Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Default Ref dirty

If getting it dirty is a problem it can be shrunk wrapped for not a lot of ££££ they do a fab job and it also stops branch scratches if the driver is careless or the road narrow. With all the **** on the roads the moment a no brainer for me! Jon
    Having fun out on the water!http://www.mendezmarine.co.uk

EME is offline Registered User

Default Shrink-Wrapping

Yes, excellent idea -- many if not most of the boats arriving down here from the UK now are shrink-wrapped.

What dates you looking at JLC? ..... I'm in UK for a few days in March but we'll sort it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmendez View Post
    If getting it dirty is a problem it can be shrunk wrapped for not a lot of ££££ they do a fab job and it also stops branch scratches if the driver is careless or the road narrow. With all the **** on the roads the moment a no brainer for me! Jon
    Hi Jon

I think it depends on your definition of cheap, really. Last time I looked into this it was high £00's. I've got a tonneau cover for the T40 so I was planning just to use that to protect the cockpit.

Cheers
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by EME View Post
    What dates you looking at JLC? ..... I'm in UK for a few days in March but we'll sort it!
    I'm hoping to get a firm date tomorrow, but latest indication is w/c 19 March. I'm slightly at the mercy of the trucking firm.

Cheers
    Jimmy

ACE is offline Registered User

Jimmy

Your bringing back lots of memories

Here is mine arrive in Spain, she does get pretty dirty so I would go with a shrink wrap if its available it wasn’t for me we just used tarpaulins, lots of elbow required when she got there ….

The one thing I would watch out for is and please excuse me I am not very technical but I think it was the water intake elbows anyway the picture shows them if and when they lift the legs up on the trailer watch they don’t lift the legs too high as these are only rubber and tear very easily mine where a mess when they got down there and only really luck my guys spotted it before we put her into the water ?? They allow water into cool the engine….

Then the fun starts you’ve got to put her all together again !!! which wire goes where again ???

ALL good fun in the end !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Jimmy

Your bringing back lots of memories

Here is mine arrive in Spain, she does get pretty dirty so I would go with a shrink wrap if its available it wasn’t for me we just used tarpaulins, lots of elbow required when she got there ….

The one thing I would watch out for is and please excuse me I am not very technical but I think it was the water intake elbows anyway the picture shows them if and when they lift the legs up on the trailer watch they don’t lift the legs too high as these are only rubber and tear very easily mine where a mess when they got down there and only really luck my guys spotted it before we put her into the water ?? They allow water into cool the engine….

Then the fun starts you’ve got to put her all together again !!! which wire goes where again ???

ALL good fun in the end !!!!
    Hi Ace

Hmmm, so that's three votes for the shrinkwrap. Maybe I'd better get a fresh quote.

Interesting point about the bellows, I'll watch out for that, thanks. The goalpost removal/refit shouldn't be too bad, I've already taken it off the boat once before.

All I've got to do now is to get RK to put the blimmin drives back on so that we can get it wet and try everything out before she goes...

Cheers
    Jimmy

mikef is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_the_builder View Post

Hmmm, so that's three votes for the shrinkwrap. Maybe I'd better get a fresh quote.
    Its probably a good idea but having said that I trucked my T48 back to the UK from SoF (to sell it) and also my previous Ferretti from Holland to SoF and I didn't bother with shrink wrapping. The company that did my Ferretti (Van d Wettering) were excellent and cleaned up the boat, put the flybridge back together again and relaunched it on arrival as part of the service. I would be more concerned about choosing a reputable transport company with good drivers who try not to take chunks out of your boat on trees and lamposts.
    One point you do need to consider is insurance. Most trucking companies say they offer insurance but what they offer is standard CMR insurance which is calculated on a cost per kg basis and will massively understate the value of your boat. You should talk to your insurance co and ask them to specifically cover the boat to its full value for the journey, even if it means paying an extra premium

kashurst is offline Registered User

when I trucked my boat last year the transport people asked about shrink wrapping. They prefered that it wasn't wrapped as often it comes adrift and starts flailing about - this can cause damage to the boat, so it seems shrink wrapping is a mixed blessing if going by road. Its probably better to wrap if going by ship to keep the exhaust deposits off. My boat was pretty dirty when it arrived but mostly dust and bits of leaves etc - easy to clean.

ACE if your elbows and hoses split when the drives were beached, there well past there sell by date and will require replacing otherwise you will one day get overheating probs when on the plane, the hoses should be nice and flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by kashurst View Post
    when I trucked my boat last year the transport people asked about shrink wrapping. They prefered that it wasn't wrapped as often it comes adrift and starts flailing about - this can cause damage to the boat, so it seems shrink wrapping is a mixed blessing if going by road. Its probably better to wrap if going by ship to keep the exhaust deposits off. My boat was pretty dirty when it arrived but mostly dust and bits of leaves etc - easy to clean.
    Yep, this is what the transport firm I'm using have said this morning as well. So, I think it's a no.

Cheers
    Jimmy

Page 12 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast