Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    srah1953 is offline Registered User

Default WD40 on electric panel

Is there any possibility that spraying WD40 on the back of the electric panel could give rise to an electrical short?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by srah1953 View Post
    Is there any possibility that spraying WD40 on the back of the electric panel could give rise to an electrical short?
    Thanks
    I hope not "Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles"

WD-40 stands for "Water Displacement 40th Attempt". Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion in nuclear missiles, by displacing the standing water that causes it. He claims he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.

Thanks
    Depending on switch panel material, the WD 40 can re-act with the plastic, causing the material to become brittle. Not heard of people getting a short from it though.

Brian

I once sprayed some on a pcb in a washing machine because I suspected a dodgy connection.
    Phutt!, singed eyebrows and a call out to the repairman.

A better solution to protect electrics/electronics is ACF-50, a more recent and more advanced water displacer.
    quicKutter rope cutter, shaft and rudder bearings
    www.h4marine.com

Quote Originally Posted by DanTribe View Post
    I once sprayed some on a pcb in a washing machine because I suspected a dodgy connection.
    Phutt!, singed eyebrows and a call out to the repairman.

Better than easystart, easystart is too vicious, little bit of wd up the air intake can get the old lump woken up

Seajet is online now Registered User

I know someone who played with radio controlled model aircraft a lot, and he was very cautious with WD40, saying he'd had it short things out.

He probably knew what he was talking about, as he now flies 1:1 scale with a few hundred passengers...don't know what he uses for a quick cure-all though !

Further to Jimmcgee's posting.

I remember when WD40 was called "Rocket WD40"

Stu Jackson is offline Registered User

Thanks
    What's the reason for even considering this?

For electrical connections, the idea is to loosen them a bit first, then tighten and then use a water displacement. I use T9 Boeshield, although there have been some recent reports questioning its veracity.
    Catalina 34 1986 #224 M25 engine 22# Rocna (NZ)

Seajet is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
    What's the reason for even considering this?

For electrical connections, the idea is to loosen them a bit first, then tighten and then use a water displacement. I use T9 Boeshield, although there have been some recent reports questioning its veracity.
    Spiffing...but does it short things out ?!