Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

I dont think that you can get away from the fact that this company are putting people who trust them into these positions for a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by topline View Post
    Skipper quoted that the Helmsman was slammed against the wheel but didn't receive major injuries, what else would you call a broken shoulder and jaw! What a T@%t.
    Blimey! When the "skipper" (note little S) said he (the helm) wasn't badly injured I took that to mean bruising and perhaps a cut ... shocked would be understandable...
    broken bones ... that's not minor ... !!

z1ppy is offline Registered User

Something really doesnt add up here. minor injuries to me are cuts, bruises and scrapes. if the helm has a broken shoulder and jaw that doesnt sound minor to me! on the other hand, it maybe minor to a doctor who deals with life and death every day?

Whatever happens, i agree with the majority that putting to sea with this blow forecast was foolish at best and dangerous as it turns out.

If i had anything to do with the company i would be telling the skipper to keep quiet until i had received a full de-brief and putting out a company line to stick to. i would be VERY concerned about the future implications of this not so isolated incident!

well done and thank you to the life boat and rescue teams who have recovered the situation, i am sure the crew will think very highly of them, as for the skipper, that remains to be seen....

!!!! I say chaps. !!!! That was sooooo amazingly wicked!!!!!

Glad to report that apart from some minor scratches to my ego, I am ready to get out there again and get it on, all hot chocolate, brown underwear and sticky like. like proper sailing, like.

Anyone fancy some phwooawwww sailing from Kent up to London, prob catch the last bit of a show too,
    I can guarantee loadsa press interest!!!!, so this could be your jaw dropping big break into ruffytuffy sailing rockjock land...

D'you fancy mixing it up a bit , Im offering a once in a lifetime chance, grab a bargin, 50 quid a head yeah and does anyone know anything about tillers and one in a million big waves? Apply in person @xxxxx by the lifeboat station, Ramsbottom
    * Please add your own smiley cos the 'choices' seem a bit wubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Blueboatman View Post
    Im offering a once in a lifetime chance, grab a bargin, 50 quid a head yeah and does anyone know anything about tillers and one in a million big waves? Apply in person @xxxxx by the lifeboat station, Ramsbottom

Does this include the free trip in a helicopter?

If so, count me in.

!!!! Can be arranged!!!!!!!!! No extra charge
    * Please add your own smiley cos the 'choices' seem a bit wubbish

Twister_Ken is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    The trouble with running downwind in a big SW wind in the Channel is that you have virtually no options left. Turning upwind, heaving to or lying ahull are probably not viable due to lack of sea room, other traffic or sea conditions.

There is no plan B available, to me that's the key issue, when plan A failed due to sea state (wind over tide?) his only option was to call for help. Sorry, but I don't see that as exciting fun so much as poor planning.
    Coming back to a ? I posed earlier: is tucking in behind Dungeness an option in these conditions. I've done it when things have been far more benign, just to wait out a foul tide. Does it work in a hoolie?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Personally speaking, I would like to see this guy's commercial license revoked, and the injured crew taking the company to court for negligence.

We could do without [removed] like this in the industry.
    Last edited by Laura Nineham; 09-01-12 at 15:35. Reason: legal reasons

Minn is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bobc View Post
    Personally speaking, I would like to see this guy's commercial license revoked, and the injured crew taking the company to court for negligence.

We could do without [removed by admin] like this in the industry.
    +1.

May I suggest that those of us who feel that way make a point of letting the MCA Enforcement Division know?

A1Sailor is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Old Glow In The Deeps View Post
    The poor chap (skipper) apparently had steering failure after a freak wave came over the transom, slamming the helmsman into the wheel and binnacle rendering the steering US....
    Surprised he didn't revert to plan B - rig the emergency tiller and use it to carry on to LBS...
    Now that would've been good PR!
    Sadler 25 on the Clyde

Page 19 of 57 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast