Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
    Robin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Sometime I disagree with Robin. This time I do so in light of my newly acquired knowledge of big, bendy fractional rigs. If you're reefing in an F3, it's because you haven't pulled the kicker and the backstay on hard enough. With enough purchase, a bendy mast, and a sail cut to match, there's a whole load of flattening of the main that can be done (equals depowering) before a reef needs to be considered.
    No disagreement at all as I'm used to masthead rigs! Also my experience is mostly from an era where there were big headsails. Our last boat had around 300sqft of main and 685sqft of genoa so we would roll a bit of that away first then put the first reef in the main at around 14/15kts apparent, we could carry more but go slower if we did. However if we were trying really hard on a gusty day and the windward leg was not too long I might get out of the cockpit and put the flattener reef in and cunningham on, then drop the traveller a tad more. SWMBO mind you was wise to these moves and since we sailed as an unmatched pair I would obey and put the first reef in only to prove most times that she was right and we went faster not slower!
    Sermons from my pulpit are with tongue firmly in cheek and without any warranty!

alant is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Judders View Post
    The other important difference is that you were heading in to a 60 mile wide expanse of deep water, not a narrow shallow strait with sandbanks shifting all over the place.
    + F10 is a different animal to a F8.

Minn is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by alant View Post
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by Minn View Post
    +1.
    +2 Actually

Very different indeed. I'm sure there are many people who don't appreciate just how much more dramatic the two force increase between F8 and F10 is than that between F6 and F8.
    Last edited by Simondjuk; 10-01-12 at 23:49.

Indeed. And I was pointing out that this Beneteau bobs a lot and the cockpit must have been like a washing machine in a F10.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by haydude View Post
    Indeed. And I was pointing out that this Beneteau bobs a lot and the cockpit must have been like a washing machine in a F10.
    I suspect the same would be true of almost any 40 footer running downwind in those conditions. Granted a big cockpit gives you more room to be thrown around but you can mitigate that a bit by keeping just a helmsman and another in the cockpit, and having both of them hooked on with short tethers.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister_Ken View Post
    Sometime I disagree with Robin. This time I do so in light of my newly acquired knowledge of big, bendy fractional rigs. If you're reefing in an F3, it's because you haven't pulled the kicker and the backstay on hard enough. With enough purchase, a bendy mast, and a sail cut to match, there's a whole load of flattening of the main that can be done (equals depowering) before a reef needs to be considered.
    Your depowering technique is of course spot on but if I am correct you sail an Arcona 340 with a non-overlapping headsail. Nothing wrong with that - very seaman like for cruising and I frequently do the same - but your boat was designed for a 41 Sq m No 1 overlapping genoa not a 29 Sq m No 3. With the big genoa up at the top end of a force 3 with 7 knots added boat speed you would have 18 knots over the deck. I strongly suspect that without six heavy blokes on the rail you would be thinking about a reef. In effect you permanently have a first reef in when sailing with the non-overlapper.

The First 40.7 is similarly designed for a large overlapping genoa and I would not be at all surprised if they needed reefing in a Force 3 without a big crew. That does not mean they are not stable with a suitably reduced sail plan.

I found these 2 videos where they seem to be coping quite well in winds well over 30 Knots.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeterR View Post
    Your depowering technique is of course spot on but if I am correct you sail an Arcona 340 with a non-overlapping headsail. Nothing wrong with that - very seaman like for cruising and I frequently do the same - but your boat was designed for a 41 Sq m No 1 overlapping genoa not a 29 Sq m No 3.

[youtube]OO_gX3GjICg&feature=related
    The non-overlapper is the standard headsail. The optional larger headsail is a drifter for light airs. I've yet to see a UK Arcona of any size flying one.
    Next time, it'll all be different.

Too right.

Wind Type___________________Wind pressure in lbs sq ft on:

___________________Round surface__________ Flat Surface

Gale___________________ 2.8___________________ 4.0

Strong Gale_____________ 4.2___________________ 6.7

Whole Gale______________ 5.8___________________ 9.0

Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354555657 LastLast