Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    That is just gobsmacking.
    I guess there really is no such thing as bad publicity

photodog is offline Lord High Commander of Upper Broughton and Gunthorpe

Hot liquid sailing should do the decent thing... they should shut down temporarily at least and have a complete appraisal of their operations....

This lack of a review by hot liquid sailing of their safety, and going straight into a price promotion, is a very poor reflection of their priorities.

Hot liquid needs to review what went wrong before they offer any more courses or sail training.

Seajet is online now Registered User

I agree this seems a case of poor planning, especially re. crew abilities & strength.

NB the famous quote in a Naval officers' summary, " this Officer shows great skill at getting himself out of situations he should never have got into ! "

A good skipper always has a Plan B - & C, such as already sorting out storm sails - including making sure one can rig a storm jib in storm conditions, a sea anchor ( for drifting or as a steering drogue side to side ) the rudder will keep working or a jury rig is at hand / at least in mind, and as a last resort the chart & anchor are ready, remember the case of 'Tilly Twin', the fin keeler which remarkably got away with running up Bognor beach in a storm( 'Heavy Weather Sailing' again ) ; more to the point, all ones' crew need to be briefed on these things if the skipper is for any reason unavailable...that is not relating to this latest case.
    Last edited by Seajet; 04-01-12 at 12:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    I agree this seems a case of poor planning, especially re. crew abilities & strength.

!
    They went out with a force 10 forecast... and they new that it had been forecast...

This isnt a case of poor planning on Hot liquid sailing behalf... its a case of negligence....
    Last edited by photodog; 04-01-12 at 12:29.

Minn is offline Registered User

There is no reason to sail with such a forecast unless you are a lifeboat or a salvage tug.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    There is no reason to sail with such a forecast unless you are a lifeboat or a salvage tug.
    I would go further. There is every reason NOT to sail unless you are a lifeboat or a salvage tug.

Boomshanka is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    And so what was the reason? Position a boat for accommodation during LBS perhaps? I don't know, I'm just guessing (it ties in with the dates for the return 'cruise' though - I also can't think why else you would advertise a cruise to London at this time of year with a two week gap between arrival and departure?)... but if that is the case then you shouldn't put fare-paying punters out to do the job in those conditions! Day return train tickets or a budget hotel at the end of a tube line are going to be looking increasingly cheaper options after this.

The weather forecast was undeniable... what on earth was going through the skipper's mind when go/no go decisions were being made!
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomshanka View Post
    The weather forecast was undeniable... what on earth was going through the skipper's mind when go/no go decisions were being made!
    He has already answered that question on Twitter

2nd Jan

Great F8/9 maybe even F10 Tue!!! At least it's from west so just run under storm jib!!! May even use Trysail!!!!

And so what was the reason? Position a boat for accommodation during LBS perhaps? I don't know, I'm just guessing (it ties in with the dates for the return 'cruise' though - I also can't think why else you would advertise a cruise to London at this time of year with a two week gap between arrival and departure?)... but if that is the case then you shouldn't put fare-paying punters out to do the job in those conditions! Day return train tickets or a budget hotel at the end of a tube line are going to be looking increasingly cheaper options after this.

they have a stand at Libs.... I think that your spot on.

Its a worthwhile trip... and a good idea... but clearly Hot Liquid sailing have allowed business priorities to rule over common sense...

And they did the same thing last year.

You can watch crew and skipper being interviewed here (for the next 7 hours on iPlayer) [http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ay_03_01_2012/]

from 03:10 to 04:28
    Skipper quoted that the Helmsman was slammed against the wheel but didn't receive major injuries, what else would you call a broken shoulder and jaw! What a T@%t.

Page 18 of 57 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast