Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657 LastLast
    Vara is offline Registered User

Interesting to read that time line with the reported wind speeds.

There was some discussion on this thread that the wind at the start of the incident was much lower than that.

All I know is that at about 0700 when I went to check my boat in Dover I decided not to walk down the pontoon as it looked dodgy, so confined my inspection to peering from the marina yard, and that it was very difficult to open the car door against wind.

Any way, well done to the RNLI, IMO any recognition that they got was well deserved.
    Last edited by Vara; 20-02-12 at 18:43. Reason: finger trouble
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

The RNLI are very sparing with their awards & Silvers are biggies (Golds are like Hen's teeth).

It does still beg the question why the Skipper set out into that forecast with a relatively novice crew.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now where do we go in 2014- north to the Friesans or South to Brittany?

Default Dead Right, Searush

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    The RNLI are very sparing with their awards & Silvers are biggies (Golds are like Hen's teeth).

It does still beg the question why the Skipper set out into that forecast with a relatively novice crew.
    A Gold is usually up there with a VC in terms of the life threatening conditions they are earned in.

The awards suggest that the service was sustained in very marginal conditions.

I think 'hubris' is why, from his revealed thinking in pre departure posts.
    I would not have taken such a crew outside the Solent with that forecast due, not even a 'hard nut' regular crew come to that.
    Too much risk of gear and crew failure, in those conditions, which change the game altogether..

I'd have done just a quick pop to a sheltered all tide port like Pompey, let it go over fast as predicted while the crew got to know each other, then off behind it, with a rested team.
    It would then have been more like the product HL had sold to their punters for a start, rather than a Bear Gryhlls look-a-like competition.
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Flying Penguin is offline Registered User

http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/530855/hot...is-yachtmaster

Liquid Vortex skipper Charlie Sturrock has had his Yachtmaster qualification withdrawn by the RYA and the MCA, following the sailing school yacht's rescue on January 3.

The Hot Liquid Bénéteau First 40.7 was rescued off Dungeness Point while on delivery to London from Southampton with the Met Office warning of an imminent Force 11 severe storm.

The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Qualification Panel decided to withdraw Mr Sturrock's qualification for 12 weeks, when he will have to retake the Yachtmaster exam in order to regain the certificate.

The RYA's head of training, Richard Falk, told PBO: 'We came to that conclusion based on a discussion with Charlie and based on the evidence that is available.

'We had concerns with the decision to depart given the weather forecast, specifically passage planning, the interpretation of the weather forecast and the decision-making that goes along with that.'

Mr Sturrock will be unable to use his Yachtmaster Instructor qualification for the same 12-week period, but it will be reinstated if he passes the Yachtmaster exam again.

Mr Falk said: 'There is no suggestion that he lacks the ability to instruct. What we are looking at is a specific reflection of his competence as a skipper.'
    Silence may be golden, but duct tape is more effective, and that comes in silver......

Thank you mr Penguin, it seems that the RYA have finally answered the question in a sensible manner.

I understand the guy is ex-military, he may need some help to eliminate the need for excitement dominating over safety of the customer. Lets hope he can learn & move on.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Thank you mr Penguin, it seems that the RYA have finally answered the question in a sensible manner.

I understand the guy is ex-military, he may need some help to eliminate the need for excitement dominating over safety of the customer. Lets hope he can learn & move on.

As a very experienced professional skipper friend of mine states on his web site... "If its not safe & fun... Don't sail it that way!"

Vara is offline Registered User

Nothing wrong with ex-military, loads of them kicking about the forum and would I suggest be a little upset about being bracketed with this individual.

Declaration of interest; ex military, instructor and caution is my middle name.
    Formerly known as colmce.
    http://www.seafieldfarmcottages.co.uk

Scotty_Tradewind is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: South Oxfordshire. Boat: Portsmouth harbour, Wicormarine

QUOTE....
    "The RYA/MCA Yachtmaster Qualification Panel decided to withdraw Mr Sturrock's qualification for 12 weeks, when he will have to retake the Yachtmaster exam in order to regain the certificate."

This decision has fallen short of what it should have been imho .

QUOTE....
    " 'We had concerns with the decision to depart given the weather forecast, specifically passage planning, the interpretation of the weather forecast and the decision-making that goes along with that.' "

It is part of the Day Skipper theory exam to have a basic understanding of this and Mr Shurrock has surely failed to have such understanding and ability?
    You never get to where you want to go if you only travel on sunny days.

maxi77 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Vara View Post
    Nothing wrong with ex-military, loads of them kicking about the forum and would I suggest be a little upset about being bracketed with this individual.

Declaration of interest; ex military, instructor and caution is my middle name.
    +1

ex RN submariner and safety is the paramount consideration, after all if you are 8 weeks from a laundry and have water rationing too many brown underpant excursions makes you unpopular. Most of the gungho chaps I know
    have never been near the military.
    Peter

Tidewaiter2 is offline Registered User
    Location : Now where do we go in 2014- north to the Friesans or South to Brittany?

Default There are...

.........old sailors and bold sailors, but no old, bold sailors, is how it goes, as I remember?
    "Journos Luxury Yacht"=a hole in the water for time, money,affection,blood,sweat n tears

Page 54 of 57 FirstFirst ... 44445464748495051525354555657 LastLast