Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PeterGibbs is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GORDONREID View Post
    I am not sure which course to do, hope you can help

I have done about 1300Nm+ over the past two years including-

800 miles as a watchleader onboard Ocean youth trust global challenge yachts and their oyster 70, in charge of a watch of 12-24 year olds who have not sailed before

500 miles of long passages over 50Nm onboard 30ft yachts

As well the above I sail almost every week onboard my westerly tempest as a skipper/crew with my father who is of the same ability as me so we share the responsibility.
    I am happy enough with handling the yacht under sail and power, I am also happy with tides.

I am not sure whether to do the day skipper course, the coastal skipper course or the prep and the Yachtmaster coastal exam.
    If I was to do the exam is it possible to do it onboard my own yacht which is based in NE scotland
    I have all my STCW95 certificates, comp. crew and my day skipper theory.
    Seems you are well down the practical experience curve, perhaps not yet fully scoped on longer passages (24 hrs) as skipper. I strongly recommend you get YM theory done ASAP. Then a couple of longer passages. After that, whether you go for a test (YM practical) where someone comes on board to check out how you apply the theory is almost a matter of taste, not necessity.

All the other options are lesser, even repetitive approaches to getting up to speed.

BTW - this is how I did it, and I'm still afloat.....

PWG

galadriel is offline Registered User

The OP is still a little short on sea miles, but as you suggest, do the YM theory, then do the YM practical.

YM practical requirements (from the RYA site)

" 50 days, 2,500 miles including at least 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination, acting as skipper for at least two of these passages and including two which have involved overnight passages. 5 days experience as skipper. At least half this mileage and passages must be in tidal waters. All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam."
    "You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today
    And then one day you find ten years have got behind you"
    Roger Waters 1972

Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper are both course completion certificates, handed out by the sailing school.
    Yachtmaster Coastal, Offshore and Ocean are examined by an external examiner.
    I have dayskipper and recently completed Yachtmaster Coastal (still awaiting the RYA certificate to come through).
    I would say that you are well passed Dayskipper and would find the course a little boring. I would suggest that you do Yachtmaster theory which is split into three exams - Weather, Navigation, ColRegs and then go for YM Coastal Practical. You can do it in your own boat, however I think all you will get is an examiner coming on board for a day and giving you a throughly hard time (I guess it depends on the examiner but mine was very thorough) I would have found this very tough on my own. I would therefore suggest that you do a YM Coastal prep week with others and finish it with the exam, with a sailing school, you will get to learn a hell of a lot and have some support on the big day.
    Good Luck