Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deck Cargo

Default Deck Cargo

I have just worked out delivery/fuel/time costs to take a 42ft Grande Banks from Newcastle out to Corfu by sea.
    Can anyone give me a recommendation / rough cost of shipping out deck cargo or recommend any company to contact.

Thanks..... Paul

You could treat the delivery as a holiday (or 2) to offset the cost. It doesn't change the cost, but does make it feel less of a dead loss.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

You could be right with that, but the problem is the time between other jobs. I might aim for 3 legs..... down to possibly Brighton (reasonable rail links) to await weather, 2nd leg to possibly Villamora (near Faro airport) and 3rd leg to Corfu.
    All a bit vague at the moment until I hear back from the owner.
    Paul

Reverend Ludd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coastwise View Post
    I have just worked out delivery/fuel/time costs to take a 42ft Grande Banks from Newcastle out to Corfu by sea.
    Can anyone give me a recommendation / rough cost of shipping out deck cargo or recommend any company to contact.

Thanks..... Paul
    What did you work it out to be ?

About 6000 litres at 9 knots... price will be a bit variable and about 325hrs steaming time ... again variable in days with weather hold-ups.
    Paul

jfm is offline Registered User

That would be around €25000-28000 as deck cargo and it would be Athens or a big port, not Corfu itself. About €1000 in insurnace, and €1000 for a shipping cover. I'd recommend (in order) PSP then Peters+May then Wainwright/Yachtshipping

Thanks for that information JFM. With all those 000000s it doesnt quite make the fuel cost so horrific !!!!

Thanks for that... Paul

jfm is offline Registered User

Yep. If you only need 6000l and can buy a chunky in Jersey and Gib then your fuel cost will be quite low, and much much less than deck cargo

However I think deck cargo is the wrong comparison for a 42er. It'll go on a lorry and you could probably truck it to Athens, or perhaps somewhere nearer like north of Croatia, for about 8k. South of France might be 5-6k. That is pretty good as a comparison with the fuel cost and saves you a couple of hundred engine hours

My boat 48ft semidisplacment in 2007 from Gibraltar to Southampton was 10k my costing at the time in fuel was about 7k plus expenses and depending on weather/breakdowns 2 to 3 weeks which I did not have available so I shipped it. Bear in mind fuel costs have shot up since then and getting stuck with a severe mechanical problem in some remote fishing village can get expensive and time consuming. Shipping is a definiteknown cost / time.

A friend of mine shipped an identical boat from Southampton to Turkey in 2009 quotes ranged from 25k to 18k he took the latter and it worked well.

Beware rip off customs clearance charges one agent tried to charge him i believe 3.5k clearance into Greece ( or was it grease?).

For the latter it was much cheaper than the fuel and expenses and he had motored from UK to greece and back before over a couple of seasons.

My problem by road was the height for spanish roads My boat was too high, you are probably ok for French roads and I dont know about Italy other than they have lots of tunnels.

The shipping agent i used was Peters and May of Eastleigh and it was water to water including insurance and cradle.