Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

We're not liveaboards but bought a boat in Croatia last year and have been over there 7 times this year for a week or more sailing.

Marinas very expensive for overnight stays compared to the UK but almost never use them outside our base marina. Have explored Sibenik to Mljet - the middle bits - this year with many excellent anchorages and restaurants, and only once had trouble finding a space provided we came in late enough in the afternoon for the day-anchoring lot to head back to marinas for the night.

Never once been checked for paperwork although we have kept all the bits up to date.

Absolutely love the country so far, especially since a forumite gave a good way to understand their manner, "Think of Yorkshiremen with tans". it's so right - you can share a laugh or receive congratulations with just a slight twitch of eyebrow.

Don't like 777 though - we have it and it's comprehensive but gives very little more than a detailed chart does. A book called Adriatic Anchorages has been our bible - photos and subjective narrative from a long established local.

thanks guys for all the info ,
    please keep them coming I am sure other who are plainning to go there will find the info very usefull .

www.bluewatersailor3.webs.com

affinite is offline Registered User

Default Tie up tight !

When you anchor do make sure you are well dug in and with a decent scope. Keep a close eye on forcasts and make sure you are secure and in a good sheltered anchorage if a Bora is predicted. We had two nightmare nights with a fierce Bora which came almost from nowhere and caused a large mobo to drag its anchor and bash into us. On the second occasion the wind backed 180 deg and got up from 5 - 45kts in under 10 minutes. We then dragged and spent the next 3 hours trying to re anchor in zero visibilty in a completely enclosed anchorage.

We liked the pretty towns and culture (dont miss Dubrovnik) when cruising as a couple but found the water V.cold and missed the beaches when the familly came out to join us.
    BTW - enjoyed Kotor (Montenegro) on the way up from Greece.

jimbaerselman is offline Registered User

Default Rules and Regulations

For the rules and regulations on entering Croatia see http://www.jimbsail.info/going-forei...ntries/croatia

I've edited the other Croatia pages for my site, but they won't be published for another couple of weeks until I've completed the fact checking. Sorry about that! But it's good to see the (very similar) opinions given above. I loved the quote about a Yorkshireman with a tan! That's new, and puts across the rather abrupt manner of the locals very well.
    Last edited by jimbaerselman; 24-04-12 at 13:33.
    JimB
    http://jimbsail.info helps Skippers plan Europe Cruises

mikef is online now Registered User

We bought our current boat in Italy at the beginning of last year and have based it in Marina Frapa near Split for the last 2 seasons. Previously we had 8 seasons in the W Med. Personally I don't understand comments about Croatia being expensive. Yes you have to buy a cruising vignette and pay a tourist tax on entry which for our 53 footer was 400 this year but in every other respect we find Croatia cheaper than the W Med and probably cheaper than the UK. We pay about 9000 per year for an annual mooring in Frapa, which is an excellent marina, and that is substantially cheaper than it would be in the Balearics or SoF or even the Solent. Fuel is just over 1.00 per litre which again is cheaper than the W Med and the UK. It is true that visitor mooring charges in marinas during high season are costly (about 80-100 per night for us) but there are so many anchorages that you don't need to spend many nights in a marina if you don't want to. Yes the Bora can blow up violently but it is usually well forecast giving you time to find a marina. Yes some anchorages do not offer very good holding and it is for this reason that many boats take lines ashore when anchoring and we have found this method of mooring very secure even if you can't get a good set on your anchor. Our only criticism would be food and drink. We find most supermarkets not to be well stocked and often expensive. Eating out is relatively cheap but predictable ie grilled meat or fish and they have a tendency to cremate anything they cook. You can find decent restaurants but then you will pay more. You need to pay more than 20/bottle in a restaurant to find a half decent bottle of wine.
    We agree with other comments about the island landscape. In the north of the Dalmatian chain, it's all a bit moonscape like and the further north you go, the more likely you are to experience a bora wind. South of Split the islands are more wooded and to our eyes more attractive. Our favourites are Mjlet, Korcula and the Pakleni islands. For towns, Hvar, Split, Trogir, Korcula and Dubrovnik worth a visit.
    We really like Croatian cruising and for the foreseeable future we aren't going anywhere else

Very good observations above. We've been cruising Croatia since 2008 and it can be expensive or cheap - it's really up to you to choose where you eat out and whether you anchor, moor, use a town quay or use a marina.

I'm a Yorkshireman (with a tan when in Croatia!) so perhaps that's why I feel at home there but, apart from the odd grumpy person you can find anywhere, I would say the Croatians and very friendly and very helpful.

The differences between say, Kornati and Mljet in terms of the scenery and the costs of eating out is incredible, even though they are only a couple of day sails apart. However, we loved the peace and solitude of the Kornatis even in August so it is worth a visit but take enough provisions to eat on board!

Although a huge simplification, to my mind in terms of cuisine, architecture and geography, Croatia is like a mixture of Italy and Greece with different areas leaning more one way or the other.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    We bought our current boat in Italy at the beginning of last year and have based it in Marina Frapa near Split for the last 2 seasons. Previously we had 8 seasons in the W Med. Personally I don't understand comments about Croatia being expensive. Yes you have to buy a cruising vignette and pay a tourist tax on entry which for our 53 footer was 400 this year but in every other respect we find Croatia cheaper than the W Med and probably cheaper than the UK. We pay about 9000 per year for an annual mooring in Frapa, which is an excellent marina, and that is substantially cheaper than it would be in the Balearics or SoF or even the Solent. Fuel is just over 1.00 per litre which again is cheaper than the W Med and the UK. It is true that visitor mooring charges in marinas during high season are costly (about 80-100 per night for us) but there are so many anchorages that you don't need to spend many nights in a marina if you don't want to. Yes the Bora can blow up violently but it is usually well forecast giving you time to find a marina. Yes some anchorages do not offer very good holding and it is for this reason that many boats take lines ashore when anchoring and we have found this method of mooring very secure even if you can't get a good set on your anchor. Our only criticism would be food and drink. We find most supermarkets not to be well stocked and often expensive. Eating out is relatively cheap but predictable ie grilled meat or fish and they have a tendency to cremate anything they cook. You can find decent restaurants but then you will pay more. You need to pay more than 20/bottle in a restaurant to find a half decent bottle of wine.
    We agree with other comments about the island landscape. In the north of the Dalmatian chain, it's all a bit moonscape like and the further north you go, the more likely you are to experience a bora wind. South of Split the islands are more wooded and to our eyes more attractive. Our favourites are Mjlet, Korcula and the Pakleni islands. For towns, Hvar, Split, Trogir, Korcula and Dubrovnik worth a visit.
    We really like Croatian cruising and for the foreseeable future we aren't going anywhere else
    Why do you compare it with the western med? We all know the eastern med is a lot cheaper. You mention 9000 euros for a years berthing, for 53', I find that expensive, I pay 7000 for 57' in Gouvia and that's an expensive place in Greece, 400 for a cruising vignette?? Why? Paying for anchoring? why? OK fuel at 1 euro a litre is cheap and as a mobo, important. I think I will give Croatia a miss for some time.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

we 've been on summer holiday in Croatia for 11 years until 2010.
    did lots of cruising, and several 4/5 day's live aboard trips.

agree with most info posted above,

also for us, best part is south of Split until Dubrovnic,
    islands Brac, Hvar and Mljet,

it was very rare that we went in to a harbour, we mostly stayed on foc anchorages, you find them everywhere...
    we also used the 777 pilot, now in collor version,

here is a report with pics from 2 of our holliday's, with lots of interesting places

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212996

in 2010 we did a adriatic crossing (29ft boat) to Italy and back
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257139

for me Croatia is the best cruising area in the med,
    now our boat is in SOF, because it is closer, we go more often by car, or cheap airflights,
    and the language, us Belgians speak fluently french

Quote Originally Posted by RupertW View Post
    Absolutely love the country so far, especially since a forumite gave a good way to understand their manner, "Think of Yorkshiremen with tans". it's so right - you can share a laugh or receive congratulations with just a slight twitch of eyebrow.
    do you mind to explain this to a foreigner ?

I've alway's been in love with that country, made many friends over there,
    and try as good as possible to understand their manners.

and we have several good reasons to go back there in the future.

Roaring Girl is offline Registered User
    Location : On the boat. But sadly right now she's in Malta while we try and earn money in the UK.

Wink

We bought 777 at Stanfords in central London - they do have it http://travel.stanfords.co.uk/search?w=777&asug= if you want to get it.

(now I shall have to ivnestigate Adriatic Anchorages. Perplexed smiley gif! )
    Pip & Sarah (formerly abigail)
    www.sailblogs.com/member/roaringgirl