7

    Default Alleged Theft Torbay Seaways Boat Yard

    It was quite a shock to read the comments posted on this site regarding an alleged theft of a boats contents from my boat yard at Torquay. It was more shocking to read than we had been accussed of not being interested especially considering this is the first we had heard about it.

    If a theft had occurred it is normal practice to notify the owners of the business
    as soon as possible and this clearly wasn't the case.

    To make accusations that could damage a companies reputation that are untrue
    could be deemed slanderous.

    We take theft or damage of any kind very seriously and we can report that since trading from 1977 we haven't had any reports of boats or equipment been stolen from our premises.

    I have spoken this morning with the owner of the boat in question and he has told me that he contacted Marine Enginnering Looe and Marina Devolpments LTD and assumed wrongly that they had spoken with me.

    John Thompson
    Director Torbay Seaways

  8. #8
    BlueChip's Avatar
    BlueChip is offline Registered User
    Location : Bucks/Plymouth
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    3,888

    Default

    But why weren't the Police or your insurance company interested?
    The only reason I can think of is if you left the boat open and there was no forced entry.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Posts
    10,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seaways View Post
    It was quite a shock to read the comments posted on this site regarding an alleged theft of a boats contents from my boat yard at Torquay. It was more shocking to read than we had been accussed of not being interested especially considering this is the first we had heard about it.

    If a theft had occurred it is normal practice to notify the owners of the business
    as soon as possible and this clearly wasn't the case.

    To make accusations that could damage a companies reputation that are untrue
    could be deemed slanderous.

    We take theft or damage of any kind very seriously and we can report that since trading from 1977 we haven't had any reports of boats or equipment been stolen from our premises.

    I have spoken this morning with the owner of the boat in question and he has told me that he contacted Marine Enginnering Looe and Marina Devolpments LTD and assumed wrongly that they had spoken with me.

    John Thompson
    Director Torbay Seaways
    Always dangerous when people make assumptions. Glad you've now put the record straight.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seaways View Post
    To make accusations that could damage a companies reputation that are untrue could be deemed slanderous.
    It sounds to me from your post that you are more concerned about defending yourself from slander than helping your customer. I would recommend to calm down and work with your customer to help identify the responsible(s). You do not mention if you have cameras monitoring the yard.
    Last edited by haydude; 11-01-12 at 13:35.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •