Thread: Red Diesel

Hybrid View

Default Red Diesel

There has been much talk on other forums about people being fined for having red diesel in their tanks. My recent experience of France in particular has not indicated that there is a particular interest in even wanting to inspect tanks of visiting yachts but I thought I would just ask on here, where many of you are already doing what I intend soon (living aboard going through French canals and eventually ending up in Greece) if you have ever been inspected, or indeed fined for having UK duty paid red diesel on board?
    With 1000 litres of the stuff on my boat it will take quite a while to dilute all the dye so that tanks appear clear and it's not possible to fill with white in most places in the UK so what best to do?

ukmctc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    There has been much talk on other forums about people being fined for having red diesel in their tanks. My recent experience of France in particular has not indicated that there is a particular interest in even wanting to inspect tanks of visiting yachts but I thought I would just ask on here, where many of you are already doing what I intend soon (living aboard going through French canals and eventually ending up in Greece) if you have ever been inspected, or indeed fined for having UK duty paid red diesel on board?
    With 1000 litres of the stuff on my boat it will take quite a while to dilute all the dye so that tanks appear clear and it's not possible to fill with white in most places in the UK so what best to do?
    from my understanding most have been fined for whats stored on deck rather than in their tanks, lets face it there is no extra fuel required for crossing the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ukmctc View Post
    from my understanding most have been fined for whats stored on deck rather than in their tanks, lets face it there is no extra fuel required for crossing the channel.
    Agreed. If you have red in cans which they spot on the usual quick inspection, then be prepared to pay tax on it. In 10 years visiting France, Spain & Portugal, we've never been checked.

Quote Originally Posted by boatmike View Post
    There has been much talk on other forums about people being fined for having red diesel in their tanks.
    It seems to be mainly Belgium, see http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296943