Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Default Moving from mobo to pilothouse yacht

Posted the following on Scuttlebutt, but posting here too to get any feedback from the readers here.

We've decided to sell our current motorboat and buy a sail boat. We know pretty much nothing about the saily bits, other than they don't need diesel to make them push the boat along We've had a look around and a good think and decided on what we "think" we want/don't want and concluded that a motor sailor or pilothouse yacht fits our requirements.

So far, we've only really looked online. Looked at Colvic Watsons, Colvic Victors, Fishers, Nauticats, Jeanneau Espaces, Moody Eclipses and a few other odd ones. A close look has weeded several out for one reason or another and we seem to be left with the Colvic Victor 40, Jeanneau Espace and possibly the Moody Eclipse.

We are UK based and like to use the boat all year round, to some extent, currently East Coast based, but a move the the South Coast (Dover/Ramsgate area) wouldn't be ruled out in a year or so. Our requirements are :

Able to helm from inside or out.
    Pilothouse/wheelhouse design to avoid the "cave" as much as possible.
    A powerful enough engine to sensibly motor.
    Possible to be sailed by couple in their 50's.

We like the odd days fishing, so would need to be able to either motor sensibly, or sail in light winds and sit at anchor nicely.

My current thought are that the Colvic Victor 40 looks good value and seems to fit the above, provided the typical 60HP engine is big enough to push the boat at something like hull speed.

The Jeanneau Espace also looks to tick all the boxes and also being typically fitted with 50/60HP engines, should be powerful enough ?

The Moody Eclipse 33 is a touch smaller than i had in mind, but looks a nice boat. I'm a bit put of by the small engines that seem to be fitted to these, circa 30HP.

Any feedback on the above three would be appreciated, as would any suggestions of others to look at. We're looking for something around 35-40 feet, with a budget of 50k-60k

Might not get too many answers to this on here!!

We looked to move to sail last year but have decided to stay with a mobo for now. I fancied a pilot house for the same reasons that you give but to be honest I couldn't find anything out there that fitted the bill and more importantly that SWMBO liked.

You open up a few more options if you might consider a deck saloon, which sometimes have the ability to helm from inside and avoid the 'cave effect'. There was a Moody something or other on with Michael Scmidt at Hamble Point - may have been a bit higher than you budget but if it hasn't sold you never know. Bit dated but a lot of boat and a bit of a re-furb on fabrics would have improved it. Might have been an Eclipse but can't remember.

Thing with a motor sailer is that they often don't sail too well. That said probably okay for what you want but not for a purist sailor!

Nauticat may be an option but tend to be a bit pricey. There is a 33 on with Norfolk Boat Sales for 75k which is a bit higher than your budget but might be open to an offer......

Good luck with your search.

cliffdale is online now Registered User

I went through the same motions last year. In the end I bought a nice sailing yacht.

Here is the discussion link last year. It may give you some pointers.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265708

Cliff

Ripster is online now Registered User

We really fancy the same sort of idea when we retire in a few years and have more time to spend aboard. We soon worked out the same as you, that to avoid the cave, DS/pilothse would be the design and it would need to be around 38-40' mark to give the same sort of room we are used to on the 33ft FB. The Nauticats are beautifully made and the Moody DS is nice too. But have a look at this: http://www.nordhavn.com/models/56/ I know, I know its a bit over budget, but that is proper MS.

Be interested to see what you end up buying and if you like it. When do you start your sailing courses and are you thinking of buying anything additional (trailer sailor perhaps) to have a go in - or is that not relevant to bigger yachts? I too am a complete novice and have only ever been a guest on one - good luck with it all.
    Think outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffdale View Post
    I went through the same motions last year. In the end I bought a nice sailing yacht.

Here is the discussion link last year. It may give you some pointers.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265708

Cliff
    Thanks Cliff, will have a read of that. What did you end up with and how are you finding it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster View Post
    We really fancy the same sort of idea when we retire in a few years and have more time to spend aboard. We soon worked out the same as you, that to avoid the cave, DS/pilothse would be the design and it would need to be around 38-40' mark to give the same sort of room we are used to on the 33ft FB. The Nauticats are beautifully made and the Moody DS is nice too. But have a look at this: http://www.nordhavn.com/models/56/ I know, I know its a bit over budget, but that is proper MS.

Be interested to see what you end up buying and if you like it. When do you start your sailing courses and are you thinking of buying anything additional (trailer sailor perhaps) to have a go in - or is that not relevant to bigger yachts? I too am a complete novice and have only ever been a guest on one - good luck with it all.
    Need to save up some more for the Nordhavn lol.

Seen a few models now that are slowly building into a shortlist, one of which is the Moody Eclipse. The Jeanneau Espace is looking very favourable too. Will do some more looking and see if we can get a guest trip or two on some friends yachts before taking any courses.

Philiz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PaulGooch View Post

We've decided to sell our current motorboat and buy a sail boat.
    Us too!

We know pretty much nothing about the saily bits,
    Get a few mates with yachts, make sure you like it first before you take the leap, there's quite a bit to learn.

other than they don't need diesel to make them push the boat along
    Who told you that?

Able to helm from inside or out.
    Yer big girls blouse!
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Divemaster1 is online now Registered User

.......... as would any suggestions of others to look at. We're looking for something around 35-40 feet, with a budget of 50k-60k
    Difficult bracket you're looking at, but a well kept Nauticat 33 should be obtainable .... if you would consider an older Nauticat, you could also consider one of the best looking mororsailers (IMHO) which were built in Norway ...

Fjord MS 33

http://en.cosasdebarcos.com/barco_34...250514550.html

Sails very well, and motors pretty good with a 50 hp engine...
    Regards, Alf

I've stopped drinking water .... I have seen what it does to the bottom of our boat!

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Whitelighter is offline Registered User

What about a Trident Voyager 38 or 40? Older boat, most will be late 80's/early 90's are solid and sail quite well. My father sailed one out of Beaulie for many years and it was always good fun and accommodating over night.

The 40 is a bigger boat, and has a novel split cockpit with a raised steering position up high, two companionways, a decent galley and most even had twin engines.

One here for sale in the west country - bit more than budget but its a buyers market...

The full advert is here: http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/core/lis...url=&imc=pg-fs

There are a few on yachtworld, and the others are less money but this looks the nicest and most local
    Half a dinari for an old ex-boater

Quote Originally Posted by Philiz View Post
    Us too!

Get a few mates with yachts, make sure you like it first before you take the leap, there's quite a bit to learn.
    Yes, was planning to do that.

Who told you that?
    You need to put diesel on the sails ?

Yer big girls blouse!
    I never said i wasn't, i only said you was