Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Folding bikes

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    IMHO Bromptons are pretty much top of the pile; they are beautifully engineered and fold to a very small size but the cheapest ones are near 1000. Personally I didn't want to spend that much on something that was only going to be used a few times a season and will probably get nicked anyway. FWIW, we decided that Dahon represented a fair compromise on quality and value and I'll be buying a couple of 20" models shortly. Its definitely worth shopping around because different suppliers have varying prices according to their stock situation
    I've got a Brompton, but I use it a lot so it was worth the money. I also fully agree with your comments about the Dahon range. They might not be quite so durable but they are still good bikes and the range is much wider so there are plenty of options to choose from. They are well worth looking at.

I don't agree about 20" wheels as the 16" wheels of the Brompton work perfectly well. It's more to do with the overall geometry of the design but, having said that, 20" wheels will be fine. I certainly wouldn't want to fall out with somebody over just a 4" difference!

Quote Originally Posted by mikef View Post
    ...IMHO Bromptons are pretty much top of the pile; they are beautifully engineered and fold to a very small size but the cheapest ones are near 1000.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration. My Brompton cost me under 800 new.
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

We have 2 Bromptons with 3 speed gears and they are fantastic. The equivalent to a 'Leatherman' in bike form. Made in Brentford Middx and they are in great demand all over the world. They export 75% abroad. Nice to ride something designed and built here.
    Not cheap but hold value extremely if you look at what they go for on ebay!

The basic model is now listed at 840. It's unlikely that there are any discounts available off that price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rigger Mortice View Post
    The basic model is now listed at 840. It's unlikely that there are any discounts available off that price.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec026411
    759.99 for an M3L. Says it's a 2011 model, but still...
    Living the dream!
    www.yacht-tinkerbell.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Cardo View Post
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec026411
    759.99 for an M3L. Says it's a 2011 model, but still...

We sent a fair bit of time a few years ago on this loved the British made bromptons but just didn't ride as well as the larger wheel Dahons so bought 2 of the speed 7s very pleased with them

kid's inheritance is offline Registered User

Thank you all
    Regards
    Rob