Page 7 of 148 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107 ... LastLast

thanks jfm & Bart, bear with me as I just don't know how to do it yet.

I mean, I have the drain pipe at the bottom of it the chain drawer and a pipe leading to a through hull port on the bow just above waterline. It does need some fixing as its in shambles right now and water tends to come in rather than out...

Visiting port from my bedroom is acceptable in a fashion similar to Bart's setup maybe a bit more concealed and having to unbolt it to have serious access. Opening around 400X400mm and all of it part of a cupboard at the foot of the bed, so no problems there.

Foredeck hatch access would be in a size that would enable just visual inspection plus pulling untangling chain a bit, right?
    In that case a 200X300mm maybe slightly triangulated shape should be sufficient. That would need to be just offcenter by the windlass, maybe a bit aft. The hatch could also incorporate an underhatch holder for the windlass clutch lever and be done with.
    That hatch would be a plywood frame, covered with teak and using concealed hinges and watertight sealing to its frame?
    DYI jobbie, or buy a proper hatch for watertightness (which is probably irrelevant as there's wet chain in there and there's a drain to outside?)

Leaves me only with one/two short lines to store...

any timber/plywood covered job would help me identify issues and organise construction.

Space is slightly tight and currently looks like that:

Chain box ends at the rear end of this big timber piece (that btw need to replace as it's broken at the bow and looks fugly let alone that the pulley and anchor don't rest properly now where they should)

V.
    Last edited by vas; 01-02-12 at 12:00. Reason: sorry jfm for reordering your nick letters...

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    Foredeck hatch access would be in a size that would enable just visual inspection plus pulling untangling chain a bit, right?
    In that case a 200X300mm maybe slightly triangulated shape should be sufficient. That would need to be just offcenter by the windlass, maybe a bit aft. The hatch could also incorporate an underhatch holder for the windlass clutch lever and be done with.
    That hatch would be a plywood frame, covered with teak and using concealed hinges and watertight sealing to its frame?
    DYI jobbie, or buy a proper hatch for watertightness (which is probably irrelevant as there's wet chain in there and there's a drain to outside?)
    Yup, deck hatch need not be watertight because it opens to a draining locker anyway. It only needs to stop waves coming in. Bigger hatch is good, triangular shape if poss. Allows you to throw a few fenders in there and maybe store the winch handle, anchor ball and even a kedge. Space is tight though

There is one of these boats in Antibes. I must snap a few photos for you sometime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Yup, deck hatch need not be watertight because it opens to a draining locker anyway. It only needs to stop waves coming in. Bigger hatch is good, triangular shape if poss. Allows you to throw a few fenders in there and maybe store the winch handle, anchor ball and even a kedge. Space is tight though
    good,

I'm still a bit confused on space utilisation: you do imply that this store space does have a bottom on top of the chain compartment?
    My 75m of chain take relatively little space (albeit stacks up a bit) so I could "floor" so to speak this hatch at around 300mm from the deck and have some really useful space.
    Which then pauses the problems of:
    • accessing the chain if one wants to
    • negotiating the 50X200 beam that runs from bow backwards...

Else, if anything is to be dropped with the chain, I guess one has to remember to remove everything out before dropping or retreiving the anchor.

Am I right or am I missing something obvious?

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    There is one of these boats in Antibes. I must snap a few photos for you sometime soon...
    thanks, I have viewed another one before deciding on MiToS, there the bow was very plain:

I wonder if I should dump the thick piece of timber on mine and find/fabricate/modify the anchor chain pulley for a clean fit just on top of the new teak deck as in the above photo...
    Is there any advantage on either approach???

cheers

V.

am afraid no progress this week due to snow ice and me slipping and hitting VERY HARD the edge of the sundeck, or snowdeck as it were on Wed.
    Result is a possibly fractured rib, still hurts a lot, but now I can breathe, sleep, move and walk (almost without hurting...)
    And all that in order two take these two photos and they aren't that good either

First day we saw the sun today, getting warmer (reached 6C!) and prospects are good, so hope to makeup next week.

So did some work on the helm dash design as can be seen on this other thread

cheers

V.

My boat looked very similar today with the snow we've had tonight in the uk. Hoping for warmer temps soon to apply some vinyls to the hull.

And all that in order two take these two photos
    but don't forget that mates on here will bless you to eternity

Quote Originally Posted by BartW View Post
    but don't forget that mates on here will bless you to eternity
    Bart enjoy the Italian snow and let me suffer down here...

looks like I must have damaged something in there, as it's 4 days now and it still hurts a lot, cannot take a full breath, cannot stay up for more than a couple of hours, hurts and hurts and hurts. Good thing is that kids didn't go to school throughout the week due to the snow (school is at 600m above sea level and under 1m of snow...). However, starting tomorrow I got to go to the uni, kids start school again so I'll resume my typical taxi driving duties (and get in the car hurts as well...)

Well, at least I'm slowly progressing on the helm design although I could do that much later

more to come

V.

Not many photographs taken I am afraid .... spent more time in engine room getting dirty ....

Anyway, steps from Helm/galley area forwards;

and a glance of the mess it Stb cabin.....

Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Quote Originally Posted by Divemaster1 View Post
    Not many photographs taken I am afraid .... spent more time in engine room getting dirty ....

Anyway, steps from Helm/galley area forwards;

and a glance of the mess it Stb cabin.....

thanks Alf, much appreciated!

wondering though, is there a bunk under the helm area, at the far back to the right of the lower pic???
    I'm planning to fit one down there but I'm slightly worried on the headroom available, it's going to be like a tomb down there...
    If it is, what's the distance from matress to ceiling? should be less than 50cm!

cheers

V.

thanks Alf, much appreciated!

wondering though, is there a bunk under the helm area, at the far back to the right of the lower pic???
    I'm planning to fit one down there but I'm slightly worried on the headroom available, it's going to be like a tomb down there...
    If it is, what's the distance from matress to ceiling? should be less than 50cm!

cheers

V.
    Yup, that is a bunk bed... hinged up and when lowered down she is aligned with the recess going in under the top part of the stairs (first piece of the picture in front of the stairs..).

Headroom is not too bad as that is up to the side deck what you see, so when you sit up, your head is naturally brught forwards underneath the large expanse between the dashboard and front windows.

Not much room between the lower bunk and top in the area where the feet are though .... but have slept in both bunks myself (178 Cm), but not experienced any problems with normal bedding in place.

However, I will take some measurements for you.... just let me know which ones you're interested in ...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Page 7 of 148 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121757107 ... LastLast