Default iPhone AIS app beta tester(s)

Hi,

We are looking for a couple of folks to take our app for a Beta sea trial (preferably around the Solent area).

We are designing an iPhone app that will allow you to see and be seen on global AIS systems like AIS Hub, Marine Traffic, ShipFinder etc. The App is focused on being used by a skipper on a boat at sea rather than on land. The app is standalone and allows you to transmit your boats' details and position within Coastal waters without needing an external AIS transponder or aerial. You must have a valid MMSI number assigned to your vessel to use it in AIS Transmit mode.

You will need an MMSI, an iPhone 3GS or 4, or iPad with OS 4.2 or later (must have a compass). If you are interested please contact me.

Thanks

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

Sorry, but what a nuts idea!

So your iPhone now communicates and overlays a 'false' AIS signal onto the AIS database. The AIS picture now varies between real AIS displays and Internet ones.

Why not just use any one of the various existing position based social networks to come up with a similar system rather than confuse the AIS landscape?
    "Tomorrow to fresh woods and pastures new"

Sounds interesting ...

If it's just a software app how are you going to get the AIS data - via an internet data feed?
    Also - how are you going to send out the data ??

prv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    If it's just a software app how are you going to get the AIS data - via an internet data feed?
    Sounds like internet both ways, so a) only useful inshore and b) not visible to other vessels or coastguard, who use real AIS rather than websites.

If this is published, it needs to be festooned with reminders that, even though you're transmitting a position, you won't be visible to other ships because you're transmitting in the wrong medium. I sailed with a guy once who was surprised that his mobile phone didn't work halfway between the Azores and the UK; there will be people who don't realise this.

Pete

nimbusgb is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fireball View Post
    Sounds interesting ...

AIS data is served over the internet via AIS Hub, Marine Traffic, ShipFinder etc it's already viewable on your phone as long as you are in 3g range. This app sounds as if it will communicate the handset location back to those servers to be overlaid as pseudo AIS targets with the 'challenges' raised already.
    "Tomorrow to fresh woods and pastures new"

Quote Originally Posted by nimbusgb View Post
    AIS data is served over the internet via AIS Hub, Marine Traffic, ShipFinder etc it's already viewable on your phone as long as you are in 3g range. This app sounds as if it will communicate the handset location back to those servers to be overlaid as pseudo AIS targets with the 'challenges' raised already.
    Ah ... in which case it's not really a great deal of use is it ... Don't need to tell anyone where I am in the Solent or generally anywhere I get a reliable data signal ...
    Although I can see a use of tracking - but it's a bit much to put a phone onboard just to track your boat - how many ppl will "forget" to turn it off and continue to use it ashore ...

There's already an app to track iPhones - Find my iPhone or Find Friends - both apple apps... foc

Marine Traffic already have an app like this - iAIS I think...

W.

Default Not in the solent. But count me in.

c
    Quote Originally Posted by goelectric View Post
    Hi,

We are looking for a couple of folks to take our app for a Beta sea trial (preferably around the Solent area).

We are designing an iPhone app that will allow you to see and be seen on global AIS systems like AIS Hub, Marine Traffic, ShipFinder etc. The App is focused on being used by a skipper on a boat at sea rather than on land. The app is standalone and allows you to transmit your boats' details and position within Coastal waters without needing an external AIS transponder or aerial. You must have a valid MMSI number assigned to your vessel to use it in AIS Transmit mode.

You will need an MMSI, an iPhone 3GS or 4, or iPad with OS 4.2 or later (must have a compass). If you are interested please contact me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PilotWolf View Post
    Marine Traffic already have an app like this - iAIS I think...

W.
    Seems that marine traffic have indeed done this already

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/iais.aspx

Not sure I see the point, as few people sail with AIS from the Internet

Tudorsailor

Default Free vouchers

Hi,

We have now launched the app on the App store - http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/compa...7039?ls=1&mt=8 - and I have 3 free vouchers for the app to give away as a thankyou. First PM first serve.