Hybrid View

Default Flybridge controls - Volvo levers and fly-by-wire

Recently posted a problem on cables - thanks for replies. The engines (KAD42) and levers are Volvo. Are these levers considered reliable and functional or are there better alternatives. I have also read a bit on fly-by-wire conversions. Has anyone done this DIY who can share their experience please. Thanks Nic

<hr width=100% size=1>
    Regards Nic

Default Re: Flybridge controls - Volvo levers and fly-by-wire

Stick to Volvo.
    If something does go horribly wrong, your insurance will pay out!!!!!!!!! Hopefully (smiley face but dont know how to do one)
    Good luck
    trazie

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alpha22 is online now Registered User

I had a keen look at the Morse digital controls at the London boat show a year or so ago. They were not at all keen on the idea of DIY fitment. But did not say it was impossible.
    The bare bones came in at about 4K for twin engine, manual gearbox, dual station. Then you had fitting to pay on top. (Not to mention the VAT!)

Vetus do one, but if I remember correctly it costs even more than the Morse digital.

D.

<hr width=100% size=1>If you want a job doing well, it's often better to get a profesional in.

just had morse fitted, dual controls KE4's
    All fine so far, much easier to use, 3,800 fully fiited, ouch but worth it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

miket is offline Registered User

The VP levers are useless.
    Either fit Morse, the only decent alternative, or electric (fly by wire).
    IMHO the latter will be quite expensive and personally can't see the benefit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

"can't see the benefit" You have obivously never used them! Allthough there is the worrying fact that one little wire is controling your boat.

<hr width=100% size=1>
    L' Moose

miket is offline Registered User

I have to confess that I have never owned a boat with the electric controls.

I did, however, have cause to helm a sealine T47 out of the Hamble, with these controls.
    They were delightful to use (very light) but I did not like the slight delay in engaging gear. At the time I was Thames based with rather more gear use than the sea dogs.

The other person on this boat was a very experienced and quite well known Yachtmaster instructor who was used to these controls on rather larger Motor Yachts.
    Having started the engines I was having difficulty operating some other piece of equipment on the flybridge, and the instructor leant over to show me how it worked and leant slightly on the electric controls. Fortunately the boat was well secured to the pontoon and the pontoon well secured to the main structure and the structure well secured to the shore, because we found that both engines were in tickover forward gear! All 940hp!!
    He had much quicker reactions than mine!

I still believe that for most boats they are an expensive toy at best, and I don't like introducing complexity unneccessarily.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb is online now Registered User

Heard alot of reports of FBW systems going baserk. Niggely little faults with V*!v* ones. But easy mended. Mine work fine after a little file here and emery here.

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

Alistairr is offline Registered User

I got a new car last year, with the New Drive by Wire throttle Technology,

It Broke down after 2 days on my way to work, left me stuck on the Hardshoulder of the M8 for 2 Hours.

It just does respond, like a cable does,

Give me a cable anyday.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alpha22 is online now Registered User

The problems with mechanical controls on a flybridge boat are related to two things. Worn or out of adjustment cables and the helm change over mechanism.

This madness of mechanics causes neutral to float about center position with no predictable reliabillity. It also makes the controls very 'heavy' and quirky to operate.

Or is this greavance due to the fact that the boat I experienced this on is quite old?

IMHO electronic is the way to go..... albiet an expensive way.

D.

<hr width=100% size=1>If you want a job doing well, it's often better to get a profesional in.