Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    There speaks someone who is paid from government coffers and doesn't have to grovel for his shillings.
    You're right - never felt the need or the desire to do much grovelling.
    Don't think I'm missing out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    I can tell you the good shopmeisters in Poole and Bournemouth would be open over Bank Holidays including the supermarkets. At the very least the chandlers would be open on the Saturday, even if not on the Sunday or the Monday and they would certainly have the courtesy to call back after a voicemail.
    I must have missed the news reports of the mass Guernsey famine or the pictures of begging children in the streets of St Peter Port.
    Either that, or the good people of Guernsey are managing well enough without having to work bank holiday weekends. Good for them.
    Work to live - don't live to work.

In the real world you don't always get what you want when you want it. Even my children know that.
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Yacht Breeze View Post

Can novice young lads really be trained in boat handling, seamanship, berthing skills etc. in a week? I doubt it.
    Course they can - it's not particle physics is it. Pretty noddy stuff and kids learn fast if they want to do.

Actually, times have become harder in Guernsey of late. A spiralling welfare bill, among other things, led to a lively debate about public spending and taxes. I was involved in a public utility contract at the time, so got a lot of background info from state employees.

it's a matter of degree - I believe part of the debate was over the ou
    Trageous prospect of spending cuts vs the government actualy having to borrow money for once

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpybear View Post
    Actually, times have become harder in Guernsey of late. A spiralling welfare bill, among other things, led to a lively debate about public spending and taxes. I was involved in a public utility contract at the time, so got a lot of background info from state employees.

it's a matter of degree - I believe part of the debate was over the ou
    Trageous prospect of spending cuts vs the government actualy having to borrow money for once
    Our troubles are largely self-inflicted - following the Isle of Man down the road of "zero-10" taxation. Don't ask. What we should have done was complain like hell to the UK and EU about the 230 million subsidy that the UK was giving to the IoM. That subsidy enabled the IoM to dream up zero-10, in the belief that the Channel Islands could not follow without crippling ourselves.

In the event we did manage, just, and then the UK cut their subsidy to the IoM, leaving them with an as yet unresolved problem. But we are still stuck with zero-10, and it's not comfortable.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Talking Particle Physics

Quote Originally Posted by Bosun Higgs View Post
    Course they can - it's not particle physics is it. Pretty noddy stuff and kids learn fast if they want to do.
    Bosun Higgs - particle physics - sounds like you should know
    Maximise your effectiveness at work - visit www.bluestone-training.com

Quote Originally Posted by longjohnsilver View Post
    I look forward to returning again this year, I do love Alderney.
    +1
    Proudly supporting our troops. http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

snooks is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guernsey_Harbours View Post
    Apologies for the delay in response There are a number of misunderstandings and assumptions included within the thread, so it would be useful to be objective and try and clarify a few points.

Guernsey Harbours receives some 10,000 visiting yachts each year. In fact we have the largest reserved berthing capability for visiting yachts in Britain.

We welcome feedback from all. In that vein, comments freely given and regularly received from boat shows has overwhelmingly been along the lines of 'We enjoy the personal welcome service, the loos are second to none, see you next season'. It's a fact that in the last two years, harbour management have had no adverse feedback or formal direct complaints about customer service from visiting yachts. Interpret that how you will.

So it is of concern that an indirect blog appears to be the sole conduit for the comments being made.

Yes the port is busy. It has been full most summers for as long as most can remember. As a first principle we pride ourselves on doing our level best to provide a safe berth and protection from the weather and in welcoming all visitors alike. If that means double banking or rafting at the height of the season, so be it. Have a thought for the yacht still outside. The far greater crime is to send the tired crew of a yacht back out to sea, late at night, using the 'full up' sign as an excuse. That is certainly not our style.

We start the daily round of dues collection at 8.30 local time, (which for 40% of our visitors on EU time, is an hour later.) With several hundred yachts to visit, this takes quite a long time and can use up the whole morning. We prefer not to use the afternoon when large numbers have a siesta. Whilst we are sure that none of your correspondents would ever dream of leaving without paying, it's a sad fact that many do.

St. Peter Port does not reserve berths for anybody, regattas and rallies included, and the larger of these are discouraged during the high season. In any event, we do try to moor clubs and rallies together if at all possible for their convenience and to least inconvenience others. One man's joyful reunion or safe arrival party is sometimes annoying to others. That's life.

It is not acceptable, in our view, to tell a visitor that the empty berth he is looking at, is paid for and therefore unavailable. Where's the customer relations in that? Far sooner welcome a real arrival than take a deposit from a possible only.

The use of young temporary summer staff has been in place for a very long time. Maybe they don't have the communication skills, subtlety or experience of older hands and yes it is accepted that three recent retirements of the old hands has led to a marked reduction in that overall quantum of knowledge. We accept and understand that experience does take time to develop.

Speed limits within the harbours apply to all, staff and visitors alike. Occasionally, as one might expect, the enthusiasm to hurry and get on with the job has led to a reprimand. Unfortunately, with 30 foot rise and fall, time and tide wait for no man. On a lighter note, that, by the way, is why the ladders are so high. Any shorter and they would not reach the jetty top.

As suggested earlier, all feedback is welcomed, hard copy, email or personal. The office is open. Of course we take on board the comments made and will look to ways for improvement. However, scuttlebutt is scuttlebutt, Don't listen to rumour, come and judge us for yourself.
    This comment has just been approved, sorry for the delay
    Yachting photographer http://grahamsnook.com/news
    (and boat tester)

Default Guernesy Harbour Master

Well that puts us in our places doesn't it.

What a load of tosh and swerve, no say nothing of a serious 'economy of the truth'.
    As far as I am concerned it simply means I will go there if I really have to, otherwise they can stuff their harbour.

Obviously my complaint last year was ignored/not recorded.

Bo**ocks I say.
    Real men do it two handed

It's a fact that in the last two years, harbour management have had no adverse feedback or formal direct complaints about customer service from visiting yachts. Interpret that how you will.
    I think a few on here will interpret that as either an out and out lie - or that complaints are not passed on or recorded ...

So it is of concern that an indirect blog appears to be the sole conduit for the comments being made.
    This is a bit more than an "indirect blog" ...

However, scuttlebutt is scuttlebutt, Don't listen to rumour, come and judge us for yourself.
    This Scuttlebutt is a place for all to come and share their experiences, knowledge and ask questions .. it is a very valuable resource ..

Whilst there may be a few trolls on here I wouldn't be too hasty and dismiss this thread to rumour ...

Default Harbour's response

Well, we were told to expect denial and that's what we have. Sad really because if the harbour authority took notice and acted they could make St. Peter Port and 'must visit' destination and not a 'must avoid' harbour.

The evidence on this thread flies in the face of what the harbour authority claims. The only glimmer of acceptance is the acknowledgement that, yes, the lads in the dorys do speed and sometimes cause excessive wake. Well, if they curtail those antics at least something will have been achieved by our comments but forget sleeping in - you're going to be woken at half eight every morning, like it or not, to check you've paid.

We've tried to help, we've been ignored.

Who is the loser I ask?

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast