Page 12 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262 ... LastLast
    Divemaster1 is offline Registered User

Great to see you attacking the EL system.... Not done so myself, but having the original engines in situ, it is not such a big issue.... I do however still have the original generator harness around, which I need to remove at some stage to get rid of some clutter in the cable rack...but that will have to be for another day as I am hoping to get port engine running this week-end...

With respect to the DD harness, I think it could be easier than you think, as some of the gauges were pneumatic etc, and the hoses and special cabling for temp etc., may already have been removed... excluding ignition keys and warning lights of course...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

vas is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Divemaster1 View Post
    Great to see you attacking the EL system.... Not done so myself, but having the original engines in situ, it is not such a big issue.... I do however still have the original generator harness around, which I need to remove at some stage to get rid of some clutter in the cable rack...but that will have to be for another day as I am hoping to get port engine running this week-end...
    good, looking forward to an update on your engine thread then!
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemaster1 View Post
    With respect to the DD harness, I think it could be easier than you think, as some of the gauges were pneumatic etc, and the hoses and special cabling for temp etc., may already have been removed... excluding ignition keys and warning lights of course...
    just nipped down to the garage where the original gauge panel lives, sorry, cannot see any pneumatic gauges there, all are electrics 14cables off the main panel, another dozen or so off the ignition setup and a few more on the warning lights.
    Ah, seems like there was indeed an e/r panel with gauges (which unfortunately is missing) as I found two sets of dozen or so cable cut flush on the bulkhead behind and over the fuel tanks, join the other cables in the 60X40mm chanels and later on reappear in the helm area. That makes it exceptionally difficult to trace and remove as they seem to be routed together with the cabling from the e/r lights, bilge pumps etc.
    Will check further this w/e and decide where I draw the line on cable removal, not much point spending a week to remove 20cable strands, is there?

Need to also understand how the shore power is routed and works within this system and remove some redundant cabling there as well.

cheers

V.

Right,

some progress at last, rib's stopped hurting, so looks like it's over (fingers crossed!)

OK, got two fronts working simultaneously, helm dash work and cabin rearrangement.

On the first one, I've got the lasercut steel plates, lined them with vinyl (after sealing the cut sections on this 2.5mm galvanised sheet with some sort of sealer) and fitted/transfered the gauges from the old plates. So a proper "organ transplant". Note that as part of the new design, I moved the key/stop combo to another area (tbh, wouldn't fit all together in the available space) so had to extend 7 cables and fit connectors so that I can easily remove some panels if needed.

the main dash panel treated

the wipers' panel under construction

and completed...

cutting with a stanley knife the holes:

transplant started

almost complete!

final result. The indicator lights are v.simple, not extremely happy about them but do fit the aesthetics of the VDOs nicely and are rather discreete. Plan is to have the two green ones for nav lights, the two reds under them for bilge alarm and BMS alarm state. The single ones around the gauges are for the coolant level/water on fuel warning light as per the VDO gauge thread http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...=303857&page=2. Note two gauges are missing, they are the still to be ordered 2bar turbo gauges, same matching series. The ordering process via Germany is a joke, running over two months now, with email exchanges with a lag of two weeks min each...

Tomorrow is judgment day, as I'll fit the gauges back again and fire up the engines... Hope that not only they will work, but shut down as well

Anyway, looks like I'm slowly finishing with the lower helm redesign, it's a matter of upholstering a few new panels and reupholstering a few more existing ones, as well as fitting a VIMAR IDEA set of 1USB, 2 6A 220V via inverter and 1 schuko (shore power/genny) in there as well.

Next task in line was removing the partition wall between the two ex-heads on stbrd side. I remind you that this is planned to be a third cabin with the two heads relocated to port side between the two cabins there. The actual removal of the wall took around 6h in total, and a few extra slices as it was at some point released but thoroughly stuck and wouldn't move/fit through the existing space... Anyway, removed and now lives happily in the main cabin waiting for reusing it as cabin/head separator wall.

Now, regarding this task, there's a few repairs needed in areas that liquid from the toilet was seeping ( ) to the plywood. Futher, I was planning to arrange the two beds in an L shape as per Divemaster1 craft, but that means shifting the door to the room 40cm to the bow, cutting/shifting things about and creating a 175cm MAX!!! bed. So currently toying with the idea of a bunk thing one on top of the other in a slanted manner so that both have reasonable access to the ground and hopefully headroom as well. Wont show any plans as I need to measure accurately and have a decent section before it makes sense to me. Thing is that upper bunk seems to be smack in the centre of the windows making things rather difficult....

in the process:

Space currently looks like this:

and from the helm area through the ceiling

Plan for tomorrow and day after is to slowly throw away ****, have a second go at the e/r removing redundant cabling, measure accurately the new third cabin and slowly start dismantling the kids cabin as I need to assess water damage there as well (and eventually replace linings)

Currently working at drawing in ACAD the upper helm space and figuring out how my sketch may be implemented for real. Looks OKish atm. More tomorrow.

cheers

V.

Nautorius is offline Registered User

Inspiring Work V! You have so much energy and are still taking the time to get things right like the new Dash! Keep up the Pics...
    Boating is the only thing that keeps me sane!

rafiki_ is online now Registered User

Nice job on the dash panel V. You are not going to get bored with this refurb by the look of things.

wow, you obviously like spaghetti !

Looks a great job, fingers crossed all works tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly625 View Post
    wow, you obviously like spaghetti !

Looks a great job, fingers crossed all works tomorrow!
    I prefer pizza but there's no pizza wiring afaik, so I'll accept spagetti.

It's not that bad (actually it's as it came off the original panel) and tbh I untangled them a bit so they make more sense.

Unsurprisingly, engines fired up on first go, gauges seem ok, so I'll tick that as success

Even managed to get the angle right and secure the dash properly, need to find black allen head 3-4mm woodscrews for the final finish but not in a hurry for that as I'm still waiting for the 2 turbo gauges!

dash now looks like this (sorry photos were taken half an hour ago and it was dark)

Going to increase the hole for the compass 130mm dia against 110mm that was from the old one, so that I can get it upholstered tomorrow (too tired now) and fit it sometime over the w/e.

Got a few Qs and ideas I want to share with you lot but later on.

cheers

V.

me again...

Right, managed to remove the dash flat panel under the windshields (upholstery to be replaced after filling half a dozen holes form old equipment secured on it...) and its removal let me remove the stbrd side helm panel revealing all cabling for me to work on them. Note the reupholstered compass panel on the right hand of the photo.

decided to have a go at removing redundant detroits' cabling to the engine room and to the f/b. 20% was internal afair so easy to sort, the other 80% is nicely split between the two... Opened up all canals/ducts (however you call them) and grouped the two lots.

The usual before

and after (the sorting out of bunches of cables)

need someone to help me now figuring which ones go through and which ones go to the el.panel
    The f/b ones are easy (all go there, nothing to choose!) BUT I really need to find a way to remove the inner lining panel aft of the helm seating in order to route the cables out. Not easy!

Now another issue that is becoming urgent is the finilising of the layout for the cabins downstairs...

There were two cabins plus a crew cabin up on the bow, removed it, removed the wall separating the two heads and planning to make it into a third cabin with the two heads moved up to port side.
    I do know that most ppl would expect a centrally placed bed on the bow cabin and the two heads either side, BUT wife wants to have a study/work space. I'm being resonable and know fairly well (well that's 22yrs of experience by now!) that unless the design ticks the right boxes I'll be alone in MiToS (ok, with the kids sometimes...). So I opted for an unconventional approach with the double bed on port and workspace on stbrd.

A mix/match of various sketches:

started like this:

and seem to be finalising on this:

The main head has a separate shower area, and by the looks of it I wont have another shower on the mb head (or should I, not sure...)

Trying to sort out a 90-120lt black water tank above waterline (either upright between the heads on the shower area, or under the twin bed which is slightly uncomfortable tbh ) The idea is that I wont need another pump to empty it and the macerators on the heads are ok to fill it up I guess.

Ah, regarding the third cabin, since it's rather narrow at 1.1m (min), I'll go for a bed on the side and a folding bunk bed on the corridor wall, which on folding down creates a massive 1.1m wide bed for two kids to share. Tried various combos with two bunks one on top of the other and a corner setup as per Alf's layout that wont work well as mine is narrower beam and the bed would end up 1.75m long...

Any ideas welcomed!

cheers

V.

rafiki_ is online now Registered User

V,

Great update. I like what you are doing with the panels. Should work well and not produce too much reflection in the screen, unless the finish is shiny. If so, then you can get soft finish paint that will look even better. Cabin and heads arrangement looks good too. Is 1.1m wide enough for 2? I guess it depends on the size of the occupants?

Agree with you on being sympathetic to swmbo's requests. Makes life so much easier downstream!!

rafiki,

yep, leatherete is matte finish as per the compass panel and should be okay (as in dull and not shinny) for the next decade I guess

1.1m minimum width should be fine for two girls chatting/sleeping. Last week we had 5kids (10-13yo) in the house (cousins visiting us) and three of them slept happily on a inflatable bed 1.8m width. Checking them at night, it was okay not even one bumping/touching the other. So I guess it should be okay till they finish high school and stop bothering with us...

More worried on the black water tank size as I doubt that will be enough for more than a couple of days with 2-3adults and 3-4kids on board during summer, but should be easy to empty on the open sea somewhere rather.

Also confused on how to align and bolt properly the compass in place as the curved glass dome on top of it confuse the hell out of me in aligning it properly to bow/stern axis of the boat... Also quite unfamiliar with the screws/metal pieces in the box and how I can (I assume) correct the direction shown based on metal obstructions around (only the gauges and the galvanised steel plate to one side, the rest is just plywood and brass screws.)

Will see.

List of things for next couple of weeks are:

• measure carefully the trusses/whatever you call the structural members on the hull to assess space and positioning of cupboards, tanks, etc on the cabins/heads
    • empty the port cabin and remove furniture/panels et al to acess the internal construction for treating/painting as needed
    • draw and prepare the framework for the heads partitions
    • finish cabling removal
    • sort out electrics in the engine room

so slowly getting up to speed with minimal disruption from the rib (was hurting a bit last few days but probably due to weather changing...)

cheers

V.