Default VHF Antenna Replacement

Hi

I am looking to replace my fibreglass VHF antenna and have been considering the Metz masthead antenna instead. It can go up on the radar arch easily enough.

Does anyone have any experiance of these? How do they compare to the Fibreglass ones?

Thanks

Wayne

rafiki_ is offline Registered User

Sorry, can't help here, but unless someone posts a reply, there is a danger that your OP will fall off the bottom of the page.

ianfr is offline Registered User

I now have 2, one is mounted on the pushpit as an AIS aerial, and the other is on the masthead.
    Well made and do the job.
    Pays to use the thicker cable that is recommended.

MUCH better that the Glomex rubbish I have thrown away.

Regards

Ian
    Apogee Sabre 27, Tollesbury
    Apogee =The highest point in the development of something.

+1 very happy customer

http://www.saltyjohn.co.uk/boatproducts.htm

Well known of this parish will give free advice on position and cable and his prices are NOT FIXED.....

Second the view to maintain mast head setup as height is always the major factor in VHF range over water.

My receive is way better never used to pick up Liverpool CG from Pwllheli now loud and clear.

I am confident that I can be heard just as well.

No matter the make and model, an understanding of the basics and differences between boats will help in deciding on antenna design.

http://www.boat-project.com/tutorials/vhfant.htm

I've had both the coiled Metz and GRP antenna's with good results and believe that quality of installation (& fittings) is a more common reason for problems than quality of antenna or radio.

Default Replacement

Thanks for your comments - much appreciated.

I have decided that I will simply replace the GRP antenna as that will be a much simpler job rather than trying to get yet another cable through the arch.
    It appears the 2.4 mtr GRP ones had been cut down to around 6 foot so I will just replace them. I am looking at the Vtronix RV240 or the Glomex. I note a comment about the Glomex above - any comments on the Vtronix?

Thanks

Wayne