Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    gps999 is offline Registered User

Default What do u think?

Ive removed the MD7A and saildrive from my boat. Engine room cleaned painted and refitted ready for a Beta 20 and saildrive.

My question concerns the tank of red diesel. Now would be the perfect time to drain and clean if necessary.

I am thinking about running the new engine only on the white stuff in anticipation of the red disappearing,(not not mention problems when across the channel) ?

What do the informed folk on here think?

Quote Originally Posted by gps999 View Post
    Ive removed the MD7A and saildrive from my boat. Engine room cleaned painted and refitted ready for a Beta 20 and saildrive.

My question concerns the tank of red diesel. Now would be the perfect time to drain and clean if necessary.

I am thinking about running the new engine only on the white stuff in anticipation of the red disappearing,(not not mention problems when across the channel) ?

do you plan to visit Belgium then
    I may be wrong but not always

Don't think anyone checks whether the engine has any red stain in it - only the colour of the fuel in the tank. So if you can use up the existing fuel on this side of the channel, why waste it? If you're about to head off for Belgium, then I guess it might be worth draining the tank.
    Jonathan / Aeolus

VicS is offline Registered User

If the tank can only be removed after removing the engine then now is a good time to take it out to clean and inspect ... irrespective of the colour or creed of the fuel it contains.

Quote Originally Posted by gps999 View Post

I have 120 litres of it in my tank in Holland, Been there near 12 months now and no one has checked, customs been on 3 times but havent asked to look. Ive even got the receipt there waiting to shop them.
    I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
    I have 120 litres of it in my tank in Holland, Been there near 12 months now and no one has checked, customs been on 3 times but havent asked to look. Ive even got the receipt there waiting to shop them.
    tell the whole story then
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by sailorman View Post
    tell the whole story then
    The Dutch customs seem to only care about the length of your knife blades...
    Didnt even question the full tank of fuel
    I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.

rob2 is offline Registered User

Think laterally. If you're going to clean the tank, regardless of whether you then change to road derv, why not get value from your discarded fuel by offering it in appreciation of other boat owners' assistance with your refit? I'm all for trading favours to save cash, but some form of thankyou is appreciated - like when someone has done half a day's work for you, commercial value nigh on two hundred smackers (?), paying for the pub lunch just lets them how much it was appreciated and gives you an excuse for a decent meal.

Rob.

Seajet is offline Registered User

Cleaning & checking the tank is far more important than the fuel in it; if it's a valuable amount, decant it then refill afterwards, but I suggest you don't pass up a chance like this.

I was once on a motorsailer with 2 large tanks, untouched for years; I insisted on checking & cleaning the tanks, as were obviously in for a rolly ride in this boat across Biscay.

Both tanks had a layer of sludge a good inch deep, just waiting for a chance for a blockage .

ianat182 is offline Registered User

Unless your tank is a stainless one there's likely to be some corrosion and grunge in the bottom of it. If it is sound then perhaps a PELA pump could be used to drain it in situ and perhaps remove some of the grunge, however at the stage you've reached and have the access, I'd get the whole tank out so it can be thoroughly drained/cleaned more easily. Make sure you don't crush the vent pipe when putting it back in.

ianat182