Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jimbaerselman View Post
    Those who advocate "always keep out of the way" should therefore either fit radar, or only cross when visibility is 10nm plus, or cross under third party radar surveillance. Or go so fast that it's your problem anyway!
    Having radar, it doesn't bother me whatever the visibility, day or night. Keeping out of the way is usually a matter of slight course change to time it so no-one is inconvenienced which, in my book, is a more courteous approach than that demonstrated by many who don't give a sh*t who they inconvenience by insisting on holding their course no matter what.

Seajet is offline Registered User

Graham,

I tend to agree, although I fitted radar & night vision they're no magic answer; it still boils down to courtesy & common sense, mixed with a dash of survival instinct !

Default channel crossing

After 245000 miles of SAFE sailing in yachts ranging from a circumnav in a 23 footer I will give you the best advice possible. MIGHT IS RIGHT in other words ALWAYS pass around the stern of another vessel NO MATTER what size this called the safe zone. ALWAYS give way and yes the wave pattern does change with all the large ships. If your yacht is sea worthy and you are a sensible sailor you can make the trip in SAFETY.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamM376 View Post
    +1

I find the term "impede" to be ambiguous in that it could be taken to mean that if you cause a vessel to change course to avoid you (to give way to you) in the TSS, you are impeding his passage.
    It is not ambiguous in this case as it is given an explicit definition in the rules.

You would be impeding the vessel if you forced them to make a manoeuvre that endangers that vessel. If they have plenty of room for manoeuvre then you cannot be impeding them, and they remain the give way vessel obliged to comply fully with the normal rules (again that is explicitly stated).

Quote Originally Posted by alexrunic View Post
    Hey its worked for me for the last 10 years. i don't dither, i make sure if there is any doubt i go behind any other vessel in good time. Its common sense surely?? I regularly cross the TSS off the Humber and the ones off the continental coast. I appreciate they are not as busy as the Dover Straight. But i would still use the same common sense.

How do you know if the ship has even seen you, never mind if it will change course just because according to the rules it should.

Ok some times they do in good time, then you know you will be ok, otherwise sail defensively.

How can this be dangerous??
    It is dangerous because it is breaking the rules - and more explicitly if you try to duck behind the give way vessel you will bring yourself into direct conflict with that vessel if it obeys the rules (since it should turn to go behind your stern).

In my view the only safe alternative to obeying the rules would be to turn onto a parallel course as the larger vessel - then you are safe if it stands on or gives way

Seajet is offline Registered User

I've crossed the Channel 24 times or more, and can only give a few hints, not 'the best possible advice' which is a wildly bogus claim; also though I haven't tried it personally I thought it's 27,000 miles around the Earth even by starship, probably a fair bit more by a boat...

All I would say is planning is everything, and fatigue is the no.1 enemy...
    Last edited by Seajet; 24-01-12 at 21:00.

as an ex fisherman i am with theguerns---safer under the stern---also if there are other small boats in the vicinity think about slowing down or speeding up to group together and avoid presenting a salom course to a large boat bearing down on you----regards lenten

I have heard ships ranting at yachts from time to time because the (presumably stand-on) yacht has changed course to pass astern when the ship has already altered course. Passing traffic in busy lanes is something of an art and I am suspicious of the idea of having a fixed plan. As people have said, most ships do appear to give way from a considerable distance and I prefer to hold my course until I know that this is not going to happen and only then change course to leave a safe distance between us, preferably about a mile.
    Far away is near at hand in images of elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    Don't try swimming over then.
    The French no longer permit Channel swims from their side. We do, still, but it is very, very carefully managed. It has to be under the auspices of the Channel Swimming Association (or one other, smaller association). Because pilots must have several years intense training before being authorised, there are never very many, about 5 I think at present. As a result, demand (from would-be swimmers) exceeds supply, and they are always looking for new pilots and observers from among experienced yachties, if you are interested!

But if you try an independent swim - yes, you'll be in deep doggy-doos even if you do survive!

Quote Originally Posted by glennytots View Post
    Any thoughts from sailors of small yachts who have made this trip?
    A cheapish AIS reciever helps massively.

If you have room to fit it and can afford it.

Do a few crossings with one and then one without, then come back on here and say which you prefer. Once the fog comes down.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast