Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
    rafiki_ is offline Registered User

Bart,

Well done on the upgrades so far. It is amazing the difference some small details like the chrome finish can make. Your pics really bring this out. Flooring looks great too.

Good luck with the stairs, whatever you decide to do.

jfm is offline Registered User

Nice stuff Bart
    I would make the bottom step a trapezium! But that's just personal choice

I love the chrome conversions - great stuff

Until recently, as you know, I have said i hate LED lights inside. Over christmas in Caribbean I was on a boat with new LED lights from www.quickmarinelighting.com. For the first time, these were good enough to use imho. Good enough CRI, I mean, as well as colour temperature. subsequently I checked, and it turns out they are using the top/new Philips LED. On my next boat I'm pretty sure I will be switching to LED all over now, 100%, provided I can see how they dim (on the boat I was on, there were no dimmers so i couldn't check, but Quick do offer dimmers)

vas is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    provided I can see how they dim (on the boat I was on, there were no dimmers so i couldn't check, but Quick do offer dimmers)
    J,

I do have a few of the latest philips leds at home (ok in gu10 format and 220V, 2.7K)
    They are good (at least imho) but still dimming with proper electronic dimmers is a bit naff. They do dim up to say 30-40% then they more or less switch off. OK, that may not be a big deal, but dimming DOESNT make their light softer (as in warmer and anyway proper as halogens are...)
    They just are clinically dimmed, no flare, no quality when dimmed

Still would do it rather than having to load my small craft with more batteries (saw Bart has 24 of them!!! and I only have 6...) or run the engines/genny often.

V.

Thanks Virtuvas. Yes dimming just swicthes them on/off at a certain Hz, using switching transistors, so doesn't alter the colour

I'm going to change a few on my boat for the Quick product just as an experiment. But i do feel we are approaching a point where interior LEDs are close enough to halogen that they can be used. In which case, hurrah!

But i do feel we are approaching a point where interior LEDs are close enough to halogen that they can be used.
    mmmmm I'm really sceptic about that,
    I'm sure that technically it can be done, but I'm afraid we 're not yet there,
    I won't change completely to LED lights unless I'm sure I can recreate this kind of atmosphere:

but I will put my prepayment to BCM on hold,
    and have a look at Quick LED lights in Dusseldorf,
    and perhaps even try a few of these lights
    thanks for the link!

vas is online now Registered User

But i do feel we are approaching a point where interior LEDs are close enough to halogen that they can be used. In which case, hurrah!
    hope so, and hope that's going to be possible without having to spend 30euro on the lamp and another 30 for the driver circuit, that'll be too big to fit in the casing. BTW, the GU10 philips dimmable 8W jobbies I have in my office right now (or something like that anyway - 4X2 LEDS) are almost 2inches LONGER than the normal ones to fit the circuit in the ribbed gray casing. Not an easy job fitting them in concealed luminaires and not looking good at minimal luminaires that was counting on the actual bulb mirror/shinny design...

I guess mimicking halogens would force companies use RGB LEDs and drive them with a circuit tuned to alter colour temp vs pwm freq. Ugly from an engineering pov but should work and would probably not be feasible or economical to run.

V.

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    I won't change completely to LED lights unless I'm sure I can recreate this kind of atmosphere:
    Me too. I'm as sceptical as you remember! But I think we might now be getting there. These Quick jobs were excellent. I lived on the boat with them for virtually a week, and had them for interior saloon and exterior deck lighting, so i had lots of chance to try them and consider how good they were.

AndieMac is offline Registered User

She looks stunning Bart...well done mate!

wakeup is offline Registered User

Thank you wakeup !
    I like it when mates are wandering in a marina, thinking about my problems / plans
    and charing idea's and pictures.

The boat above has a different stern section then Blue Angel, so this solution is not really appropriate.
    Have seen exactly the same on a neighbour boat in Cassis last october, it was a Admiral - chantier de Lavagne,
    same make as the boat on your pics I believe.
    A nice old lady anyway.
    ones again, thanks for posting !
    My pleasure, I spend the time I'm not on boats loafing around boat yards.

As I say, it isn't the solution for BA but interesting to see another and different form the mainstream solution.

I look forward to seeing more photos of the progress with keen interest. Please keep the photos and reports coming, it helps me cope with the winter blues. Cheers Wakeup

wakeup is offline Registered User

Me too. I'm as sceptical as you remember! But I think we might now be getting there. These Quick jobs were excellent. I lived on the boat with them for virtually a week, and had them for interior saloon and exterior deck lighting, so i had lots of chance to try them and consider how good they were.
    The specs look good JFM, as I said earlier, the Philips light engine based warm whites are probably the best out there. Colour temperature warming with dimming is coming but not yet at a price that is sensible.

Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast