Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ukmctc is offline Registered User

I understand the dinghy boys, the speed and the raw fun, but what about the people who want to cruise further afield, sleep aboard and possible entertain afloat.

I'd say for that the Trapper 500 was definately a good safe boat.

Mavanier is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ukmctc View Post
    Anything that makes it stand out against, say, a Sabre, Vega, Halcyon, Jaguar, Leisure, Tiger, etc etc?

Seajet is online now Registered User

Well I've sailed one ( twin keeler ) and would certainly prefer a Trapper 500 /501 compared to any of those; better sailing performance AND better interior; looks good too - a bit of a well kept secret I've always thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ukmctc View Post
    I understand the dinghy boys, the speed and the raw fun, but what about the people who want to cruise further afield, sleep aboard and possible entertain afloat.

Suggesting starting with a dinghy is not about speed & thrills; it's because that's by far the best way to learn boat & sail trim and how a sailing boat works, with very clear feedback to every input or lack thereof.

Dinghy sailing teaches lifelong instincts which will stand any cruiser sailor in good stead.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Well I've sailed one ( twin keeler ) and would certainly prefer a Trapper 500 /501 compared to any of those; better sailing performance AND better interior; looks good too - a bit of a well kept secret I've always thought.
    Bit of a sweeping statement. Trapper is as good as any of the others, but cramped down below, horrible engine installation, rudder that can turn round and is easily damaged. Not saying it should not be on the list, but compared with the others there are not so many around.

Does illustrate that one should not be too focused on one boat, particularly the ones where there is limited supply as you could miss out.

Here's a nice little boat, 'Gleam' our third, lovely family boat for little tots but maybe a bit restrictive for longer distances (but would a total beginner want to do that - more importantly - would the family ?). Or are folk too grand now to be seen on a little boat ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tranona View Post
    Bit of a sweeping statement. Trapper is as good as any of the others, but cramped down below, horrible engine installation, rudder that can turn round and is easily damaged. Not saying it should not be on the list, but compared with the others there are not so many around.

Does illustrate that one should not be too focused on one boat, particularly the ones where there is limited supply as you could miss out.
    Cramped down below ? Compared to the boats listed ? I think not ! The engine installation is standard...some people like the rudder as it streams rather than slamming over when going astern; as for availability there seemed a few around when a friend was looking at buying one.

The Trapper 500 will outsail the boats listed too, with the possible exception of the Vega if punching into a blow; then again the Trapper is available in twin keel form which is handy and can save a lot of money on moorings.

Quote Originally Posted by Seajet View Post
    Cramped down below ? Compared to the boats listed ? I think not ! The engine installation is standard...some people like the rudder as it streams rather than slamming over when going astern; as for availability there seemed a few around when a friend was looking at buying one.

The Trapper 500 will outsail the boats listed too, with the possible exception of the Vega if punching into a blow; then again the Trapper is available in twin keel form which is handy and can save a lot of money on moorings.
    +1, and having actually lived aboard the Trapper I have to say there is loads of room. The tiller was great for going astern as you could swing it 360, made going backwards easy and very controlable, I found also in marinas once turned the rudder was protected from damage by the odd collision from other boats going astern or generally out of control.
    Ours was the fin keel, sailed exceptionally well and made me look good (I'm still rubbish at it), it kept up with and held its own with many 33-42 footers that we sailed with.

This thread is actually a waste of space;

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN IDEAL BOAT!

Whether you are day sailing, trailering, just starting, experienced Ocean racer, round the bouys racer, family cruiser, liveaboard in a marina, world girdling liveaboard, shoal draft cruiser, dinghy cruiser or dinghy racer - or whatever other form of sailing meets your needs. All boats are a compromise in some way or shape. Even pure racers need to select the compromise that they think best fits the race it is being designed for. That is why all boats are different - even when designed to meet the same specific function.

So decide how you think you will use your boat, select something appropriate for that style of sailing that you like the look of (& SWMBO likes the accom) & preferably not too expensive for a first boat as you may change your requirements once you actually get out there sailing. Then buy it & use it.

Be prepared to move on to a different boat if your needs change or the kids grow or leave home.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    This thread is actually a waste of space;

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS AN IDEAL BOAT!

Whether you are day sailing, trailering, just starting, experienced Ocean racer, round the bouys racer, family cruiser, liveaboard in a marina, world girdling liveaboard, shoal draft cruiser, dinghy cruiser or dinghy racer - or whatever other form of sailing meets your needs. All boats are a compromise in some way or shape. Even pure racers need to select the compromise that they think best fits the race it is being designed for. That is why all boats are different - even when designed to meet the same specific function.

So decide how you think you will use your boat, select something appropriate for that style of sailing that you like the look of (& SWMBO likes the accom) & preferably not too expensive for a first boat as you may change your requirements once you actually get out there sailing. Then buy it & use it.

Be prepared to move on to a different boat if your needs change or the kids grow or leave home.
    Hmmm........."waste of Space" to which you added more........contradiction there me thinks