Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Quote Originally Posted by Seven Spades View Post
    I Think it would have been easier to print a black list of clubs that don't welcome visiting yachtsmen it would be a much shorter list.
    You say that, but there are two or three on the list which I have found really unfriendly and one or two that have been criticised which I have found very welcoming. As much as it can be the steward on the day I am just as sure it can also sometimes be the way the yottie in question conducts themselves.

I'm not sure a thread of 'unfriendly yachtclubs' would make very pleasant reading and would lead to more than a few rows.

tonijon is offline Registered User
    Location : east coast can be found most weekends at the Blackwater Sailing Club

the island sc in cowes is very friendly and excellent free showers and a good bar with friendly staff ivor the bar steward will quite often put Wimbledon on the tv when its quite but can run cold quickly when busy! royal Corinthian is also very friendly.
    Dyslexics rule K.O

A very worthy mention for the Dartmouth Yacht Club. Last year, after a quite horrific beat from Brixham, into quickly strengthening winds, we stopped in Dartmouth. I wandered down to the YC to grab a beer and unwind after the experience. I was offered use of their facilities should we wish to use them in the morning (I hadn't even asked - having just used the marina facilities I hope I didn't look like I needed them either...). I was also given a considerable amount of help by the members who were in the Club on the day as I tried to find someone to help get the boat back to Plymouth (as I was losing my only experienced crew-member on this un-planned stop).

If I recall correctly I was, several years ago, some type of associate member of the club (by dint of being up on the hill at the time). As such I suppose I held the club in some sort of affection anyway, but this experience has certainly cemented my view of the DYC as a brilliant club, even as someone who is now completely unconnected to it.

Quote Originally Posted by mogy View Post
    well they do tolerate scruffy ingleses
    To tell you a story, we landed in Bilbao after crossing biscay in our cat. We berthed on a pontoon at the Real Club Maritimo which from memory had two swimming pools, loads of servants and washrooms that would do credit to a hotel. Very posh by UK standards. But they didnt have a launderette - apparently Spaniards who can afford a boat in a marina can also afford a maid, so we couldnt find a launderette in town either. Instead I hoiked the avon onto the pontoon, filled it with lukewarm water and trod the washing as if it were grapes. Worked a treat but left us with drying laundry pegged to all 4 sides of the cat's guardrails.

I dont know what made me wonder, if it was the odd looks we got from the club members , but I had a word with the guy running the club marina to ask him if we were breaking any rules / doing something they didnt like.

The reply was " don't worry sir - I have told them you are French".

So you see, however scruffy an Englishman becomes, he never quite sinks to the level of the French.

Quote Originally Posted by skisimon View Post
    A very worthy mention for the Dartmouth Yacht Club. Last year, after a quite horrific beat from Brixham, into quickly strengthening winds, we stopped in Dartmouth. I wandered down to the YC to grab a beer and unwind after the experience. I was offered use of their facilities should we wish to use them in the morning (I hadn't even asked - having just used the marina facilities I hope I didn't look like I needed them either...). I was also given a considerable amount of help by the members who were in the Club on the day as I tried to find someone to help get the boat back to Plymouth (as I was losing my only experienced crew-member on this un-planned stop).

If I recall correctly I was, several years ago, some type of associate member of the club (by dint of being up on the hill at the time). As such I suppose I held the club in some sort of affection anyway, but this experience has certainly cemented my view of the DYC as a brilliant club, even as someone who is now completely unconnected to it.
    Exactly our experience too, first time in the commodore insisted on buying our first drinks. And the food is excellent (that's in the club itself, NOT upstairs in Sails restaurant, very poor fare there a few weeks ago). Highly recommended.

Smile

Over Easter, we spent a very pleasant evening at Parkstone Yacht Club in Poole Harbour.
    I guess is some ways it's a bit of a strange scenario in that the yacht haven, in which we were moored, appears to function as commercial marina in it's own right, but the club itself was very welcoming to a bunch of charter sailors.
    Good beer, friendly chatty members and very helpful steward and berthing master. Whenever I'm back in Poole, I'll certainly give them a call to see if they'll have us again.