removed the quarterpanel (fairly easily after all) and saw the cabling mess under it. After a couple of hours of work, I've figured out where most cables go and I've removed a few more redundant ones. Wonder why ppl don't remove cables once they decide to remove the equipment.
Anyway, Q panel now looks like this
Removed a few things from the f/b arch and started the up-down trips figuring out which cable from the bilge (A/P controller or aircon) goes up to where and following which route. Will need one evening say 8-midnight to label and check all the remaining as I tend to loose time by going there for 2-3hours at a time, involved in a series of things and rechecking the same errors/oddities time after time...
Anyway, things are progressing fine on the wiring front and I should be fitting the gauges on the new panel v.soon (preparing the lining of the lasercut panels with leatherette as I type...)
Finalising the placement of the extra relays/equipment for the BMS system and made a quick mock for the placement. It's not affecting ergonomics, it should be simple to construct and give me ample space for 24U plus few bits and bobs.
No easy wins there then V. When do you re-launch?
If it was just the internal work, electrics, rearranging the cabins and sorting out a few things in the e/r I'd say in a three months...
However, I need to get everything down to bare plywood, treat it, and do what's needed for painting. I'm cautious here as I don't know what's going to happen.
I may end up scrapping all hull with my el.chisel and apply two or three coats of glassfibre and epoxy/resin/whatever. That's going to take some (still undetermined amount of) time And I wont do the g/f laying up myself, so got to check costs soon.
Above the deck, it's just scrapping, priming,painting. I'll only do the first part, the painting will be done by a pro.
So, I'll leave a date for now, maybe August, maybe pointless and go for next spring, we'll see. Not in a great hurry unless I can make it for August and use it for family vacations. Else, I may take it easy(er) and finish when I finish
Well, please keep up the posts, it is great to see your endeavours.
Another morning worth of work today and the pile of redundant cabling is building up.
I'm now at 95% clear and tidy on the lower helm cabling front just need to sort out a couple of glitches in supply to particular switches that is plain wrong or missing, wont be difficult or take long.
Hence the well full of cables to the sbrd of the helm is now much lighter in cabling and easier to access the leaking steering box. Tried to tighten the nuts to no avail so I'm afraid I have to carefully clean all of them and spot the leaking connection for treatment, dirty job on a tight spot stretching my back and the rib, so we'll see when I'll make it.
Still one bl00dy cable live 24V coming from the e/r and not through the fuses/el.panel, god knows why they've done it when the el.panel is next to it!
Tomorrow I'll spend an hour or so in the e/r to remove a couple more cables going up to the helm area and trying to trace that cable back to the batteries.
Also got to sort the old detroit engines cabling still intact taking space but I'm not confident that it's feasible.
Under the lower helm and over the aircon lived another CETREK compass disconnected doing nothing. Removed it and it looks like this:
nice piece of kit, well engineered but will end up in the garage with all the other historic electronics found around MiToS. Not sure if I should call it 504 (as marked underneath or 497 as per the sticker inside...) Either way, not necessary due to the fluxgate compass already connected to the A/P.
You will be able to open a museum with all the redundant stuff removed from the boat. I guess the compass was ignored because it kept sending the boat round in circles?
here is a link to another report,
a Belgium guy who's doing a similar job on a 39ft Galard.
but he's one year ahead of you,
his courage and commitment might give some inspiration on a bad day
keep it going the good work, and keep the pics coming
not so sure tbh, I have a feeling that the Cetrek 930618 control box and paraphernalia I'm running now is NOT original 74 vintage, so most likely there was some other cetrek before that were replaced when the previous owner bought her around 85 (I'm the third owner btw). Since it was nicely tucked in a narrow deep self, I guess they just cut the cable and didn't bother removing it.
I wonder if anyone can point to Cetrek history and launch dates (well year would do) for the various equipment. That would help clarify.
thanks it's in bl00dy foreign and google translate is great in producing entertaining texts
Serious, he's doing a great job although I slightly disagree with his focus and decisions as I feel he's not "respecting" v.much the original design but it's on their own.
On another note, I feel the "force" is against me yet again!
Managed to pick up another flu yesterday with high fever and all, today feel much better but still knackered. I'm just thinking that within this winter I had a broken rib, two flu infections a gastroenteritis and another flu now! I'm either getting too old or the virii are mutating and getting stronger (hope for the second...). BTW I would rarely "fall" witht the flu more than once a year!
Further, today was an important day as I finaly found and bought leatherete for the various trim panels I'm redoing so that I'll hopefully have dash and surrounding panels ready within the coming week.
Funny how it goes with virus's. I find I am generally more resistant with age, as you generate more antibodies. Have had neither a cold nor flu this winter. Picked up a nasty bug on Korean Air last time I came back though, which was quite unpleasant for a few days.
Anyway, back to the project, looking forward to seeing the new dash etc. after Easter.
September 30, 2016
September 30, 2016
September 30, 2016
September 30, 2016
September 29, 2016