Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Thanks Spi D. Only thing in this that appears to give cause for concern is the reference to part availability at the end.....

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    ...at the end.....
    Or earlier.
    Of all those models mentioned not many survived and the constant reference to BMW does not put in the BMW-car league, IMO

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Thanks Spi D. Only thing in this that appears to give cause for concern is the reference to part availability at the end.....
    The VM based Mercruiser engines have been a bit of a pass the parcel. They were brought into the JV with Cummins because of a long term supply agreement between Mercruser and VM. CMD supported the engine and signed off the later common rail QSD versions of the engine.

    Some CMD dealers in UK/Europe had real positive results with the QSD's however engines never sold well in the US as the VM engines were traditonally supported by Detroit Diesel and asking Cummins dealers to support what was perceived as a Detroit product was akin to sleeping with the enemy.

    CMD was in the process of replacing the VM range with VW engines and integrating them with Smartcraft for Tier III when a huge bust up led to the end of CMD.

    Left VM based engines as a bit of an orphan, support used to be Barrus when they were Mercruiser Diesel, then parcel passed to CMD and Barrus dumped much of their spares inventory. Now the CMD JV has ended suspect that spares support for VM's will not be a huge priority and if CMD Swanick were to close??

    Suspect Barrus will take over the VW based Mercruiser Diesel stuff, however will they want to go back to supporting VM's??

    Nanni have now added VM's to their range to make up for the loss of the Toyota 4.2 due ending engine of production. However Nanni parts pricing is bonkers!

    Owning a marine engine is all about support, whatever technical merits.
    Last edited by Latestarter1; 23-01-12 at 13:11.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spi D View Post
    Or earlier.
    Of all those models mentioned not many survived and the constant reference to BMW does not put in the BMW-car league, IMO
    Yes, I agree with the BMW bit - no read across from the automotive world of BMW to the marine versions

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latestarter1 View Post
    The VM based Mercruiser engines have been a bit of a pass the parcel. They were brought into the JV with Cummins because of a long term supply agreement between Mercruser and VM. CMD supported the engine and signed off the later common rail QSD versions of the engine.

    Some CMD dealers in UK/Europe had real positive results with the QSD's however engines never sold well in the US as the VM engines were traditonally supported by Detroit Diesel and asking Cummins dealers to support what was perceived as a Detroit product was akin to sleeping with the enemy.

    CMD was in the process of replacing the VM range with VW engines and integrating them with Smartcraft for Tier II when a huge bust up led to the end of CMD.

    Left VM based engines as a bit of an orphan, support used to be Barrus when they were Mercruiser Diesel, then parcel passed to CMD and Barrus dumped much of their spares inventory. Now the CMD JV has ended suspect that spares support for VM's will not be a huge priority and if CMD Swanick were to close??

    Suspect Barrus will take over the VW based Mercruiser Diesel stuff, however will they want to go back to supporting VM's??

    Nanni have now added VM's to their range to make up for the loss of the Toyota 4.2 due ending engine of production. However Nanni parts pricing is bonkers!

    Owning a marine engine is all about support, whatever technical merits.
    Hmmm, I take your point on support for marine engines. I guess parts will be available but a bit harder to find or expensive if Nanni are the supplier. Not familiar with them but surely they can't be more expensive than Volvo Penta??

    Usually get all my VP parts from Keypart and a quick look at their website suggests that they stock Mercruiser stuff.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
    Hmmm, I take your point on support for marine engines. I guess parts will be available but a bit harder to find or expensive if Nanni are the supplier. Not familiar with them but surely they can't be more expensive than Volvo Penta??

    Usually get all my VP parts from Keypart and a quick look at their website suggests that they stock Mercruiser stuff.
    Nanni and Yanmar can make VP parts pricing look a steal!

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Latestarter1 View Post
    Nanni and Yanmar can make VP parts pricing look a steal!
    Blimey! Really?? I had no idea........

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    I have worked with Volvo and Mercruiser for over 17 years and now am the senior engineer at the largest Volvo dealer in southern Norway, we have 9 engineers and not one of them would have a Volvo engine in their boat and in fact none of them does we are all CMD mercruiser owners with a Steyer motor thrown in.
    We see first hand how many times the green engines go wrong, we have at least 3 D3 D4 or D6's out at any given time for new wiring harness which have burnt out due saltwater damage, or water ingress causing total engine failure, we change steering cylinders almost as a service item and I rebuild DPG and DPH drives frequently compared to the old 290 drives.
    I can't remember when we last took a Mercruiser out and rarely open a drive.
    You have to keep a close eye on a New D series if you want it to last, as it only needs a leak from the old type seawater filter or from the intercooler to get into the electrics and its engine out! I can't see these engines lasting as long as the older diesels if they are neglected.
    Regarding VM motors I can't say anything bad about them, never opened one yet for major repairs, as for rusted sumps well any mild steel sump will rust no matter what colour the engine if it is exposed to water as was the sump on a D6 we changed last week and Bosch pumps are no more problematic on a VM motor than on a Volvo which also use Bosch pumps.
    And the Smartcraft system is light years ahead of VP's EVC system, I know as I have done dozens of software updates to correct glitches and communication problems, whereas Smartcraft works straight out of the box and has a lot more in it as standard.
    Well thats just my humble opinion from someone at the sharp end, no doubt dozens of satisfied VP owners will roast me now, all I can say is that fixing green engines pays my salary!
    Last edited by spannerman; 22-01-12 at 19:11.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    5,004

    Default

    Hi Spannerman.

    A nice reply to this thread that gives a VERY true answer to modern green motors for sure, id back you up 100% on your statements over green motors, however as a boat owner myself and green engine man id say the opposite as an owner, id rather have a volvo than any other based on the model I currrently own, however if and when I change boats id certainly not put my money on a newer generation green motor or drive for that matter.

    The older (rebuildable) engines will be around for many years to come, I cant say the same for the newer generation engines, thats what this post is all about, ive given my view over the black motors, im just no fan of them and some dealers over here are just plain hard work to deal with compared to our vast network of green engine suppliers.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    1,702

    Default

    Spannerman, Volvopaul,
    Thanks to both of you - good to hear some balanced and informed debate from two people who know what their subject matter. Very helpful.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •