Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seajet is offline Registered User

I think Mr Cousteau was talking in now outdated terms, for mass consumption by the armchair divers; ' Zuddenlee, Phillipe was in graaave dangeer ' but good luck with the SBS.

An approximate quote I've always liked of Tom Cunliffe's was to the effect 'that there is no right way to do anything in boating - but there are ways that will get you in trouble quicker than others'.
    Last edited by RobbieW; 21-01-12 at 20:18.
    If you're not confused, you're probably misinformed

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster View Post
    So if I want some advice on something then I must be sure to say "what is a good way to"

Based on your advice I will disregard everything I have been taught about "best practice" then as clearly there isn't any...
    Fine, if you like to take what I said in that way.

Or you could try to read it properly next time.

I would be very interested to know what you consider to be "best practice" that would suit all boats, & all skippers in all conditions. Then we can all do exactly that next time we go out, whether it's on a lake, up a creek or across an ocean.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

prv is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyman View Post
    One thing that grips my s**t, is oh how I wish peeps would learn the terminology.
    Peeps calling Heads the toilet. Galley the kitchen. Portholes a window. Stbd the right side. Port the left. Bunk a bed. Cabin a room etc etc
    I was sat next to a guy at a wedding a while ago who was thinking of buying a motorboat. "I've seen a nice little three-bedroom one for sale", he said, as if he was talking about a suburban semi

The first time I ever heard the phrase "turning in his grave" was when my dad said my grandad would be doing it after someone referred to "the floor" on a boat. For some reason this particular one used to, as you put it, grip my grandad's **** more than most. He would grind out "cabin sole" between gritted teeth.

Personally I can't say any of this bothers me at all

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by LittleSister View Post
    So what is it, er, best to call, er, flippers and goggles?
    Fins. The folks I learned to dive with would have corrected you with "Flipper was a f***ing dolphin!"

Same as when I used to shoot, the word "gun" would get some sarcastic retort about machine-guns or artillery pieces.

Someone once told me that foxhunters don't like their coats being described as "red". They're always "pink", even though they're red.

Every group seems to invent its own petty terminological rules. There's probably a sociology paper or two in it.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster View Post
    Based on your advice I will disregard everything I have been taught about "best practice" then as clearly there isn't any...
    I know of an organisation where there wasn't any. They erected lots of bureaucracy around anything described as a "best practice" - monitoring whether it was being followed, whether people were being trained in it, whether it was being reviewed, and so on - none inherently bad in theory, but all stifling in practice. Nobody wanted to be involved with a Best Practice in this environment, so they made sure only to ever refer to things as a "good practice"

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by prv View Post
    I know of an organisation where there wasn't any. They erected lots of bureaucracy around anything described as a "best practice" - monitoring whether it was being followed, whether people were being trained in it, whether it was being reviewed, and so on - none inherently bad in theory, but all stifling in practice. Nobody wanted to be involved with a Best Practice in this environment, so they made sure only to ever refer to things as a "good practice"

Pete
    I used to work with an organisation that had "Practices Worth Replicating (PWR)". Whole websites, teams and news flyers on the subject, encouraging us to submit PWRs to be scrutinised for approval as a PWR. A lot of hot air iirc and not much substance to come out of it. I can't remember anything worth replicating that wasn't already being done on our projects. As a process it faded into oblivion.
    Last edited by BlowingOldBoots; 22-01-12 at 09:11. Reason: Dyslexic acronyms untie
    Having time is unavoidable.