Default Thank you

Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me over the last month with my alternator and battery dilemma.

I'm happy to report that my Exide 225 6v batteries are now installed, so thanks to those who posted up guides and pics and also to those who helped in the battery discussion. Also the new 90amp alternator has been installed with a new bracket and the starter circuit checked. Sterling is in situ and the wires are ready, just need to connect it up.

It's early days but I feel a sigh of relief (did someone say cold beer?) at having hurdled these two obstacles.

Only problem is I have just found out my windlass motor is kaput, so it really is two steps forward and one step back! Hey ho, boats, eh?
    Last edited by demonboy; 14-02-12 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    Just wanted to thank everyone who helped me over the last month with my alternator and battery dilemma.

I'm happy to report that my Exide 225 6v batteries are now installed, so thanks to those who posted up guides and pics and also to those who helped in the battery discussion. Also the new 90amp alternator has been installed with a new bracket and the starter circuit checked. Sterling is in situ and the wires are ready, just need to connect it up.

It's early days but I feel a sigh of relief (did someone say cold beer?) at having hurdled these two obstacles.

Only problem is I have just found out my windlass motor is kaput, so it really is two steps forward and one step back! Hey ho, boats, eh?
    Investigate havoing the motor, rewound, if its the windings, as they do lots of actual "repairs" in India, rather than replacement. Getting my genny rewound here in Corfu, all down to hourly man rates.
    If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Yep, on it, Colin. Did some cursory research into the symptoms (clicking indicates solenoid ok and tried hot-wiring direct from battery and the motor didn't move) and reckon it's a case of getting the motor refurbished. As you suggest, I'm in the right place to get that kind of thing done cheaply. And thanks for your help on the battery decision. You helped persuade me that wets aren't all that bad. Mind you, I have made it Liz's project to learn how and when to top up the batteries!