Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Useless brokers

25931 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
    Ive always found it strange that yacht brokers, car yards and real estate agents arent open on weekends. Arent the ones working the ones with the money and we can only spend it on weekends, yet the people that sell boats, cars and houses in the UK arent open for us to make purchases etc.

I used to sell cars in Australia when i first left school and most of the sales were made on weekends. Its when the people with money were free to spend it..
    I know one estate agent who has always ( 25 years) opened all day Saturday.
    Dum spiro spero. Cras ingens iterabimus aequor.

PCUK is online now Registered User

I used two very good brokers and would recommend them wholeheartedly. The first is Adrian Nicolle on the South Coast who eventually sold the boat for me. As the boat is at Watchet on the Bristol Channel we agreed from the outset that I would handle all viewings which is the best way anyway as I could answer all the question.
    The second was Jeroen Korthuis from Astra Mare in the Nertherlands. He provided several viewings from his European clients who I met and showed round the boat. Both these brokers were excellent and I would suggest anyone selling a boat in the UK to also list it with Astra Mare to get the full European coverage. Astra Mare also work on a set fee not a percentage.

PaulGooch is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jonic View Post
    Paul I heard you were coming over from the dark side. I am sure you have had a look http://www.jryachts.com/yachtbrokeragelistings.html A couple of pilothouse/ deck saloon yachts but stock levels are generally low at the moment.

My phone is on 7 days a week if you want a chat or you can send your wish list http://www.jryachts.com/yachtbrokeragefinder.html
    I think the phrase is "coming to the dark side" John

The Nauticat on your site looks very nice, i doubt the owner would take an offer of 50 too kindly lol.

I'm in the early stages of the process, not expecting to actually make a purchase for some time yet. Will keep an eye on your listing though and once i've decided exactly what i want, i'll let you know.

Nice site by the way, good to see some decent pictures. The video tours are also a useful tool, not only to show people the layout etc, but gives a better idea of condition.

I think a lot of brokers are being left behind with the advent of the Internet. Gone are the days when they field a few phone calls from buyers doing the rounds to see what's out there. These days people surf the net and do the finding for themselves so it's essential to provide near brochure quality images of your boat.

A good broker needs to educate the vendor and that includes the asking price. There lies the biggest problem because sellers will either have the figure they want to ask in mind or go with whoever "offers" them the biggest number. The boat doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of making it but let's worry about that 6 months or a year down the line when the owner is a bit more motivated to get the boat sold.

There are buyers out there. Once we've dotted the Is and crossed the Ts I'll be spending a few quid on a replacement. As I start to look there are boats which are simply on a different planet price-wise and will never find a home. We're not talking 10-20k out either, more like 200k!

If I'm not going to bother to make a phone call to them as a genuine cash in pocket buyer then who is?

Brokerage of anything is a very odd business and the broker needs to decide exactly what they bring to the mix. They also need to be choosy about what they put on their books otherwise there is a danger buyers ignore them because they don't take them seriously or immediately assume a boat will be over priced / under condition just like everything else they have listed.

Henry

Philiz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post

Counter this with brokers who own their own stock as well. Those boats will be well presented, sensibly priced and potentially will set the market values
    Mine's for sale too, I've also taken loads of photos and put them on the intenet, they're only in a photobucket album, not a website of their own, but they're good pictures showing the bare boat with no clutter. The boat is also advertised on Appollo Duck etc. Only had half a dozen enquiries so far, but it's only been for sale since New Year.

Does anyone know just how many brokers actually do own their own (used) stock? None that I know of do, I would entertain a trade-in if the deal was acceptable.
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Quote Originally Posted by Philiz View Post
    Does anyone know just how many brokers actually do own their own (used) stock? None that I know of do, I would entertain a trade-in if the deal was acceptable.
    Essex Boatyards do, and I believe also Burton Waters, to get you started.

Cheers
    Jimmy

Philiz is offline Registered User

Thanks Jimmy!
    'I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered! My life is my own!'

Quote Originally Posted by Philiz View Post
    Mine's for sale too, I've also taken loads of photos and put them on the intenet, they're only in a photobucket album, not a website of their own, but they're good pictures showing the bare boat with no clutter. The boat is also advertised on Appollo Duck etc. Only had half a dozen enquiries so far, but it's only been for sale since New Year.

I've had a look on Apollo Duck and couldn't see a series 9 listed privately and couldn't see one with a link to a load of photos. Post up a link to the AD advert so I can see it. How old is it and how much is it?

Ultimately it will be price, condition and popularity that will see a boat. I'm not familiar with your boat. Would there be competition from new or newer boats, not necessarily identical but from a similar manufacturer which are being sold aggressively?

Post up the ad so we can have a look over it.

In terms of brokers owning their own stock, I'm not suggesting they own all the boats but they have their own boats within there. As has been said people like Essex definitely have stock boats, Princess will also sell and handle boats they own as well. Some get traded out. In either case the dealers will have a very good grasp of current values because they either have a figure they would write a cheque out for or they know what one sold for recently.

I've had so many conversations with brokers selling vastly over priced boats who won't acknowledge that fact. You just have to walk away, there's nothing you can do if person thinks they are correct. Sure enough 6 months later the price comes down but it's too late. There was a deal to be done and they missed it. Buying a boat,, even an expensive one is a moment of madness thing. When you're there with money in your pocket you want to get it sorted there and then, you don't want to mess about and drag it out for months on end.

Henry

AdeOlly is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by henryf View Post
    There lies the biggest problem because sellers will either have the figure they want to ask in mind or go with whoever "offers" them the biggest number. The boat doesn't stand a cat in hell's chance of making it but let's worry about that 6 months or a year down the line when the owner is a bit more motivated to get the boat sold.
    We viewed a 2004 boat that really was all but perfect and was obviously looked after by a fastidious owner. I'd have bought that boat instantly if the price had reflected reality. We talked numbers but the owner wouldn't budge from a hopelessly inflated price because it "'is the best on the market and I've already reduced it". Broker knew it was still overpriced, but the owner was adamant. We moved on and paid way less for a near identical boat. The broker stayed in touch and apparently at least two other people tried and failed to buy that boat after us and also moved on to buy something else, before the owner got the message.
    Adrian

Fred rift
    Last edited by scottie; 14-02-12 at 22:09. Reason: Fred rift