Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Brilliant.

The true Jester spirit!

Tony.

March meet up in Bursledon would be good - as a soon to be Jester - (well not until May 27th) it would be good to reassure myself that I'm not just making all this tomfoolery up.

One thing keeps concerning me. I thought the Jester would be a good way to do a longish passage without spending a whole stack of cash. I might be misunderstanding the low budget aspect...

...well I am Scottish.

Quote Originally Posted by integrale44 View Post
    One thing keeps concerning me. I thought the Jester would be a good way to do a longish passage without spending a whole stack of cash. I might be misunderstanding the low budget aspect...

...well I am Scottish.
    No you have the right idea. Far easier to be a self-sufficient sailor if you adopt well proven low budget, low technology arrangements. Less expensive kit means less to go wrong. Just look at how many starters in previous challenges had to retire because of gear failure. In many cases the expensive gear that failed may not have been necesary anyway.

When I crossed the Indian Ocean in the seventies, blue water sailing meant getting away from it all. I crossed the Atlantic in 2009, and now it often looks like taking it all with you. The yachtman is a marketing opportunity, but we don't have to buy into it all. A fool and his money and all that.

Perhaps there should be an alternative finishing order ranked in terms of expenditure.

Len

Glayva is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScallywagII View Post
    Perhaps there should be an alternative finishing order ranked in terms of expenditure.

Len
    That would always be won by Bill Churchouse, who runs his boat, Belgean, on paraffin rather than electricity. Someone told me once he keeps a wind up radio in his closet, but I don't believe them.

Default The Ship Inn, Swanwick, March 26th.

After the resounding success of the last meeting, a return match has been arranged for Monday March 26th at the Ship Inn, Swanwick at 7.00pm.

The Ship is on Bridge Road, close to Moodys, now Premier.

All welcome.

Tony.

I'll be there...

Quote Originally Posted by Glayva View Post
    That would always be won by Bill Churchouse, who runs his boat, Belgean, on paraffin rather than electricity. Someone told me once he keeps a wind up radio in his closet, but I don't believe them.
    Some say " He has a big plastic bin from which he extracts methane to cook from" AND "he wares a loin cloth to allow breeze cleaning" All we know is that he's called the "Bill" and we all love him.

tarik is offline Registered User

Default Jester

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
    After the resounding success of the last meeting, a return match has been arranged for Monday March 26th at the Ship Inn, Swanwick at 7.00pm.

The Ship is on Bridge Road, close to Moodys, now Premier.

All welcome.

Tony.

Tony,

Pass on any tips please !!!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jabs View Post
    I'm in ...

Nige

I'd like to come too.
    Vince