Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Re BlowinOldBoots.

I too was wondering if there exists the mechanism to remove or knock back a skippers ticket as per the merchant navy?

Slight fred drift, I have a chum with an aft cockpit sistership to yours who has trundled back and forth across the Atlantic some 35 times without mishap except for one bent upper mast when a fitting failed-also races a J very very well indeed without mishap- different skipper mentality and an absolute joy to both sail with and learn from whilst quaffing ale)
    Why argue with a nautical wall? I just read the graffiti these days.

Quote Originally Posted by parsifal View Post
    Very true. They should have a brass plate with that engraved on it fixed over the chart table.
    Sailed on a very old gaffer once and above the chart table there was a brass plate :

" At sea there is no blame - only actions and consequences "

It was in Latin with an English translation below for the poorly educated oiks (like me .....)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    Re BlowinOldBoots.

I too was wondering if there exists the mechanism to remove or knock back a skippers ticket as per the merchant navy?
    Yes - it's a sanction the RYA has applied in the past when commercially-endorsed skippers have got things very wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    Re BlowinOldBoots.

Slight fred drift, I have a chum with an aft cockpit sistership to yours who has trundled back and forth across the Atlantic some 35 times without mishap except for one bent upper mast when a fitting failed-also races a J very very well indeed without mishap- different skipper mentality and an absolute joy to both sail with and learn from whilst quaffing ale)
    The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Certificate of Competency can be removed from the holder. It has been done on at least two occasions that I remember. I don't remember the details but I think the Captain of a sail training vessel (Ascog?) that got wrecked in a bay and someone drowned, plus the other was a captain calamity type yachtsman but I don't know any details.

I am not sure whether it is the RYA or MCA that rescind the CofC.

The Rival 41A, nice yacht and a good layout with an aft cabin as well. They are a bit harder to find on the market than the 41C; good sea keeping qualities indeed.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by r_h View Post
    Yes - it's a sanction the RYA has applied in the past when commercially-endorsed skippers have got things very wrong.
    I am sure it has been withdrawn from non commercial YM CofC holders as well.
    Having time is unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    I am sure it has been withdrawn from non commercial YM CofC holders as well.
    I didn't quite say what I meant there -- the only cases I've heard of in which the certificate has been withdrawn have related to commercial operation, ie with the skipper being paid for his/her services.

These days that (in theory) means only commercially endorsed certificates, although previously non-endorsed certificates were revoked (as that's all there was).

To date I've never heard of a skipper of a privately used boat (ie not being used commercially) losing their Yachtmaster ticket, but maybe others know differently.

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

You can watch crew and skipper being interviewed here (for the next 7 hours on iPlayer) [http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_03_01_2012/]

from 03:10 to 04:28
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by r_h View Post
    To date I've never heard of a skipper of a privately used boat (ie not being used commercially) losing their Yachtmaster ticket, but maybe others know differently.
    Since no license is required to skipper a privately used yacht, what would be the point?
    Apart from maybe an ego-bruise.

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Quote Originally Posted by Boomshanka View Post
    You can watch crew and skipper being interviewed here (for the next 7 hours on iPlayer) [http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_03_01_2012/]

from 03:10 to 04:28
    From the program....

"The Skipper reckons that he could have gotten back to safety alone without the freak wave...."

See my earlier post about the excuse they will come up with.....

The excuse will be that it was a perfectly safe trip within the capabilities of the boat and a good learning experience... it was just bad luck they got pooped...

He doesnt get it. They would have gotten back to safety... with no one hurt... if he had paid attention to the weather forecast and not set out to begin with.

This outfit, and this skipper, are incapable of managing risk.

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    He doesnt get it. They would have gotten back to safety... with no one hurt... if he had paid attention to the weather forecast and not set out to begin with.
    A freak wave?

In a force 10?

Who'd have thunk it?
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Page 16 of 57 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast