Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Contessa 39

Default Contessa 39

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Contessa 39? There's very little on the internet.

Why not ask Jeremy Rogers at Lymington?

http://sailboatdata.com/view_builder.asp?builder_id=168

Aren't the boats latterly called a Dawn 39 following takeover of the moulds/rights.

Also iirc the navy at Dartmouth have a fleet of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Seven View Post
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge of the Contessa 39? There's very little on the internet.
    Very little because few were actually built. When it came out, fashions had changed and that style of boat lost popularity. As already mentioned it was rebadged as the Dawn 39 and some were built, but often home completed from mouldings.

Quote Originally Posted by E39mad View Post
    Aren't the boats latterly called a Dawn 39 following takeover of the moulds/rights.
    According to http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewreco...?class_id=4449 that's the Contessa 38.

I tried without success to obtain info on the D39 a few years ago when I was daydreaming about self-build, IIRC www.blaxtonboats.co.ukwere advertising mouldings at that time but there's nothing about it on their website now.

Boo2

Quote Originally Posted by Boo2 View Post
    According to http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewreco...?class_id=4449 that's the Contessa 38.
    Correct - the 38 is very similar to the 32 in terms of style.

IIRC the 39 started out as a One Ton IOR race boat in (I think) 1979 and the first couple were quite stripped out, although I believe a few were also built with fully fitted interiors.

I think the moulds ended up at Crinnan, IIRC they were for sale about 8 years ago as well as a couple of hulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Seven View Post
    The S&S or the Rogers stretched 32
    a friend had the stretched one & hated it he sold it within 9 months & bought a Nic 35 owned her these past 12 yrs
    I may be wrong but not always

I think this is one of them.
    Lovely boat if they stay upright!

Holiday Flat to let in Millport , pm for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Morven View Post
    I think the moulds ended up at Crinnan, IIRC they were for sale about 8 years ago as well as a couple of hulls.
    They were both on the pier at Ardrishaig for a long while. A storm blew one into the harbour and damaged it badly. The other one was bought by someone from darn sarf...
    Add Alcohol