Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    npf1 is offline Registered User

I did get a response from the Tourist Board saying they "will ensure that the harbour are aware of the comments that have been posted."

We visited twice last year. On each occasion whilst waiting there was inappropriate rafting of much larger vessels against us - the answer from the skipper on each occasion was "we were told to go here". HM staff were mostly kids with no understanding of boats and their limitations.

On the second occasion, after a five night stay we were refused permission to moor on pontoons outside the marina for a getaway. The reason - a large rally arriving overnight. Fair enough, we went back inside.

Next morning, got up at 3am, over the cill at the last possible moment and guess what - not a single boat on the pontoons. We parked there for a cup of tea and within minutes out comes the dory with a young lad saying that we had to leave - despite pointing out the absence of the supposed incoming fleet, and a promise we would leave the moment anyone tried to come alongside. Do they not check with organisers whether a fleet is indeed on its way, and when it is not, can they not believe the evidence of their own eyes? Is initiative not encouraged?

So, a really delightful island destination made something of an ordeal by a harbour staff which, frankly, doesn't seem to care one way or another. Compared with marinas in northern Brittany they really are a shambles. From what I have been told, bureaucracy in Guernsey makes the banana republics of South America look swift and purposeful so don't hold your breath for change any time soon.
    Wait three months, though, and a committee will have formulated a response to this thread denying everything!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHunter View Post
    Wait three months, though, and a committee will have formulated a response to this thread denying everything!
    Cynic
    www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

I have also emailed both Guernsey tourist board and SPP harbour with a link to this thread. I won't be holding my breath waiting for a response.

It's a real shame that there are frequently problems in SPP as we love Guernsey as place to spend time relaxing.

The harbours in Guernsey are run by a government department called Public Services with a board of elected people's Deputies. The chief of them is called a Minister, but he is in reality a chairman. His name is Bernard Flouquet, telephone number 01481 254326.
    On the internet no one knows you are a donkey.

Default Official response

From various posts I think we can be confident that a number of official bodies on Guernsey are aware of this thread and the shortcomings of the St. Peter Port marina operation.

How and when they respond and in what 'tone' will be a measure of their commitment to customer service and desire to correct the obvious problems.

It is in everyone's interest, theirs and ours, that they take on board the comment and take steps to put things right.

We shall see.

Robih is offline Registered User

Guernsey SPP waypoint now deleted from our 2012 cruise plan.

Well, I'll probably still be going. Not the greatest of marinas IMHO - and a bit chaotic - but it is busy which means things won't always go your way. St Helier is no better (maybe worse) with massively overcrowded visitor pontoons and no-one at all on duty to sort out the free-for-all. If there was ever to be a boat fire there... We always end up on the 'waiting' pontoon rafted 5 deep...

We generally go to SPP for provisions and to find a noisy bar but otherwise it's anchoring for us...
    Proudly supporting our troops. http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/

rotrax is offline Registered User

I have had an EMAIL from the SPP Chamber of Commerce. They tell me they have looked at the posts on this forum and will be considering their best course of action to get the faults in the service resolved. I chose to contact them as their members will be affected by fewer visitors financialy. The potential of taking less cash in the tills of SPP shops and bars will, I hope focus their minds!

Quote Originally Posted by rotrax View Post
    I have had an EMAIL from the SPP Chamber of Commerce. They tell me they have looked at the posts on this forum and will be considering their best course of action to get the faults in the service resolved. I chose to contact them as their members will be affected by fewer visitors financialy. The potential of taking less cash in the tills of SPP shops and bars will, I hope focus their minds!
    some progress then
    still nothing from my email to the HM
    I may be wrong but not always

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast