Page 1 of 35 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Exclamation What's the RYA's response to British boats being BANNED from Belgium?

Probably the most significant event to affect our sport, the effective banning of British boats from Belgium should be calling the RYA to action. I CANNOT BUY ANY OTHER THAN RED DIESEL, therefore it's illegal for me to go to Belgium. From what I see, it's a slow-burner with various articles being published, for example the lead news article in this month's YM (March 2012), but not a lot else.

I really like going to Oostende; a really nice destination. The North Sea Yacht Club is fantastic, as is the famous Robert. And the moule-frite are to die for, even challenging the kebab and chips in Ramsgate.

However, I'm damned if I'm going to be caught up in a game of Fine the Yachtie by a bunch of Belgoid plods. Arguing with them is like wrestling a pig (pun intended). From my experiences with dealing with Belgian bureaucracy, they really do love it.

So now the issue has been forced, we're caught up in the mess that should be sorted out by our governments with the RYA screaming at them to sort it out. To quote from the RYA site: "We continue to lobby the Directorate for Taxation and Customs".

Great, in the meantime it's us the Yachties who are going to be caught in the middle.

So where's the advice that says KEEP OUT OF BELGIUM? What about a forced refuge there -- doesn't this contravene any international shipping laws? What about the RYA supporting vessels and owners who get fined?

What hacks me off is that it's only a gnats tadger away from the French and Dutch BANNING British boats from their shores. Then the whole issue of E-Borders becomes moot as we can't sail anywhere.

Quite frankly if the RYA doesn't get this sorted out, there's little point in sailing as a hobby and there's little point of the RYA.

BlowingOldBoots is offline Registered User

We are not banned from Belgium and VAT on diesel is hardly an issue to stop such a lovely pastime / sport.
    Having time is unavoidable.

How about fitting another fuel tank in a spare cockpit locker? Probably wouldn't even have to connect it up ... give them something to check/dip. Or if you really want to do it properly you really could connect it up and just use it for the occasion!

One look at the primary filter...

In any case, that's "fraud"!

Quote Originally Posted by GlennG View Post
    Probably the most significant event to affect our sport, the effective banning of British boats from Belgium should be calling the RYA to action. I CANNOT BUY ANY OTHER THAN RED DIESEL, therefore it's illegal for me to go to Belgium. From what I see, it's a slow-burner with various articles being published, for example the lead news article in this month's YM (March 2012), but not a lot else.

I really like going to Oostende; a really nice destination. The North Sea Yacht Club is fantastic, as is the famous Robert. And the moule-frite are to die for, even challenging the kebab and chips in Ramsgate.

However, I'm damned if I'm going to be caught up in a game of Fine the Yachtie by a bunch of Belgoid plods. Arguing with them is like wrestling a pig (pun intended). From my experiences with dealing with Belgian bureaucracy, they really do love it.

So now the issue has been forced, we're caught up in the mess that should be sorted out by our governments with the RYA screaming at them to sort it out. To quote from the RYA site: "We continue to lobby the Directorate for Taxation and Customs".

Great, in the meantime it's us the Yachties who are going to be caught in the middle.

So where's the advice that says KEEP OUT OF BELGIUM? What about a forced refuge there -- doesn't this contravene any international shipping laws? What about the RYA supporting vessels and owners who get fined?

What hacks me off is that it's only a gnats tadger away from the French and Dutch BANNING British boats from their shores. Then the whole issue of E-Borders becomes moot as we can't sail anywhere.

Quite frankly if the RYA doesn't get this sorted out, there's little point in sailing as a hobby and there's little point of the RYA.
    mail to the RYA via their site contact

i have been a member since 1974.
    i have sailed into Oostende since 1970. i visit 2 to 3 times a year from the East Coast.
    it now seems we ( cruising & racing sailors) have a problem with tinted diesel fuel. the response from the RYA is lamentable. i am seriously considering my membership after 38 years of continuous membership, what after all am i paying for.
    please view this link & take note over the next few weeks.
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304240
    Kind regards
    I may be wrong but not always

Quote Originally Posted by BlowingOldBoots View Post
    We are not banned from Belgium and VAT on diesel is hardly an issue to stop such a lovely pastime / sport.
    I'll disagree. I like to go over for the May bank holiday with a bunch of other East Coast boats. Now we can't as we risk being fined.

I can't get any other diesel than red diesel from any marina. Therefore unless we steam clean our tanks and fill our boats with white diesel from cans, we'll be fined for entering Belgian waters.

That means I'm banned.

www.guapa.pn
    Be realistic - aim for the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Guapa View Post
    Have you been to Belgium
    I may be wrong but not always

Glenn's point is that by their stance on the use of marked fuel (aka red diesel, to us) the Belgians are effectively saying "you can't come here" as British Boats, in many instances, have access to marked fuel only. So it's effectively a ban

The Belgian embassy has confirmed this in a letter in response to an enquiry. The Dutch have said there's no problem. Not sure if the French have opined yet.

I'm worried that the bigger an issue we make of it the more likely the Belgians are to feel the need to make an issue of it.