Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

I think it depends on how lucky you are with the individual you meet.
    I once had a very frosty reception from a toffee nosed woman at Medway Yacht Club, absolutely refused use of a mooring or showers or bar, even though it was early season and many of their boats were still ashore. I've never been back, but friends tell me it's a very welcoming club [usually].

truscott is offline Registered User

My home yacht club, the Royal Suva Yacht Club, welcomes all yachtsman who arrive in their own vessels, whether members of other clubs or not. It also welcomes many off the street guest also, but usually only if you've stopped by the office on your way to the bar.

My current club, the Bahrain Yacht Club, welcomes all members of other Yacht Clubs, but sadly can be a trifle snooty to anyone not affiliated with another club. I have never quite managed to work out why.

My local watering hole when back in the UK is the Torpoint Mosquito Sailing Club (it's not in Plymouth but probably near enough to count), who I have found to be easily the most welcoming of any of the clubs that I have ever passed through.

The Royal new Zealand yacht Squadron rates as the most unwelcoming of any club I have ever visited, and I worked there. Had to resign as a barman, just to attend a work do in the restaurant! Quite enjoyed the call later in the evening, enquiring why I wasn't working that night.

Some Yacht Clubs really understand the idea of "Club", and some are just run by *******s.

PT.

Not sure that this answers the Op's query though.

prv is online now Registered User

I guess the problem in the Solent is that there are so many more people that they have to be a little cautious about just throwing open the doors to anybody passing by from five miles up the road. Can't imagine anywhere behaving as absurdly as your 1974 experience though. Might be worth making sure it's clear you genuinely are a "visiting yachtsman" from further afield, rather than just popped round the corner from Hamble Point.

Pete

Babylon is offline Registered User

I went into one as a tourist in Madiera once, part of a new residential development alongside a marina where the label 'Yacht Club' seemed to be nothing more than something to do with marketing. and patronised by smartly-dressed local toffs.

In the meantime, back in the Solent, if you care to stop up the Hamble on the HM's pontoon (rates pretty reasonable), you could always walk up a couple of hundred yards to the RAFYC and ask to use the (very nice modern) showers. I don't know what the official policy is, but I'd be amazed if - as a bona fide sailor off a yacht - you'd be turned away. Friendly place, good bar also. You could also use their scrubbing grid as a visitor if you needed to, very powerful washer etc.... but maybe you'd be a little safer if you just stick to the showers!

Seajet is offline Registered User

mogy,

the pub by Lymington town quay always used to offer showers - and breakfasts - maybe someone can confirm if this is still the case.

Brading Haven YC in Bembridge is a very friendly club, so is Langstone SC at the head of Langstone Hr or NW corner of Chichester, but half tide ( unless in Northney marina ) and only weekends.

Maybe not en route for you but I can also recommend Brixham YC; The Royal Fowey & Royal Western ( Plymouth ) used to be very friendly but haven't visited them in years.

While I'm on the subject, let me add another two to my list of 'I'll Certainly Go Back There Again'....

Take a bow, 'The Fowey Galants', and The RAFYC.

Quote Originally Posted by truscott View Post
    My home yacht club, the Royal Suva Yacht Club, welcomes all yachtsman who arrive in their own vessels, whether members of other clubs or not. It also welcomes many off the street guest also, but usually only if you've stopped by the office on your way to the bar.

Then no doubt you will know my favourite, Musket Cove YC. One day must get round to doing the MC to Vanuatu Race, always been an ambition!
    Real men do it two handed

truscott is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by doris View Post
    Then no doubt you will know my favourite, Musket Cove YC. One day must get round to doing the MC to Vanuatu Race, always been an ambition!
    Certainly do! And the Golf course on Malolo lai lai is still my favourite!

PT.

Oddly enough, my experience has been the reverse of the OP. I have never had anything but courtesy and helpfullness in UK clubs from the IoM round to the east coast but I have been turned away in Spain where clubs are much more "gentleman's " clubs if a foreigner can ever be a gentleman.

And SWMBO insists that I usually dress like a tramp. In fact I got mistaken for one once, but thats another story.
    Last edited by Bosun Higgs; 10-02-12 at 07:26. Reason: "Spain" had been typed as "pain" !

25931 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by snowleopard View Post
    I was told that Yacht Clubs in Spain are often just smart social clubs and don't really like scruffy yotties. I only went into a couple and they gave the impression of being pretty up-market. Was there any truth in what I heard?
    Ive never been turned away by any yacht club in any country although some have required an entry in the visitors book naming my club.
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast