Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Pete735 is offline Registered User

Default I've bought one!

I bought one of these 2 weeks ago as I liked the idea of a combined unit and thought it was a competitive price. I had it on test in the garage for 48 hours (actually 24 hours on each setup) and it was fine. I went into Nasa as I was on my way down the A1M anyway, and bought one "over the counter" - I did phone first though.

I spoke to one of the guys at Nasa (an engineer) and he told me that the tricolour had been modified to take care of voltage spikes caused by battery chargers (they thought from a couple of failures), plus something to make it less susceptible to lightening strikes. They also burn in all units I was told.

I'm just finishing a new electric panel so the reverse polarity switch is incorporated into my new panel. Only one small niggle, I wish there was a small bezel to go on the switch to indicate masthead/tricolour - anchorlight.

No connection with company just a happy user of Nasa kit and as someone has already said, they are British and for me that counts.

"I'm just finishing a new electric panel so the reverse polarity switch is incorporated into my new panel. Only one small niggle, I wish there was a small bezel to go on the switch to indicate masthead/tricolour - anchorlight. "

Pete, I dont think the switch supplied includes a circuit breaker or fuse, unlike the standard yachtie panel push switch. You might need to fit something.

That bezel is another small niggle: no anchor/tricolour switch label supplied.

My polarity reversing toggle switch of choice is Maplin part NoN25KA with optional toggle cover (JR79L) cos its IP67 rated (ie waterproof). Having soldered on the wiring, I've 'potted' the connectors with epoxy. Fiddly.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardo; 28-03-12 at 13:49.

Highndry is offline Registered User

Does that switch have an 'all off' position in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham_Wright View Post

I spent some time talking to the guy at the counter who seemed more engineer than salesman. He explained that the inpu volts were boosted to 50 internally to improve the efficiency. He also added they had redressed the failures problem.
    Let's hope so, there has been a lot of failures of their tricolour.
    Last edited by noelex; 22-05-12 at 17:48.

Rogershaw is offline Registered User
    Location : Me: Johannesburg South Africa Yacht: Durban East Coast Africa

On mine most of the red and green LED's failed open circuit. I replaced them and it seems OK now.

They must have had a bad batch of led's.

Surely the real question is why buy one at all. The reason we use tricolour masthead lights was that in doing so we could use just one 25w bulb rather than the three that are needed for sidelights and stern light. But now we have LED lights with little leccy consumption, why not just use the deck level nav lights all the time.

Any big ship master you talk to will tell you thats far preferable to masthead lights which can be lost in shoreline light clutter

Erbas is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by wotayottie View Post
    Surely the real question is why buy one at all. The reason we use tricolour masthead lights was that in doing so we could use just one 25w bulb rather than the three that are needed for sidelights and stern light. But now we have LED lights with little leccy consumption, why not just use the deck level nav lights all the time.
    Because firstly that would mean buying three separate LED lights which is more expensive and secondly it would place total reliance on technology which is not necessarily easily repaired at sea

The good old fashioned deck level lights can, assuming spare bulbs are available, be fixed or at worst bodged with the most basic of tools.

Since they would normally be used in conjunction with the engine the current consumption isn't an issue

Quote Originally Posted by wotayottie View Post
    Any big ship master you talk to will tell you thats far preferable to masthead lights which can be lost in shoreline light clutter
    I'm far from convinced this is the case on a boat the size of ours. The deck level lights are barely a metre above the waterline whereas the masthead will always be visible above the waves etc.
    Marine electrical engineer 07950 977826
    https://www.facebook.com/peckettmarine/info

Doesnt work like that Brigantia. I've just taken my boat round Lands End to Falmouth. It was a 28 hour trip and when it became dark I found that my masthead tricolour did not work. No practical option but to go round in the dark and without lights - no way would I risk motoring through all those pots when I could not see them and I could not power 75 watts of lights as well as everything else for that length of time with the engine off.. Had I got led bulbs in the deck level lights, I could have used them instead.

The technology argument is a reversal of reality - filiament bulbs fail with regularity whereas leds have on average a way longer life. Its easy to carry a spare of led as filiament and just as easy to replace in the deck level light fittings. Even the cost argument doesnt apply - a filiament staggered pin 25w bulb is 7 and the equivalent led from ultra leds is just pennies more.

As for the argument about the height of the tricolour making them merge with shoreside clutter, I am quoting what the master of a cross channel ferry said to me personally. I believe he knows more about what he can / cannot see from his bridge than you do.

Erbas is online now Registered User

I disagree so lets agree to disagree on this one ?

Edit ..

I might add by the way that the new masthead tricolour is significantly brighter than the 10W deck level lights and I do mean significantly

I am absolutely satisfied that the combi masthead LED in conjunction with standard filament deck level lights is the right setup. So there!

Edit 2 ... 47.95 (LED drop in replacement for standard 25w bulb) is rather more than pennies more than 6.95 (standard 25w bulb) and you'd properly have to carry THREE spares (red, green and white)
    Last edited by Erbas; 23-05-12 at 14:13.
    Marine electrical engineer 07950 977826
    https://www.facebook.com/peckettmarine/info

Quote Originally Posted by Brigantia View Post

Edit 2 ... 47.95 (LED drop in replacement for standard 25w bulb) is rather more than pennies more than 6.95 (standard 25w bulb) and you'd properly have to carry THREE spares (red, green and white)
    White bulbs, coloured lenses but http://www.ultraleds.co.uk/utri5ww-w...5d-p-2075.html - poor memory.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast