Page 1 of 148 1234561151101 ... LastLast

Default MiToS re-built/fit- Versilcraft Mystere43

Hello all,

boat was lifted out on Friday and I have 6 months to do some of the work I have planned for. Doubt I'll manage all of it, but time will tell...
    [thread edited in 2018 to add an index which gives me the opportunity to note that my estimate wasn't really spot on... Took four years to get MiToS seaworthy and back in the water, another three in the water and there are still some finishing touches to be made]

Anyway, first with the lift out pics done the old fashioned way with a tractor thingy, massive trailer (good for 50ton boats apparently) and extra support from a winch located some 80m away in a shed (a pulley also involved as it's on a 90degree angle to the exit path...). The lift out process had the whole family of the boatyard involved, namely dad driving the tractor, 14yo son checking in the water that the boat settled properly on the trailor (and then moved away safely before lifting), wife connecting and checking the wire to the winch and pulley and grandma (!) operating the winch in the shed. I was in the craft so couldn't film the process I promise I'll get someone to do a decent documentary in June

and cheking the supports before moving to store.

Have to admit she's now in a fine spot by the water with fine views of the port and city of Volos, some 4km from home and 3km from my office

Original rough to-do list replaced by an index to the thread as it's now too long to be scrollable and searchable by any other means. Apologies as indexing is rough at the edges since I tend to work on many things at the same time creating a chaotic work progress report on here. Not much I can do, so go for the milestones and scroll through the neighbouring pages, you will get there at the end!

Taking things apart:
    • bow cabin 15, 39-48, 154-157
    • heads 49-54
    • port cabin 176, 481
    • electrics cleanup 72, 97-112
    • transom clearup 634, 652
    • paintstripping 145, 183-184, 207-224, 232-277

Superstructure work and Repairs:
    • Deck replacing 278-370
    • Toerail 880-, 905-925
    • Superstructure patches 370-380
    • salon deck replacement 652-
    • aftdeck replacement 723-729, 762-787
    • Swim Platform 1186-

Hull work:

Design:

Finishing:
    • Painting preparation 925-
    • Paint 968-, 1207 (finished with portlights)

Interior work:
    • Redesign construction 504- , 939-, 1007
    • Upholstery 829
    • Finishing cabins 1349-, 1410-
    • Salon material and flooring 1365

Various jobs:
    • Black water tank/pump/setup 138-158, 175-182, 225-228
    • aftdeck seating 790-799
    • bow windlass, switches, anchorlocker layout 801-828
    • anchor boy 1391
    • Teak decking 946-
    • Sliding doors 955-
    • Chart table / galley 1104
    • Watermaker 1186
    • Heat exhangers 1189
    • Mooring gear 1348
    • Exhaust elbows 667
    • f/b and windscreen cover 1387
    • automation 1414
    • SS MiToS lettering 1352
    • f/b seating support 1448

Milestones:
    • First year anniversary on the hard 723
    • Second year anniversary on the hard 706
    • Third year anniversary on the hard 1063
    • Relaunch 1309
    • Floating again 1269,

A rough plan of how I'm planning the refit (more on the design links above):

Spend 2 hours on Sunday dismantling the main cabin. Managed half of it down to bare structure and plywood.

original condition:

removing bits:

down to the nasty detail that caused a lot of damage and some rotten pieces of plywood on port side (already replaced but not with great craftsmanship, so may have to remove and replace again, we shall see..)

more to come over the following weeks/months (hopefully not years though!)

and finally a pic of two fine italian ladies:

cheers

Vassilis
    Last edited by vas; 21-03-18 at 16:36. Reason: updated links to other relevant threads

[QUOTE

cheers

Vassilis[/QUOTE]

'Bellisimo'!!
    Kali Tihi Vass
    Yamass
    K

V,

You have a very busy 6 months ahead of you, and I will be interested in regular updates on here please.

Very best of luck, this looks like quite a mission!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kawasaki View Post

cheers

Vassilis
    'Bellisimo'!!
    Kali Tihi Vass
    Yamass
    K
    thank you, or I should say efxaristo poly

tbh I was expectining someone "biting" on this pic, but I wasn't expecting a jap

@rafiki, not to worry, I'll be posting regularly not only for progress but also questions and opinions as always

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    LOL, did you see my post #96 in this thread, by chance?
    It seems a turbo from the pic, but 4 or 5 cylinders?
    I used to have the 16V (4 cyl). Same engine of the Delta Integrale, already overpowered for a front wheel drive car in its stock version, but there were tuners who managed to get 400+ Hp out of it, go figure...!

All the very best for your project, I'm sure this will develop in yet another epic thread...!

I used to love the delta integrale, especially the very last ones, around 1996, iirc. LHD only, which is why i didn't buy one and got an (E36) M3 instead (332hp straight 6)

I didn't know that fiat (also only ever built in LHD, btw) was designed by Mr Bangle. I have said many times that I think he is a genius, and that the often-criticised e60 (complete with genius iDrive) was/is a masterpiece in car design. Very much imho!

hi,
    was most interested in your thread as we own a versilcraft vanguard, a few differences in your model but we easily recognised much of the coach work etc etc.
    just wanted to say hi and goodluck with your forth coming work. will be watching with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    LOL, did you see my post #96 in this thread, by chance?
    you're an awful guy mr. M! I just had breakfast and wanted to quietly check my mail before dashing to a meeting with the dean and you forced me to "waste" half an hour reading carefully this appalling thread!
    No I've not seen it, I've never being to the lounge area...

Quote Originally Posted by MapisM View Post
    It seems a turbo from the pic, but 4 or 5 cylinders?
    I used to have the 16V (4 cyl). Same engine of the Delta Integrale, already overpowered for a front wheel drive car in its stock version, but there were tuners who managed to get 400+ Hp out of it, go figure...!

All the very best for your project, I'm sure this will develop in yet another epic thread...!
    thanks,

it is a 95 16vt on original engine, 220K on the clock, fully rebuilt and forged engine 25K ago, new larger injectors and turbo, 3inch downpipe, fully remapped by yours trully, last time it was dynoed it produced as much as the IVECO on the Versilcraft: 330bhp (on the wheels though, not flywheel)

Yes, she's pretty fast and v.enjoyable. Ofourse wife hates her (as she's about to start hating the craft since I'm spending more time working there), son doesn't care, daughter is crazy about her and wants me to drive her around the country lanes with windows down to hear the turbo spinning, the bov and the exhaust rattling. Had her from 30K for 12yrs now and only left me on the road once with a broken cambelt tensioner (4 bent valves only)

Brilliant car, even better than the T reg Lotus Elite I owned back in 90-92 (which let me down regularly, but handled better...)

I think it's deffinitely a case of a marmite car.

ah, btw someone should put up a competition/thread on the greatest thread drifters I think I know of a few

@Jfm: fiat coupe both mk1 as mine and mk2 with the 2.0lt 5cyl 20vt engine were produced in large RHD quantities. If you check the forum you'll find many of them going strong to very strong and now over the 400bhp mark MM!

@icepatrol: have to admit I've not seen one in flesh, I guess it's also marine ply on timber frame, so many similarities there. thanks a lot!

V.
    Last edited by vas; 07-12-11 at 10:21. Reason: 5cyl 20vt, finger slipped...

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I used to love the delta integrale, especially the very last ones, around 1996, iirc. LHD only, which is why i didn't buy one and got an (E36) M3 instead (332hp straight 6)

I didn't know that fiat (also only ever built in LHD, btw) was designed by Mr Bangle. I have said many times that I think he is a genius, and that the often-criticised e60 (complete with genius iDrive) was/is a masterpiece in car design. Very much imho!
    The Coupe was produced in RHD but didn't really sell in quantities. Built by Pininfarina, but based on a rather dated platform, hence the steering, ride and handling were not a match for the engine.

I thought the e60 was horrible when it was launched, but have since had one for 5 years, and love it. The styling is still contemporary, and moved large car styling on a huge ammount. The I Drive has improved in usability over the years. I think the main problem when it was launched was it was supposed to replicate a mouse. Great for a LHD car, not so good for a RH person in a RHD car.

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    fully rebuilt and forged engine 25K ago, new larger injectors and turbo, 3inch downpipe, fully remapped by yours trully, last time it was dynoed it produced as much as the IVECO on the Versilcraft: 330bhp (on the wheels though, not flywheel)
    Wow, I'm impressed!
    Messing with an engine ECU surely ain't trivial, what other hobbies do you have, French oboe, brain surgery and aerobatics?
    I can see why your daughter is thrilled by the ride, mine was already exhilarating with the stock engine... awfully understeering, up to 3rd gear...
    Incidentally, talking of mk1 and mk2, the 20V engine was actually a 5, not 6 cylinders.
    Thread drifter, who, me?

Page 1 of 148 1234561151101 ... LastLast