Default Raymarine Smartpilot SPX-5 bulkhead fitting

Hi
    Tried to get a bulkhead fitting kit from a Raymarine dealer today but he did not stock it. He then kindly informed that most people just use a 10mm bolt suitably cut to length to locate in the slot at the back of the wheel drive ring( presumably the kit is just a flat bottomed plastic peg, rather than one rounded to fit a pedestal profile) . I was rather pleased to hear this as 50 is rather a lot to pay for what is basically a locating stud!
    Going to install kit tomorrow-any tips regarding this installation, motor drive, control head, course computer and fluxgate unit welcomed.

The installation guide recommends only 2 positions for the drive unit as around 150 degrees clockwise from vertical and 300 degrees. Is there any reason for this? I appreciate that if the motor is in other positions the locating peg would have to follow the slot in the back of the drive housing also.
    thanks as always.

The kit also includes the mounting ring and sealing gasket so that the motor can fit inside the binnacle or through the bulkhead. So you can only use your bolt idea if the motor is external (as on a pedestal). I mounted my pin at the 300 position. Getting the length of the pin right is important as if it is too long it will foul the ring inside. The fitting instructions give all the dimensions to get pin right and the hole for the motor in the right place - paper template centred in the steering shaft. Again really important to get that right, and to ensure that the drive is clamped flat and concentric onto the wheel otherwise it may bind.

Barnac1e is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by catalac08 View Post
    Going to install kit tomorrow-any tips regarding this installation, motor drive, control head, course computer and fluxgate unit welcomed.
    I installed the Raymarine S1 Autopilot, the forerunner to your SPX-5, I believe, with many similarities. I documented it http://homepage.hispeed.ch/bhny/Autopilot.htm.

Hope that helps.

Think again! It is a pile of pooh IMHO. Weak useless plastic teeth, feeble drive, mechanically it is not a patch on the previous generation. allegedly.

Quote Originally Posted by whipper_snapper View Post
    Think again! It is a pile of pooh IMHO. Weak useless plastic teeth, feeble drive, mechanically it is not a patch on the previous generation. allegedly.

As the OP has already bought it I'm sure this is just what he wants to hear.

Boathook is online now Registered User

Having installed mine last winter with a bulkhead kit ...

Read the instructions quite a few times. Read the instructions with the pilot on board and considering where it is to be fitted. The drive motor can be installed at any angle but the lever can be awkward to get at, and the instructions I seem to remember mentioning compass 'shielding' being better when fitted as instructed. Don't mount the course computer on an opening panel that needs to be opened with autopilot in use. As mentioned by others the bulkhead kit is a flat bottom peg but it does come with a metal ring and rubber seal for the motor that makes the finish nice - I would make my own next time. Use the provided templates. I sure that there is more ....