Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

I've got the RYA Day Skipper certs but I've virtually no other experience and haven't stepped on a boat for about 3 years.

Nice to know when I do get round to sorting boat/mooring (that magnum trimaran will be mine) I'll be perfectly proficient.
    Last edited by Fittster; 12-01-12 at 13:53.

A bit off the wall but what about a Maurice Griffiths Eventide. The example below looks good for 4.5k - with new inboard 2009. Ticks all your boxes.

http://www.boatshop24.co.uk/advertde...refno=25331258

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Wytco0,

if you plan creek crawling & drying out on the twin keels, don't be so quick to specify a sea toilet; they don't work if the boat is dried out, and can require unpleasant & expensive maintenance including their seacocks, they also mean holes in the hull which can never be a particularly good thing.

Contrary to what some believe, modern chemical loos do not smell, can be used with the boat dried out - and in a crowded marina - and are completely self contained...just a thought.
    Nothing against a porta potti - but it will need to be carried ashore to an emptying point every few days. I wouldn't risk trying to pour it over the side, even far out to sea.

There's no great problem with sea toilets on a drying anchorage, just take a bucket of sea water aboard before the tide departs. You can choose to flush thro (not pleasant on a hot day with several hours before the tide returns) or to hold in the water until the tide returns. With the seat closed there is little smell. If dried out on sand, you could flush thro & then bury any solids, flushing with a little fresh sea water from your bucket. Obviously one needs to be sensible if on a popular beach, but I like the quiet deserted spots anyway.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Nothing against a porta potti - but it will need to be carried ashore to an emptying point every few days. I wouldn't risk trying to pour it over the side, even far out to sea.

There's no great problem with sea toilets on a drying anchorage, just take a bucket of sea water aboard before the tide departs. You can choose to flush thro (not pleasant on a hot day with several hours before the tide returns) or to hold in the water until the tide returns. With the seat closed there is little smell. If dried out on sand, you could flush thro & then bury any solids, flushing with a little fresh sea water from your bucket. Obviously one needs to be sensible if on a popular beach, but I like the quiet deserted spots anyway.
    I took a walk down Aber Menai beach last weekend As i understand this is one of your "favourite spots", i shall tread more carefully next time

wytco0 is offline Registered User

Default Thanks and keep them coming

Thanks for all your recommendations I have added a list in the first post and I am going to start researching them all at the weekend. I will update the list with my findings and thoughts.

I am not sure if its a function of the small(ish) size of these boats but from the pictures I have seen so far many of them look very attractive which I was not expecting.

You are talking like a pillock, abusing people like that.

What courses did Ransome take, or Shane Acton, were the Hiscocks RYA trained, or Tilman? What is this stupid obsession with abrogating all responsibility for one's own safety by "taking courses?" . . .

. . . On the other hand I happen to know quite a few good sailors that happen to hold RYA quals, but they are not good sailors just because they have the certificate.
    Glad you said it before I got to boiling point and said something regrettable

I had a Swin Ranger for sixteen years with a porta potti. With a family of four, I never had to do an 'emergency empty' over the side, just took the opportunity when I was along side at a convenient location.

PeteCooper is online now Registered User

I would suggest that a starting point would be to visit any marinas or places selling boats in your area, have a look at what is available in your price range, pick the best2 or 3 from them(by best I mean the ones that appeal to you most for whatever reason) then ask on here for any experience of them. If you focus on one particular model then they may be few and far between, or the cost of delivery to your mooring may be high.

Quote Originally Posted by tom_sail View Post
    I took a walk down Aber Menai beach last weekend As i understand this is one of your "favourite spots", i shall tread more carefully next time
    Easy to stay afloat there. Jolly good cockles up in the corner too.

BTW, I am not recommending crapping on the beach like a dog, you know, & the area is flooded by tides twice a day. There are still many parts of Scotland where domestic toilets flush directly into a crystal clear loch. You can sometimes see the ribbons of loo paper caught amongst the kelp.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

SAPurdie is offline Registered User

Default Bounce test

I spent many years with a lightweight 1/4 tonner. Much of the sailing time was spent holding her back as she tried to leapfrog the waves whenever heading even slightly windward.

I found that passage times were often slower than friends with Centaurs because the Centaurs could bully their way through the local short chop without the need to slow down.

Also I was very impressed by the amount of Fiberglass wasted during their construction. Try standing on any Fiberglass part and jumping up and down. The only weaknesses I am aware of is that:

- Some models were a little undernourished about the keel roots. Easily fixed, but this only seemed to reveal itself when they were permanently moored in tidal and I suspect probably very exposed locations.

- Early ones had leaky windows

- You cannot see out of the saloon windows when seated in a B layout unless you are seven feet tall.

Of course I eventually succumbed and bought one, a decision with which I am thoroughly satisfied.

I can think of no similarly small boat that would make me feel as safe as a Centaur had I made a poor weather decision, other than their stablemates (W25, Chieftain, etc.) This means that I am happy to set off on fairly long passages with the kids onboard, offsetting the unreliability of forecasts against the inherent seaworthiness of the boat. I am sure that any Centaur owner on the forum would be glad to show you their boat's capabilities...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast