Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm recession. What recession?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    I'd definately go for something with a full beam master cabin.
    It makes such a difference.
    I know some will dissagree but the difference takes you from "camping" overnight to "full living" away from home.
    And, personally, I often cant sleep well in a forward cabin - too much "slap and tickle" - waves splashing against the bow that is.

In fact I'd even move to a "Broom style" aft cabin boat before going back to a forward master cabin.

IMHO, the P54 is one of the pretiest FBs built.
    I'd definately streatch the budget for a P54 - there seem to be a good few to choose from at the moment. D12s as well - reasonable engines - I've had a couple of the older D12s and they were both fine.
    Wise words from Hurricane. Although it's a slightly older model, I much prefer the detail of the styling of the P54 over the P50mk3. Isn't it the case that the P54 is about to be discontinued though? Might make a difference to the residuals I guess, although you know better than anyone that it's all in the buying.

+1 for your comment about Adam Essex. Top bloke, you won't get a safer pair of hands at Princess.

Cheers
    Jimmy

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I'm not sure a Fairline is for us. We looked at a used 48 at the boat show and it wasn't really doing it for us. Your old 50 looks lovely in tems of condition and spec but again I'm not sure the overall boat is what we're after.

We first met Adam when we bought the 42 and I've always found him straight talking and easy to deal with. In fact all the team at Princess have been good and I think that's half the battle with boats finding a support network that works for you.

The one wild card that is on the radar is the Beneteau Swift Trawler 52. We looked at one a few years ago at Southampton and the whole lifestyle thing appeals. Not sure about the looks in all areas and have no idea what they're like in reality. They are all based overseas and we'd need to get our absolute best haggling hat on so the idea might be dead in the water from the outset.

We know the Princess boats work for us. I've yet to actually go out to sea in a 50 so have no idea how it will compare to our very familiar 42.

Henry

z1ppy is offline Registered User

Good luck all round Henry! the 50 or 54 look lovely! (although i would love a 42 to be honest!)

hopefully be seeing you on the water for Cowes Torquay this year!

henry

not thought of going for the genuine article?

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/19...2171513/France

or even better, this?

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/20...-2184481/Italy
    Last edited by Firefly625; 09-02-12 at 09:17.

mjf is offline Registered User

Blimey hentyf that was fast footwork.

If the sale does ahead who got the lead you or broker channel?

I like your next choice too but the 15m length does close some cruise location doors but I guess thats a nice compromise to pay :-) Well done indeed and good luck! What a great position to be in!

mikef is online now Registered User

IMHO, the later P50 with the midships master cabin was one of the best boats Princess built and I nearly bought one instead of my current Ferretti. Apart from the master cabin, I think Princess get it spot on with their flybridge designs. I agree with Hurricane; I would not buy another boat with a forward master cabin. Apart from the space issue, I also find the constant slap slap at anchor to be annoying at night and my SWMBO hates the fact that you have to climb up into the bed. Best of luck finding what you want

Hurricane is online now Registered User

Yes, the team at Swanwick are fantastic.
    We continue to get support from them.
    With this experience in mind, personally I would be nervous going elsewhere.
    Its a big thing buying a boat and being able to rely on the supplier is a huge benefit.
    Certainly worth considering alongside the actual boat's features.

Remember ALL boats have some kind of failure or other so fixing them is vital.

mikef is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Yes, the team at Swanwick are fantastic.
    We continue to get support from them.
    With this experience in mind, personally I would be nervous going elsewhere.
    Its a big thing buying a boat and being able to rely on the supplier is a huge benefit.
    100% agree with that. It was one of the reasons that I bought another Ferretti after the last one. I liked and trusted the UK dealer, Ventura, and I knew they would do their best to help when things go pear shaped as they inevitably do somewhere in the buying process

That was a quick sale henryf, hope it goes through OK. IIRC the P54 used for the MBY test was a bit slow and quite thirsty. They put it down to fine tuning of the props, and MBY made some quite generous assumptions of the performance you could expect once the fine tuning was done. They may well be right of course, and i've not heard of owners complaining about these issues, but it might be something to research a bit if you decide to go P54 route.