Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    rafiki_ is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    I love the rich irony of your posts Searush. I know what you mean about lovely anchorages from which you look at the sunset and stars. But wait a minute. You don't have a black tank do you? And you pontificate about others squirting mere light into the water?
    Quaintly put John.

Uncle Albert is a Luddite of the first order, and in fact I'm disgusted that he has already progressed to a sailing boat from his coracle!

It's an interesting point & the dancing pinpoints of luminous starlights that follow a late night perambulation of the decks could be the highlight of an evening.

Urine is sterile as it leaves the body & contains many nutrients useful to many forms of sea life - most of which have evolved specifially to filter such nutrients from the sea.

At sea (especially with strong tides) there is little pollution from a handful of people on a boat, it is marinas & inland waters where the pollution can accumulate & tanks are necessary. Once the effluent & treatment chemicals are collected together in a tank, the need for expensive collection, treatment & disposal becomes paramount.

BTW I am not at all against change per se, it's just change for the sake of fashion or bling that puzzles me.
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/

jfm is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Searush View Post
    Urine is sterile as it leaves the body & contains many nutrients useful to many forms of sea life - most of which have evolved specifially to filter such nutrients from the sea.

At sea (especially with strong tides) there is little pollution from a handful of people on a boat, it is marinas & inland waters where the pollution can accumulate & tanks are necessary. Once the effluent & treatment chemicals are collected together in a tank, the need for expensive collection, treatment & disposal becomes paramount.
    It's amusing Searush how you defend things that are not really that defensible. Whatever the sterile or otherwise features of urine, most of us just don't want it wafting about near our gin. I was just pointing out that to complain about others polluting the anchorage with light while pisssing in it yourself is kinda rich. Anyway, as you mention sterile, the fact is that craap is full of bacteria and other things that are an essential part of the digestion process but are still very harmful to humans if sited anywhere other than the appendix onwards. Not only after the craap been standing in a tank or whatever, but as soon as it is dumped. In the anchorage.

Which do you reckon is worse: hanging out in anchorages avec u/w lights or sans black tank?
    Last edited by jfm; 30-01-12 at 22:33.

Urinating in anchorages? Shocking!

Next thing will be people thinking it's fine and dandy to take a slash in the sea when swimming from the beach.
    Then we'll all have to get very offended and stay out of the water.

LOL, so far I've never been offended up to that point.
    But I still prefer to swim in clean and turquoise waters, rather than brownish and stinking.
    It's a matter of concentration, you know. After all, also fishes don't use black tanks.
    But swimming inside clouds of sh!t and toilet paper is not my idea of fun.
    And no matter how useless anyone can think u/w lights are, attaching the word "pollution" to them is plain ridiculous, when compared to what you can see sometimes after a whole day at anchor in crowded and sheltered anchorages, with no currrent or tide.
    In a few cases, I moved elsewhere for that reason alone, particularly when I cruised the Croatian waters, which in peak season are really crowded - and mostly by sailboats, I must say.
    Not willing to pick a raggies/stinkies fight, far from that. Just reporting a fact.
    Last edited by MapisM; 31-01-12 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Simondjuk View Post
    Urinating in anchorages? Shocking!
    No, not pisssing. Crappping! You gonna defend that then?

Quote Originally Posted by jfm View Post
    Which do you reckon is worse: hanging out in anchorages avec u/w lights or sans black tank?
    Hey John I see a new poll starting here...

Q: What is worse

a. underwater lights?

b, swimming in sh*t?

c, non of the above.

d, I just mind my own business and lets those who enjoy get on with it.

answers on a post card and send to the common sense department IPC media etc etc.

I'll vote d even before the poll starts, with a double entendre on "business" :-)

Cue the late, great Ian Dury:

"I took a sudden notion
    To go down to the ocean
    I'd got my sun-tan lotion
    My flippers and my mask

Improper distribution
    Of fully-formed ablutions
    Formed an ocean of pollution
    In which I daredn't bask

Some turds were teeny-tiny
    And some were big and shiny
    But they all ****ed up the briney
    In which I dipped my toe

..."

I'm amazed that people crowd together in tideless waters to defecate. It must be a Mediterranean/ Carribean thing. But fortunately I do not sail in such fetid waters.

I enjoy 30' tides twice daily & while some of the fine silt estuaries do have muddy waters, most of the coarse sand & rocky areas that I mainly frequent have pristine crystal clear waters famous for their commercial Mussel & Cockle beds. Funny that such filter feeders don't seem to spread death & disease wherever they are sold if our waters are as filthy as you appear to think.

You may sail in dirty water, but I don't seem to.

Funny old world innit?
    Boaty junk clogging up your shed or lockers? Chuck it in http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Marinaskip

Want a used bike, spares or repairs in Staffordshire? Visit http://back2bikes.org.uk/