Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Galia is offline Registered User

For cars you can get a flushing additive eg Wynns Oil Flush ,
    WYNN'S ENGINE FLUSH PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

The Wynn's Engine Flush Flush is a highly concentrated detergent, designed to clean all oil lubricating systems prior to an oil change. It quickly and efficiently dissolves varnish, sludge and other contaminants from vital engine parts and prevents contamination of fresh oil by residues left behind.

FEATURES & BENEFITS OF WYNN'S ENGINE FLUSH

425ml
    Cleans engines, hydraulic systems, gearboxes and differentials internally
    Quickly and efficiently dissolves varnish, sludge and other contaminants from vital engine parts
    Prevents contamination of fresh oil by residues left behind
    Neutralizes acids
    Frees sticking internal engine components by dissolving deposits
    Provides extra protection during the treatment
    Quietens noisy hydraulic valve lifters by removing deposits
    Is compatible with all mineral, synthetic, single and multigrade oils
    Recommended for all petrol & diesel engines

However, I have never used it.

I have known some use this stuff with seriously **** results & at least one new engine.

Lube oils have moved on light years and have super super sexy additive packs.

There is NO requirement for flushing oils, as modern lubes do a fantastic job at holding dangerous contaminants in suspension, particulary at Mickey Mouse marine lube oil drains. Additive pack barely breaks out into a sweat before being dumped.

Remember the engine manufacturer knows best, RTFM. Just spend on purchasing decent branded lube which meets the correct approval.

U.S EPA branded lube additives, flushing oils as expensive fraud (mainly kero based). However the additive manufacturers make huge profits and have correspondingly large marketing budgets.

Keep life simple by doing it by the book.

Quote Originally Posted by DAKA View Post
    A mate (retired large motor trader dealership ) uses a pint of road diesel in his engine oil before changing the oil, says the detergents in the diesel clean everything making fresh oil look brand new for much longer.

But I guess it will sort of screw up any oil analysis for a couple of seasons .

Does anyone bother with engine flush (either road diesel or known make) and what are the benefits ? any recommendations........
    I have been doing the same for many years, put a cup of diesel in a hot engine and run it (without load) for 5 mins before you drain the oil. (diesel is oil you know!)

I also add engine oil to the diesel tank whenever I fill up.

If you are changing your engine oil annually, you are not likely to built up much contamination. Most leisure marine users are doing less than 100 hours between changes.
    You are paying top for the correct oil, why waste more money on an additive.
    David

Going in for an oil change or for vehicle servicing can often mean getting upsold on other products. One of these goods, an engine flush, is offered much more frequently than a motor actually needs it. Source for this article: http://www.cardealexpert.com/news-in.../engine-flush/. Engine flush is a useful tool to help prolong the life of your car. You should have knowledge about flushing because if it happens that the technician uses too much pressure or does not use the machine correctly, there is a chance that it could cause damage to the engine which could include blowing out the seals on important engine parts.