Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignore button

Hybrid View

Thistle is offline Registered User

Default Ignore button

There used to be an "ignore" facility so that you could shut out the rants of any forumite whose views you didn't want to hear any more: does it still exist?

• Click on the user’s name.
    • Click on ‘View public profile’.
    • Click on ‘User lists’
    • Click on ‘Add to ignore list?’
    • Click on ‘Yes’

SAWDOC is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    • Click on the user’s name.
    • Click on ‘View public profile’.
    • Click on ‘User lists’
    • Click on ‘Add to ignore list?’
    • Click on ‘Yes’
    does this result in you not seeing posts from the user in question? I have a particularly active banal user in mind

Quote Originally Posted by SAWDOC View Post
    does this result in you not seeing posts from the user in question? I have a particularly active banal user in mind
    Dunno. I've never used it, or seen the necessity for it. The OP asked how to do it and, being unable to sleep, I investigated it for something to pass the time until I felt sleepy.

If I don't want to read something I just don't read it. And if someone insults me I want to know, so can have the fun of giving as good as I get! Isn't that what forums like the Lounge are for? Bit of harmless verbal jousting that's forgotten next day.

Thistle is offline Registered User

Thanks. I'm tempted every time I see the drivel from one well-known poster but I guess I'd soon be wondering if he was still spouting the same tripe.

Maybe I'll just put myself on ignore

Sleep well!

is that the guy with the beard that looks like the old boy from only fools and horses? lol.

VicS is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SAWDOC View Post
    Yes. It means you cannot see the text of the post. You still see a heading and a little message telling you the message is hidden because they are on your ignore list.
    There's a link to your ignore list and eventually curiosity gets the better of you so you un-ignore them again!

Default 'Daft I call it'

Quote Originally Posted by VicS View Post
    Yes. It means you cannot see the text of the post. You still see a heading and a little message telling you the message is hidden because they are on your ignore list.
    There's a link to your ignore list and eventually curiosity gets the better of you so you un-ignore them again!
    What if a later poster quotes the ignored post? Presumably that would then be visible to he who had used the ignore button?

The whole thing strikes me as ridiculous and pointless. Bit like a kid hiding his head under the bedclothes hoping the bogeyman will go away!

Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User

What if a later poster quotes the ignored post? Presumably that would then be visible to he who had used the ignore button?

The whole thing strikes me as ridiculous and pointless. Bit like a kid hiding his head under the bedclothes hoping the bogeyman will go away!
    Yes then you will be able read it.
    Might be more helpful if the person on your ignore list knew he/she was on it. That way if 50 people were ignoring them they might think about what they are posting.
    Don't believe everything you read on the internet - Abraham Lincoln.

It caused a small but welcome sense of relief when I used the facility, 90% of the particular forumites' posts were unfunny attempts at being witty, often ending up offending a number of people. I had a certain more prolific character on ignore because i thought he was a **** but I ended up unignoring him as what was quoted seemed alright, maybe we just needed a break from each other, a trial separation. OK, I know that's maybe childish but it's like putting a muffler on the club bar bore. Oh if only you could do that in 'real' life