Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sarabande View Post
    if they are truly identical in configuration, then the only difference will be that the stainless one will break / bend quite a bit before the galvanised steel one.
    Not necessarily true at all. Depends on the steel specifications, but in general austenitic stainless steel is softer than what should be used ( see Rocna thread) for a galvanised anchor.

As for holding power, it will be identical until you come to some howling gale and storm force seas when the stainless might bend first. Personally I think you are more likely to have a problem with someone nicking the stainless anchor for scrap.

There will be such little difference that it wouldn't be noticeable. The difference in price on the other hand...
    And if you have a windlass you'll need calibrated stainless chain - have you looked at the price of that?

Personally I can think of much better ways of spending the excess money on a boat...

Quote Originally Posted by aluijten View Post
    Bit short tempered aren't we...

As said in the question same anchor, so same weight. Don't think the specific mass of stainless and other steel is that much different.
    To the rust remark, I was talking about a GALVANIZED. The objective of this process is to prevent rust.
    The question was not weather a stainless had better holding power, the question was if the difference (either way) would be significant.

It's correct to assume I'm not a die-hard anchor user. But I do like to have a functional anchor in the case I do use it.

Over to you....
    I understand that English is not your first language, but you need to think about the issues I raised. I was pointing out that a rough uneven surface may one less likely to slide thro the bottom than a nice gleaming one. If appearance & posing is important, get the shiny one, if not get the cheaper one as it will work at least as well & possibly better AND be less attractive to thieves. Several different people have now told you exactly the same.

But it's your boat & your money, so ultimately your choice - but please don't claim no-one is trying to tell you.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

aluijten is offline Registered User

Thanks all for your responses. It's not my first choice to spend money on a shiny anchor. But I must admit, it does look nice on the bow and if the performance is similar, who I a to say my soul mate can't spend some money on it. After all we're in this boat together

I understand the arguments about friction, strength and theft. I did consider them myself already.
    I was hoping for someone that had some first hand experience as it's still not clear how much the different factors have an impact on real-life experience.

Cheers,
    A.

Twister_Ken is offline Registered User

20 kg galvanised Spade, 472 +VAT
    20 kg stainless Spade, 1272 +VAT

Now, what was that question again?
    Next time, it'll all be different.

... and 30m of calibrated 10mm chain:
    Galvanised : 370
    Stainless: 1290
    Approximately.

New headsail instead? That would smarten up the front of the boat too.

aluijten is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bignick View Post
    New headsail instead? That would smarten up the front of the boat too.
    So you want do discuss smarter looks with a woman. A brave man you are

Blue Fox is offline Registered User

I did have on a boat I owned a stainless steel anchor. Holding well, but the problem was the rusting shackle (galvanised) that connected the chain. You can't avoid the corrosion between the two kind of metals. Had to replace (sometimes saw off) the shackle every year.
    Chris

Wink

Thanks all for your responses. It's not my first choice to spend money on a shiny anchor. But I must admit, it does look nice on the bow and if the performance is similar, who I a to say my soul mate can't spend some money on it. After all we're in this boat together

I understand the arguments about friction, strength and theft. I did consider them myself already.
    I was hoping for someone that had some first hand experience as it's still not clear how much the different factors have an impact on real-life experience.

Cheers,
    A.
    I have found a big lump of stone works fine. Marble, obviously!

So you want do discuss smarter looks with a woman. A brave man you are
    I can be as brave as I want on here.... in practice..... well, lets say that sometimes my wife will follow my sense of logic.

I'm looking at folding props - with a bit of luck she'll never even know its there. Things that can't be seen may not exist....