Page 9 of 148 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Divemaster1 View Post
    There are some similarities ....
    I'm a bit late on this one...has she Detroit power?

Quote Originally Posted by AndieMac View Post
    I'm a bit late on this one...has she Detroit power?
    nope,

originally yes, swapped to IVECOs ten years ago
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showpost.p...4&postcount=12

cheers

V.

Virtuvas, apropos nothing in particular, here are some pics of sistership in Antibes today. Pity it has so many covers on it. It has been here a few years

jfm,

thanks a lot!

that's a well kep albeit too well wrapped up Mystery you've got there in the marina!
    Do you have the photos at original resolution? Wouldn't mind having a look at all the bow fittings and deck edging details, bow roller, bow nav.light, etc etc. PM to follow with my email address if you can fwd them plz
    May help me asking for particular details at a later stage if it's not too much of a hassle..

cheers

V.

Quote Originally Posted by virtuvas View Post
    jfm,

thanks a lot!

that's a well kep albeit too well wrapped up Mystery you've got there in the marina!
    Do you have the photos at original resolution? Wouldn't mind having a look at all the bow fittings and deck edging details, bow roller, bow nav.light, etc etc. PM to follow with my email address if you can fwd them plz
    May help me asking for particular details at a later stage if it's not too much of a hassle..

cheers

V.
    Ah, I deleted them off my camera chip last night, doh! But no worries, I'll shoot them again next weekend and email then (at ~7Mb each, off a Canon EOS). The boat is a permanent resident in Antibes so I can easily get you any pics you want during this summer, when the owner removes the covers!

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Ah, I deleted them off my camera chip last night, doh! But no worries, I'll shoot them again next weekend and email then (at ~7Mb each, off a Canon EOS). The boat is a permanent resident in Antibes so I can easily get you any pics you want during this summer, when the owner removes the covers!
    ok, not to worry, I guess you will be there again sometime

Since mine has a few non-standard items and solutions which I'm not happy with, I'd very much appreciate pics showing details of the bow fittings as in pic3. also gunwale to sunpad detailing, bow roller, railings etc.

cheers

V.

after a 5week break (due to a broken rib) I'm slowly starting again. Weather's been fine over the last 2-3 days (temps up to 15-18C and sunshine) and it looks like it's going to be like that for the next 5-6months

So, having a go at clearing up the cabling on the lower helm, amazing mess I have to say... I realised that I have to clear the mess on the flybridge as well. Had noticed that the fb a/p control wasn't doing much (iow was dead) thought it was good time to remove it and check it out. The lower CETREK controller is at my desk ready to be fitted to its new position on the new panel next week.
    So unbolted the control, pulled the cable out carefully and realised why it wasn't functioning, it was plain cut 20cm down the box...
    I also noticed a small custom box with three buttons and one led that seems to be connected to the 8wire cable that was originally going to the a/p controller. I have a feeling that the previous owner had a custom built controller stored in the cupboard under the f/b helm enabling him to switch on and off the a/p and change track.

Anyway, back home after half an hour of swearing and trying to unbolt the back cover of the alloy box (mild steel screws all around...), I had a go with a 8mm drill and had it open in a few minutes

Exterior in a v.sorry state with lots of coats of white paint on it.
    On the left is the toggle switch for engaging dissengaging (that fell on my desk when I removed the rubber seal ) and on the right the pot for arranging the route.

inside things are fairly clean and simple, all covered with clear silicone...

So, my options are:

1. rebuilt this mess and fit it again somewhere. Actually if the pot does work, and after a bit of searching with a multimeter, I should have it running fairly easily with a new waterproof toggle switch.

2. dismantle the functional (?) box with the 3 buttons and install them in the new dash I'm currently designing (more on that later, maybe tomorrow)

not made my mind up as yet, but either should be okay, designwise, I have to see the space and type of toggles/buttons/leds I'll be installing in the new dash to decide which one I prefer (although a pot and a toggle is better than two buttons and a toggle). Will have to wait for a week before I refit the lower helm a/p control so that I can test it and establish if the custom box actually works.

BTW, anyone has suggestions for watertight sockets to fit on various removable electronic devices? For example, lower helm a/p control has something like 8 cables that were cut and need refit, but would be nice to be able to remove it easily if needed.

so, slowly coming back and v.worried on the month lost and if I'll be able to make it or get back in the water in a rather unfinished state

cheers

V.

Chin up V,

you've already made big progress.

Good news about the weather - ive missed your updates and am looking forward to seeing your boat progress.
    Free supercharging Tesla referral code http://ts.la/jez9763

I'd go for option 2 and fit it neatly in the new dash. The box isn't exactly a thing of beauty...!

You have loads to do and it's Easter. Maybe a rework of the project schedule and a new launch date of end-2012 makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I'd go for option 2 and fit it neatly in the new dash. The box isn't exactly a thing of beauty...!

You have loads to do and it's Easter. Maybe a rework of the project schedule and a new launch date of end-2012 makes sense?
    Spend a few hours today, even managed to work on the flybridge but it was 20C, bl00dy sun shinning could end up with sunburn soon...

Opened the box, it is indeed the new a/p control, absolutely dead simple and straightforward, one resistor for each led, three push buttons and that's it!

Will do my homework re wiring of controllers on a/p control box, not sure they are NMEA or custom interfaces, does look too simple to be true.

here it is:

and the insides are this simple...

Seems that in order to clear up the big mess of cabling from lower helm to f/b and to e/r, I need someone with me, wiggling cables in the lower helm and myself up or down figuring out what is going where. Have a few dead ones identified on both ends but difficult to trace them through. Undid the side panel by the lower helm seat in order to see the cable route going up to the f/b, but I have to remove the beautiful panel with the flag holes and in order to do so, I also have to remove the side panels to the salon (top of the side windows), so looks like a non trivial job for next week. Of course dirty option is to leave as is, since I've got enough cables going through to carry all currents needed, just not tidy and nice. Plus a sh1load of cables from the detroits going up doing bugger all...
    Ah, managed to find the first cable that is indeed destroyed from the elements. It's a massive 3X2.5mm cable about 15mm in overall dia, that simply falls apart on touching and bending it. Good thing its' not doing anything, bad thing is that it's well tucked and twisted to other usefull cabling to be able to pull it off

I think I'll keep the take it easy approach for the next week (off to Brussels for 3 days tomorrow) making sure the rib doesn't hurt and will be on the serious dismantling of partition walls and hull scraping the week after.

JFM, I knew the original plan was pushing it a bit (but I hadn't counted the accident...), if I manage to get the exterior prepared and painted properly by mid June, I'll probably fit the teak (not on the f/b just on the gunwales), reassemble the interior with no lining for the cabins and get on the water for a few weeks with the family during August (pref mid august to early Sept), then either continue work inside the water on the marina (3min bike ride from home), or out on the hard for work throughout the winter (6min car ride from home) for next spring fully speced and ready
    Not going to be using her properly over winter, so not much point in a end of 2012 commission tbh. Have work plan sorted, I'm able to work on her for 3-4 days a week from now on, and I mean 7:30 to 3:30 effectively drop the kids to school and go pick them up on the way back so with the help of a friend for two days a week, should be able to progress rather quickly. We'll see...

cheers

V

Page 9 of 148 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959109 ... LastLast